Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DASBOOT

New toys/New project!

20 posts in this topic

I just ordered Farmer Johns from NRS along with the Workboots!

Really looking forward to seeing what this does for my yak experience.

NRS has a GREAT sale each year.

My wife's Farmer Jane was only $54!!

Coulda had the men's also but they were out of large.

Reg. price......$109.

It would be a good idea to monitor the site for future sales.

We also got fleece tops (Pungo shirt)to go under the black Rock jkt.

I hope this is the end of it!!!

Apparently the FFInstallation wet my consructive whistle.

I'm off to Home Depot to get PVC and wheels.

This time I'll attempt a cary cart for the yak.

Saw the design on another site.

I'll keep you posted.

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 03-20-2002).]

Carts are very usefull and not hard to build. If I recall barrell has plans on his site. Try to use all plastic if you can so you can take it with you on a long drag.

Last Spring while fishing with John Stan I came across a broken Big Wheels and I picked it up to take home. He asked me why. I said that the wheels were perfect for a cart. Now I just got to put them on the cart.

Das,

Don't know what ideas you have for the cart yet but...

It's cheaper if you bend the PVC for a cart rather than glueing it with all the fittings. PVC bends with heat, fill it with sand to keep it from collapsing flat, holds and distributes heat better as well. Make 2 "M"'s, the vee in the middle very shallow to fit contour of hull bottom, one "M" fits inside the other so it folds flat. Run an axle thru all the ends for the wheels. Axle forms pivot for the "M"'s. Spread the "M" tops apart, put a strap between the top of the "M"'s to hold them spread. Strap kayak on top on "M"'s, 2 straps, one for each "M" over middle of kayak. Haven't tried this yet but it's been done. I think you can just heat the PVC by rotating it over a propane torch, keep it moving. If you make the wheels removable will store very small.

Jim

OldJohn,

I should've realized that after spending $360 for a roof rack just to carry the damn things!!!

All I wanted to do was paddle around and catch some fish, now there's a fishfinder,float charger, bootfoot waders, wetsuits, boots, thermal tops, jackets, pulley systems,flares, whistles, bungees, clips, sinking line outfit, carry cart....have I missed anything???!!!!confused.gif

And the REAL kicker.......I HAVEN'T CAUGHT ONE FISH FROM THE YAK YET!!!biggrin.gif:

As for the carry cart, the design I had in mind was very simple.

2 vertical 3/4" PVC tubes up through the rear scupper holes.

Each of these attached to a "T" joint w/another tube going horizontal to support the hull.

The tubes extend another 5" or so to another hoizontal tube onto which will go 4(2 on ea.side)plastic hub wheels.

This 2nd horizontal is to give me more clearance when I lift the bow of the boat.

4 wheels instead of 2 for better traction in sand.

My big question is how to attach the wheels.

I intend to put the cart on the back of the yak.

A threaded bar would be the easiest but thats gonna rust.

he version I saw had an end cap on the PVC onto which the wheel was mounted.

That was only a 2 wheel version.

Am I on track here?

I'm not an engineer but I want it SIMPLE!

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Das,

I made a PVC cart for my Fish n Dive. Taking it off the lawn, off the curb, the 3/4" PVC that was thru the scuppers snapped. Your yak weighs a little less than mine, but it didn't take much to break it. I was using white schedule 40 because I couldn't find the 80. I would suggest using schedule 80 pvc if you can find all the pieces for it.

The other option is to save the headaches and buy the $110 aluminum frame cart and maybe you'll have the time to actually use that thing.wink.gif

DASBOOT how about a handheld GPS. You can pinpoint your exact hotspots. Also you will need a compass even though a GPS has 1 its always better to carry a compass. Heavy fog can roll in, in seconds. You'll need it to find your way back.

I've tried to make two different style kayak cart. Thru scupper holes and full hull carry. Both were really cool and worked well on the lawn. Then I used them under load and on the beach. Long story short ... even with oak reinforced pipes they all broke.

I'm looking for an online version with aluminum frame, rubber wheels, and stowable in a 10" hatch. I have found some really nice ones from $70.00 and up. I even found a stainless steel version for more money than I'm willing to pay.

I figured out if I had ordered one two years ago I would have saved about $40.00 in material cost and much more in time spent. So goes the learning curve.

When a PVC pipe gets heated up to about 186 degrees it softens and can be bent rather easily. Since it can burn I would much rather heat it with boiling water than a torch. Filling it with sand is a good idea. The trick in designing these setups is not to have any long unsupported members. Cross brace them wherever possible. Also the larger the diameter the stiffer it will be.

It really is neat stuff to make things with and you can't beat the price.

YOU GUYS HAVE GIVEN ME A SEVERE DOSE OF REALITY!!!frown.gif

I'd hate to go thru all this and have the darn thing just asnap in half on me!!!

OZ, maybe the thicker PVC will do it.

Either way, I think everything only came out to $20.

I really only want it for any extended treks across the beach.

Hell!

I don't know anymore!!!

I'm goin' to bed!!!

Night all!biggrin.gif