Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LetsGoIrish

Beach or Jetty? What's your preference.

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

I wanna hear how many people prefer striper fishing on a jetty to an open beach.

Jetty: I like to work the entire jetty from the base to the tip and back around the other side. Especially when the tide is low I feel I can work more productive water than wasting half a cast from the beach with my plug digging into the sand. Is there anything more exciting that a bass jumping on your plug just as you're about to pull it out of the water? Sometimes it's downright scary! Also there's the added challenge of landing a fish on a jetty without killing yourself or having your line shredded.

Beach: You can find those nice cuts and holes full of fish. Buried structure like pilings and outfall pipes are fun to fish too. Safer to fish in wild water than a jetty, and much easier to land a fish.

Since I began keeping a log about three years ago I've caught about 150 stripers and most have been small. I hope when that 20lb+ fish finally comes (if it ever does!) it's on the tip of a nice low jetty. I'm dreaming about grabbing a big striper by the gill and hauling it up on the rock pile.

I'll take the beach over the jetty myself. Mainly because of seeing too many slips/falls and broken bones and gear. I know I should be out on those tips on certain days/nights but I love those flatlands. Low tide and half the bay to myself. Good luck with your 20#! I'm still after my first 30#. Had her on a few times at the RIP but always CHOKED.

The beach.

Getting swept off the end of a jetty by a rogue wave in the pitch black early morning hours and carried out to sea on a 10 knot current at the risk of my life for a fish doesn't appeal to me.

That's just me though... smile.gif

if its calm....ill fish the jetty, especially at low tide, i like the current that pushes against the jetty, and out...good striper hang out. if its windy, and rough, the beach is the place to be for me.....

I like them both but certainly feel a LOT safer on the beach regardless of the water/weather conditions. I always hate having to climb down the jetty with the tide half or more out (regardless of the length of the gaff pole) and a decent fish on (meaning anything too large to lift with a glass rod). Add a good ocean heave on and OUCH, the making for a disaster!! Even under the light at Montauk with waves crashing in on a dark night is very dangerous...especially those rogues from out of the blackness that want to wipe everything off the end. Both terrifying and exciting if ya know what I mean. Sounds nuts huh?

Beach for me. I got ripped off a boat in the Barnegat Inlet years ago when a rogue wave blasted us. I SWAM THE INLET AND SURVIVED! I know first hand how the water moves through that inlet. No way am I going out on the jetty to put myself in jeopardy again. I refuse to swim that inlet again. Just my opinion.

Jetty only because I've had better luck there. I enjoy the beach but I usually end up on the rocks.

Even after the back surgery. I'm much more careful and won't endanger myself looking to land the fish but I love the flow against the rocks and works the ebbs anround it.

Boy, glad to see I'm not the only wussie out here. Been there, done that. Nothing like being plastered to a rock like your making snow angels and having to hold your breath untill the wave recedes. Still got a hole in my knee from the night I filled my short boot with blood, you young guys can have my spot as I only fish them in the spring. Last year DJ got banged up fishing with me while I was 200yds away, but at least he got the fish. I'll take the sand beneath my feet anyday. Prospector

Have done both but in the last 6/7 years spend most time on the sand.Don,t read that as not around rocks and jetties though!!tight lines ... eddie/p

------------------

eddie p

Started out in the sand, and that can be a thrill when standing in the breakers, but once I sampled the jetties in Cape May and IRI, well, that's a big a thrill as catching the fish, especially at night at the tip of the IRI jetty, looking back toward land and seeing the waves beginning to wash over the middle portion as the tide rolls in...I also wade the Susquehanna in the summer, also a thrill...