Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cliffblair

Short rod for trolling

5 posts in this topic

I am trying to find an inexpesive, very short rod for trolling on the yak, looked thru Walmart etc, found nothing. Someone said Cabellas, but they carry so many rods I got a heaache just hunting. Any suggestions?

Cliff Why do you want a short rod ?

Iam looking at some setups in the 7-8 foot range .Boat rod setup 3-12 oz so I dont miss any hogs.Gonna get a Shimano charter special with level wind and lever drag.Spool it up with 80 pd braid.After losing a couple of cows I decided it was time.

JoeV

------------------

Always Wishin I Was Yak Fishin

Guess I have the wrong mind set...I havent fished from my yak yet, but subconciously I figured little yak means little fish so I need a little rod.

I have an ugly stick boat rod and spinning rod, they are probably are perfect. Up this way a 5 pound blue or striper is the norm, never caught a cow.

One day off P Town I released 30 blues from 12 to 18 lbs from my tin boat, I keep wondering what it would be like to be face to face with one of those at water level from a Yak...throw the rod over board and go home??? Cliff

Anytime soon we'll be wrestling with 10-20# blues. Its fantastic at water level, by the way. Also don't think small because a yak lets you get to places that both boats and shorebound anglers aren't hitting.