Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
saltyh2ofly

Yak Attack....

7 posts in this topic

Though I'm not a kayaker (yet) here is a rpt for the North Jersey shore. Fising off the Hook yesterday would have been great in a yak. Calm seas (actually flat!) because of the west wind pushed the fish off the beach a few hundred yards (sometimes closer) and the herring were in. At night the herring moved in but the bass stayed just out past the best cast of any spin fisherman. I use the fly rod and managed 3 fish in the 20" range but you could see some big splashes out there. If the weekend presents itself with favorable conditions then go by all means....cold or not the fishing will make you forget about the cold weather.

If the wind cooperates I'll be out there. I agree it takes some experience to go out through the surf in cold weather and fish. Conditions have to be good.

My first year at this sport I spent a lot of time practicing in the surf in the summer. That November I went out in some snotty weather and did great, to bad the fish didn't cooperate, but I was fine and my gear worked flawlessly. The exception being my gloves which have been remedied.

I got a kayak because I couldn't cast 300 yards.

Yo Stan,

Let me know how you like this new aspect of the sport, the Sound should be a great spot for this type of fishing. I remember in years past fishing out of City Island....bass everywhere in late Nov early Dec and close to shore. Turtle Cove off City Island and just outside of Little Neck all close to shore. Hope we still can fish the beaches together and you can teach me about the yak thing. Happy Holidays to you and the family......

Jack I'll be fishing LNB early spring then move onto Manhasset Bay. If you want to try out the kayak in LNB or Manhasset Bay I'll be more than happy to let you try it out. I won't give up the shore fishing with the No Salty's Crew. It was great fishing with everyone.

JonS great advise. Thats exactly what I'll be doing next summer. I'll be learning to launch the kayak in the surf all summer long so when the fall run starts I'll have the experience and the confidence to fish the surf.

[This message has been edited by FLYRODDER (edited 12-21-2001).]

Besides the surf I also practiced dealing with fast water on the Big D. I went out when the water was warm on weekends when there were lots of people around. I practiced manuevering in fast water and anchoring. This way when the shad run was on I could anchor up and fish. Spring isn't the time to learn this.