ShakyMan

Ugly Stik Tiger Rod

Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

Has anyone fished with an Ugly stik tiger rod? Im looking to buy a new salt spinning rod and reel combo medium action to chase stripers, fluke, and blues around the bay. I want to buy the Penn Battle and pair it up with the tiger stik. any thoughts? My one major concern is sensitivity of the rod. :shaky:

I am really not a big fan of the ugly sticks....They are cheap, but that's there best quility IMO...I think when the uglysticks first came out and they specialized in fresh water ultralight rods, they were the shiznit.

The Tigers are very different than the regular rabbit UglyStiks. I have the heaviest 7 foot conventional. I love it.

for how cheap they are they are good. 

i have a tiger rod that i use for brown shark fishing and its good for that. i dont like ugly sticks for anything but shark fishing though. the rod dosnt need to be sensitive for that kind of fishing. 

like I said....cheap is their best quality....They along with an entry level reel can get someone fishing on the cheap....

however, it wouldn't be my choice if I had a little more money, even $30 more to spend on something quite a bit better from a action point of view. 

I  realize they are sturdy and durable rods, and that's great, but it doesn't matter how durable it is if I don't use it. An uncooked peice of spagetti will last forever on the wall too...

I think the one I have might be good for jigging off a boat, and I might REALLY like it for that, but I don't have a boat so my uglystick remains in the corner where I put it after using it once or twice....thankfully I didn't pay for it, I found it...with a penn 6 levelwind attached...

I think that is a great combo. I have many US rods and one is a Tiger light. I either have my Battle or Slammer on it. They are generally medium or medium-fast action instead of some of the graphite fast action rods I've been buying lately. If I spend over $59 bucks a rod I am disappointed. But I haven't felt like I needed anything more. That is, I don't feel like I am skimping just because the rod didn't cost $200. Good luck.

Oh, incidentally, I can't tell the difference between the Tiger Lite and any other Ugly Stik I own.

i have a ugly stick tiger bigwater rod that has caught a few mahseer , heavy as hell but has good fish pulling power though. it is now a back up and a boat rod for when i go to the salt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy B View Post

I think that is a great combo. I have many US rods and one is a Tiger light. I either have my Battle or Slammer on it. They are generally medium or medium-fast action instead of some of the graphite fast action rods I've been buying lately. If I spend over $59 bucks a rod I am disappointed. But I haven't felt like I needed anything more. That is, I don't feel like I am skimping just because the rod didn't cost $200. Good luck.

Oh, incidentally, I can't tell the difference between the Tiger Lite and any other Ugly Stik I own.

yeah for me, it's not the cost that makes me like the rod...it's the way it works....sorry if that was implied, because it's not intended. They just don't have the action I am looking for in a rod.

I have an medium heavy uglystik tiger spinning rod. It is the standard, not the lite. It fishes very well, and it casts very well. I use it for bait as well as lures. There might be rods out there that are more sensitive, but as far as shear strength, durablity, and ability to handle very large fish tiger uglystiks are built just for that. If you use braid, it will more then make up for the lack of sensitivity that you might find in an uglystik.

Also, there are uglystik tiger light rods that have extra sensitivity compared to the regular tiger uglystiks that you might want to look into, especially if you are going to use lures. I have some freshwater uglystik lites that I use for walleye, bass, and other small game and the sensitivity is great, especially if you know just how light walleyes bite, and I feel even the slightest tap tap.

I also have a tiger uglystik conventional rod and it works really well too. Remember, tiger uglystiks are not your basic uglystik, they have backbone and the power to tame most any fish.

However, I have to strongly disagree about cost being the biggest benefit to getting an uglystik, whatever the model might be.

Remember that, just like all rods, ugly stiks have their niche that they fit into for fishing, they are built to be fished very hard without the fear of breaking. I, myself, use nothing but uglystiks anymore just because I got tired of dealing with broken rods. I guess I just don't like to worry about a rod breaking if I breath on it. LOL. smile.gif