Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dick

anchor ?

4 posts in this topic

What type of anchor does everyone use. I've seen the foldable fluke style anchors which look to be the easiest for storage and handleing. But what weight do you need to hold bottom on a yak? (Cobra explorer) They have 1.5lb. and 3lb. in cabela's, is that enough weight? Anything larger would seem to be an overkill and a bit bulky to carry around and store in the yak.

You dont need to order from Cabelas though. They are easy to get around here and you will save on shipping. Try boaters world or local yak shops.

Barrell

Definately get the 3 lb. I have both the 1.5 and the 3. The little one is fine for still water in the fresh but in current it won't hold. I joined TimS and Dubs one night to fly fish for weaks in a river. When they saw my little anchored they laughed and said that it would never hold. They were right. The 3 also works great for anchoring in the rapids of the Delaware.

If you've got a West Marine near you they've got the best price I've found. If not try other boating supply business like barrell suggests.