Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DASBOOT

Virgin Voyage!!

16 posts in this topic

Hope you all had a lovely weekend.

I FINALLY got a chance to take my new yak out for a spin yesterday.

Wanted to catch the incoming so I loaded up an headed for Pryibil Bch in Glen Cove.

Strong winds and whitecaps.

Not the best conditions for a beginner but I, having more b--ls than brains, decide to "damn the torpedo's" and of I go into the sound.

I hr later, I'm bobbing in the water, waders full of water slowly swimming back to shore BEHIND my yak which ever so slowly was pulled away from me.

If not for my PFD, someone today would be the proud owner of a new Cobra Navigator and an Orvis Vortex and rod.

When I came to shore,freezing, there were 2 Brothers from St. Basils Retreat who helped me get the yak back to the car, gave me some dry clothes and treated me to a wonderful tour of their turn of the century Mansion/retreat.

I gotta get these guys something nice for Christmas!

So there it is. My first time out!

It can only get better after this!!

Gave the wife an extra hard hug when I got home too.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!

Yup, I took a bath the first time too. And I believe there is pictures to prove it!! I have yet to brave the salty stuff just yet. I'd like to go with someone who knows what they are doing.

DB,

Any lessons learned for us with fewer b**lsd if faced with a similar situation? Was it the waves or the casting or the landing of the big one?

Glad to know you made it back safe and sound, even if wet and cold.

John

DASBOOT, glad to hear your OK.

I just got one from JonS too. I've been concerned about rushing into the fall run blindly and untrained. I decided I'll get some breathable waders and start in the spring. Learn about the yak on it's terms and not do the normal for me "Damn the torpedos" routine. Sorry for your dunking and but thanks for reinforcing my deceision to wait. I'm working out in small water and working to get back in shape.

Does the wife know why she got the extra attention? Don't tell her, or you'll never get back on the thing.

We'll hook up once I figure this thing out a little more.

Just my opinion, but I tried the Navigator and, as a beginner, felt uneasy. I bought a Fish N' Dive and now feel very secure with the level of stability. I guess their are trade offs in terms of speed, etc., but for me (6' 1", 220lbs, novice) the Fish N' Dive was the way to go.

Dasboot glad here you made out ok getting in sounded a bit rough wink.gifHow exactly did you do a half eskimo roll ? when ya get out into the stuff you should try to quarter the waves take them on a 45 degree angle especially when the wave frequency is less than the length of your yak how big were the waves when you paddled out ?paddling thru stuff is ok but to fish ya need to find some good water like the lee side of a island or jetty because you cant padle and fish at the same time when its rough .Give it time and try not to put yourself in those situations I learned how much of a wave i could take by getting to close to the channel and not paying attention to the 35- 40 footers coming out of the marina can you say surfing 4 footers goodluck and dont get discouraged in no time you be able to know when to say when joev

Dasboot,

Glad you are ok. I think a lot of us are on the edge right along with you. I'm glad you had a PFD on, I still see people who go out without them or stick them in a hatch or something. I have a farmer john wetsuit that I'm wearing now. I wear fleece and a rain jacket over that until I get a dry top. Waders and kayaks, actually, in any boat, make me nervous. It's ok to have the b--ls if you dress as if you are going for a swim every time, ie dress for the water temp rather than the air.

dasboot...yep i'm one who went in the first time out in the salt. i was roughly 11/2 to 2 miles off the beach into blues when i made an ill prepared and ill thought out swipe at my rod behind me and kerplunk i was in the drink. got a bit nervous at first but then remembered to stay calm, right my kayak and climb back in. i did manage to catch alot of blues that day and learn a lesson to boot...no pun intended. hopefully we can fish together some day. i'm in northern NJ and fish alot around Raritan bay but will travel for some good fishing. Glad to hear you're alright and hope you have a blast with the fall fishing. talk to you later.

Das boot.Glad you are alright.The wader thing is a comfortable setup but... If the water was real cold you might hsve been dead!!!.I use the waders/paddling jacket combo also.But in a week or so I will go to the drysuit.The only time I will were the waders in cold windy water is if I have a surf leash attached to my ankle.As you found out the kayak drifts away a lot faster then you can swim.

Doug

I am far from an "expert" when it comes to yakfishing, but I would never wear my waders on the kayak. First I bought a Farmer John wetsuit, and when I found it very difficult to put on, I bought a sealskin (like spandex) body suit. The wetsuit slips on the sealskin beautifully. I usually wear my underwear, the sealskin, and a bathing suit. The bathing suit provides me with pockets, and makes the spandex errr... sealskin look a little less weird. I haven't had the need to wear the wetsuit yet this season. The black sealskin absorbs heat. I really SHOULD wear my PFD all the time, but I don't. It's too uncomfortable. I keep it under bungies in the front of the deck. If I were to become separated from my kayak, I'd basically be screwed. In self defense, I must add that I find surf to intimidating, especially for a launch, and so I seek protected waters for paddling/launching. I'd much rather launch from Bar Beach than Pryibil. But JonS showed me my favorite water to date ...Glenn Island has it ALL. I also understand there is a Kayak launch in the lagoon at Orchard Beach, which I haven't visited yet. There is safety in numbers, and I look forward to another "Yak Fling" like we had a few weeks ago.

Flounder

PS: A good rule of thumb from "YAKFISHING.COM"

"If the air temperature, and the water temperature don't add up to 100 degrees or more, you are taking your life in your hands". (Our water temperature is still in the sixties).

Wow Das sounds like a rough first trip- after you take that first dip it usually never happens again as you learn the art of balance real quick smile.gif glad to hear your OK.

Well last night was a maiden voyage for me, I did a launch in the mother ocean after it got dark cwm31.gif no fun not for me man. All I kept thinking about was some large fish lurking under my boat, after 10 mins. of paddeling I headed in & just threw from the beach. I think the main problem was 1- no partner 2- no moon so it was complete darkness. 3- my brain was telling me "this is really kind of foolish". I think if I did the Navesink River by the Oceanic bridge it would have been fine, so my reccomendation to all, do not do the ocean at night alone. Do any of you guys do night fishing from your Yak? If anyone is game let me know. Hey guys the Blackrock Jacket is on sale at NWRsupplies.

Thanks for all the support and words of advice.

This was the first time in a rather adventurous life that I actually feared, for one eternal moment, for my life!

To think that I didn't put the PFD on till I was half way out!!!

DUMB! DUMB! DUMB!

Just like my first motorcycle accident, it's not if it will happen , but when.

Gotta look into a wet suit and yes, it is amazing how fast a yak can float away from you.

Live and learn.

Joey, what happened monday at Long Bch?

JonS, thanks again for the drop off.

Later.

A yak fisherman in cape hatterass drowned after getting a hand full of treble hooks. He was revived on the beach by a Brgantine fireman who was down there with the same group. As far as I last heard he was recovering.

It takes 15 minutes to learn how to paddle and a lifetime to get good at it.

Barrell

Barrel - long time no hear, where you been? Listen I have been wanting to take a road trip down to the inlet in your area for some night fishing, can you give me any information on where to park a vehicle & launch area in the Brigantine inlet area, It would be greatly appreciated. What I am looking to do is fish that island inside the inlet on a slack tide smile.gif thanks mate, good to see you back! By the way I love the Navigator.