Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Falbie

First dunking

18 posts in this topic

Fished Plum Island by the Hook Sat AM. Caught one bass around 27", lost another. Then when pulling my flyrod out of the holder it slipped! I made a lunge as I drifted away, over went me and the yak, took quite a bit of water into the waders, but the PFD did it's thing, needless to say the outffit sunk. I'm going back after work this week to try and snag it. In two years my first dunking, that Nav is hard to get over but it will go if you lean hard enough. Very cold.

Woody...sorry to hear about you early season swim. How was climbing back into the yak? Since you took the plunge please give us any helpful hints you can. Glad to see you you made it home safe and sound (though a little wet).

[This message has been edited by saltyh2ofly (edited 04-29-2002).]

Good luck with the snagging expedition. Sorry to hear that you lost the outfit. How deep is the water? What about a wetsuit and snorkel? There's a lot of shallow water over there.

What kind of top were you wearing? I use to wear a wading jacket but now I've switched to a paddling jacket. It keeps the water out just in case. Works well over the waders. For rain I carry a packable, breathable rain jacket that I has a hood and I can put it on if I feel the need.

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 04-29-2002).]

Glad you "only" lost the rig!

Dumping in the cold is a drag!

That icy water slowly creeping its way down your legs, filling up the feet and legs, trying to wipe the water from your eyes and get reorientated, blindly flailing about hoping to grab the yak or some other floating object, feverishly hoping to once again, spit in the eye of fate and delay your untimely demise!!!!!

Doncha just love it!!!!!

!

I could not climb back in due to the water in the waders I think. I was wearing a belt, but no rain top. I was wearing a PFD.

If the snagging expedition is unsuccessful I will be into a mask and giving it a dive. The water was over 6' thats all I know. It was a pocket that does not recieve too much current, and there was at least 50' of line out at the time, so that should aid in locating.

Come the warmer season we should all practice dumping just to be ready for the envitable.

Glad you made it in OK and you kept your priorities in their proper order. It is easy to lose sight of whats really important in times when all sorts of emotions are errupting.

One suggestion is in the future to use rod leashes when ever afloat. Won't stop the rod from going in but the urgency to retrieve it becomes a non-issue. I use those skinny paddle leashes and velcro it around both sides of my reel.

Woody's Great Adventure- Part II

Keep this up Woody and you're going to get a rep!!

If you find your pole, let me know, I have another job for you out on MV- (Squippi)

Good to hear your still kicking and fishin! You stillin for the fall trip?

Dougie V

Hey Dougie VV,

yes it was another adventure, but nothing like that night! I went over in a dead calm, it was the lunge after a expensive Scott STS that sent me into the drink. You can only lean/ lunge so far until shes gonna go.

Yes I am in for the derby fest! I thought I was one of the regulars now? Send me an email thru your new address I don't think I have it.

Woody, sorry to hear about the dunking and the misplacing of your rod. I'm glad to hear yer OK. So how did ya get back in the yak? Come on we want all the info. It helps us all learn.

------------------

SOL #669

RFA #23964F

We should have a "Dunkfest" day. First practice in calm water then get rolled at different angles in a wave. There's nothing I learned that's more important than what you need to hold on to when you go over. It makes a big difference especially if you're rolled by waves far away from the shoreline.

You can be considered a "pro" when you do a solo flip out of the yak at a 90 degree.

angle to the beach.