Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve H.C.

Surf Launch Kayak

12 posts in this topic

Friends,

I currently have a WS Pungo classic with a skirt and love the stability of this sit in kayak. It is a great lake and bay fishing kayak. I have this itch to launch from the beach and know a sit on top is the way to go for this purpose. Any suggestions on a kayak that will take the pounding of constant surf launching.

I realize timing and technique play heavily on "clean" surf launches.

Thanks!

Steve

Hi i own an ocean yak scupperpro tw and a necky dolphin and both are great in rough surf.I have taken them out in noreasters to play around in the waves both are stable and fast.My .02C

I use a pungo in the surf all the time ...

timming.. and I also find a short kids paddle

works great for getting out fast in the waves after you get out slide it inder the shock cords for safe keeping. and grab your kayak paddle HappyWave.gif

I am the perfect reponder to this post- I have a classic pungo and a scrambler XT- They are both stable and I have had both in rough water, but I have only launched the scrambler XT in the surf.

Timing is important, but not reliable- it's possible to time waves going out, then get delayed 10-15 seconds and guess what- there is a monster waiting for you- The xt rides the waves back in like it is on a railroad track- all you need to do it try to stay straight- at the end the boat is likely to turn sideways, keep your weight centered and it is not likely to flip- I have never flipped it period.

the reason I have not taken the pungo thru the surf is:

getting in and out is not as fast or easy,

and I do not have a skirt for it, also

the XT has extreme high bow volume and lifts up over waves- does not cut thru

The weather and water has always been warm when I've been going out- so there was no need to try and stay dry

Forgot to add this....(alright, so I had to put the paddle down for a second, but boy, those disposable waterproof cameras sure are fun!

The orange kayak is an Ocean Kayak Yak Board..good for getting out of the surf (if you don't weigh much)

FeetWaves.jpgSurf1.jpg

Eric

It's all in the timing.

My son's kayak was empty (at 10 yrs old, I'll keep the good stuff with myself)

The Scrambler XT keeps a pretty straight course so with using the paddle more like a rudder, I can keep it straight and cruise on in.

Eric

Sorry for the late reply, we're deep in the throes of the hockey season.

An excellent eye !

In the picture of LittleFisher, we were just a bit south of Wallis Sands.

I have a couple of straps that go through the scupper holes and with everything lashed down, I can carry the whole thing from car to water real easy.

Eric

The most common mistake made by begginers trying to ride a wave in is to paddle forward to steer. Once the wave has you and you are surfing drag the blade behind and alongside the kayak on the side you want to turn toward. Pin the paddle shaft to your hip. It is easy to oversteer resuling in the dreaded position of being parralell to the wave. You have to keep your back arched and be quik to shift the paddle from right side drag to left side drag. Realy good waveskiers use paddles that are only 5 1/2 foot long so that they are quiker at this. Good wave selection is the key and can not be taught. The only way to learn good wave selection is to avoid any waves that look like the last one that kicked your a...s

Barrell