Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FrankS

Herring in the Delware River

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

That's good news, Frank. I was gonna give it a shot yesterday, but the reports I read weren't very good. Maybe I'll try to jig some up next week, especially since the shad fishery has been a little disappointing.

------------------

Yep, seen boats at both good spots this week. Trenton Falls and Skudder's Falls. First time I seen boats in any numbers at Skudder's, was this week.

I know they are catching Shad at the down side of the wing dam in Lambertville. But Herring have been patchy at best. The old Fishermans Warf has also seen groups of fisherman all week. Must be enough Herring around to keep people there? Make sure you park near the port-a-potty. Eight spots are reserved for fisherman fishing on the Warf. If the parking lot guys try to charge you, tell them you are there to fish and show them your rods. They will let you through without having to pay for parking. O-)

------------------

I Fish, Therefore I Am.

RFA Member

SDO Member

[This message has been edited by Cyclops (edited 04-19-2002).]

Uh hellooo???It's mid-April.maybe it's a little early still?People fishing for Bass above the falls are poachers.They fish there so if they do get a bass they can kill it.They just peel off a bunch of line and dangle it below the drop where it's tidal.Hook up and drag the fish upstream to where it's legal to keep it.I know a guy that did that last year.Took a 41" fish out of season.Some sportsman huh?

Down by the airport where the bass spawn they poach them by the hundreds every day.

When there are no bass left AGAIN we'll see whos still out there fishin for them.

I only fish the river for bait. I live less than a mile from the river and have never targeted Striper in the river. I'm told they taste crappie, like mud. So why bother? They are there to spawn so I let them.

I work near Philly on the river, and you want to talk about poachers! Lot's of people fishing both sides of the river down this end. It's sad really. They fight the fish for so long it causes the cows to prematurely spawn from the stress. Than they tell you they are catching and releasing, gee thanks. cwm24.gif

I personally would like to see the river off limits during spawning times completely. If you want Striper go to the bays and the surf. There much better eating. crying.gif

------------------

I Fish, Therefore I Am.

RFA Member

SDO Member

The herring are beginning to arrive in good numbers at Trenton. The water has been too dirty the past couple of days, but prior was getting good. Seems to be clearing. Seen some shad falling for the herring rigs. Had one hugh one myself.

Stripers are catch and release only north of the Comm. Barry bridge until 5/30.