cold on my SOT-any advise?

There was a time when I could understand this SIK vs. SOT argument, but it passed a while back. Jon is absolutely correct, if you are in a situation where dismount and remount is desirable, like in fishing or diving, even exploring the coastline, SOT is the way to go.

If you're touring, and will be paddling for hours without getting off of your behind, SIK begins to look attractive. Those of us who use kayaks principally as a fishing tool are better served with SOT.

So, one design is better for doing an eskimo roll in, and the other is better for fishing. Sure, you CAN fish from SIS, but you simply don't have the usable area for gear, which makes it somehow "different". You could dispense with the rod and reel altogether, and just carry line and terminal tackle. That would make it more of a "kayak" experience, and less of a "fishing" experience. I believe most users on SOT sites prefer rod/reel, but the story might be different on sites dedicated to paddlesport enthusiasts.

I still have a problem with waders. Remounting is merely a drill in a bathing suit, even easier in a wetsuit, but can be difficult with heavy bootfoot waders, and quite impossible if they have water in them. Tight belts at the waist and chest are effective, but the human tendency is to loosen them for comfort, and it doesn't take all that much water to make your leg too heavy to lift. Water can't be heavier than water, so it can't sink you, but it CAN make it impossible to climb out of the water, besides, it's COLD! There are an ample number of charts that correlate survival time to water temperature, and I leave you to familiarize yourself with them. Current water temperature is 58 degrees.

I was taught that if the AIR temperature and the WATER temperature do not add to 100, you are taking your life in your hands. Perhaps this is an oversimplification, but we will never know how many lives were saved by this oversimplification. All we read about is those who lost their lives, and we convince ourselves that we are somehow superior, because we would NEVER make that silly mistake. BULL! We ALL make "mistakes". I sure do! I don't wear my PFD. It's too uncomfortable. I carry it under the bungees on the front of my yak. I know..."lot of good it does THERE". I believe in carrying "flotation" so I bring it, but I am BIG and ALL of them are too tight and/or restrictive for me. Just because I,m not perfect doesn't mean that I'm not correct occasionally, and if I err, let it be on the side that doesn't equate "misjudgement" with "disaster".

Regardless of WHAT you are wearing (unless it generates it's OWN heat) if you are immersed in 50 degree water up to your shoulders, your core temperature will drop rapidly, and your survival time is no longer measured in hours. Stupor due to exposure results in lack of coordination which makes "drowning" possible for the very best of swimmers or athletes, of which I am certainly neither.

Plan for the worst case scenario. You get knocked off your kayak, perhaps injured, and you become seperated from the craft. Can you swim to any land? Is your cellphone strapped to your belt and in a waterproof container? Baggie arount it "just in case"? Whistle around your neck? ANY flotation around? How long can you survive? Hopefully long enough to reach shore! A wetsuit, admittedly not first in comfort when paddling, is now preferred because it floats! Although not a substitute for a PFD, it sure keeps you warmer than a PFD would!

Admiring the design of hull shapes that were first used by Eskimos does not make US Eskimos. When one of them froze, it was because he didn't want to starve. We can order in.

Flounder

><))))))))))@>
*AMMODYTE*

Flounder- Thanks for those safety tips-especially at this time of year, when so many of us kayak fisherman are venturing out in uncertain weather conditions. I hope EVERY kakak fisherman takes the time to review his/her approach to this great sport, and put safety first.

Great board- great ideas. Thank you.

Jake.

Yesterday I fished and was very safe even though I was well below the Rule of whatever. I was dry and comfortable in a stable kayak and caught lots of fish. You can fish at this time of year but you must plan accordingly. Also if you're new to the sport go with at least one experienced kayaker per newbie and buddy up.

------------------

baja55@optonline.net