Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rockawayjake

cold on my SOT-any advise?

18 posts in this topic

OK- I'm wearing my rash guard shirt, my Body Glove full wetsuit (80%/20% neo/nylon), a set of booties, a Bronco jacket w/ hood and a watch cap. I fish the surf and waders are out. Any ideas on what I should be wearing? By the way, my friend suggests Remy-Martin, but kidding aside, whats' next?

Breathable waders with warm clothes underneath. Before you poo poo it, the waders are not the corvaires that everyone makes them out to be. With a belt at the waist and the chest, covered by a good quality dry top, you are a fishing machine. Get a pair of waders and journey off to the local holdiay inn and take a swim in them. They are not the death traps everyone fears if worn correctly, with a top, and with a life vest. That aside, a pair of neoprene waders used to keep me very snug. I go breathable now as they are much more flexible. Give them a try. Scott

Might ask to borrow a pair to try the out first. If you're in my area, be glad to let you try them. S

When it really starts to get cold I wear stocking foot neoprene waders. I agree with the above about the breathable waders for temps like today but when it really gets cold use the neoprene. As for a top I wear a Dry Top with a fleece top under it and I'm nice and toasty warm. With a true dry top waders combo no water will get in.

I agree with the neo waders. Totally disreguard anything ScottO ever tells you. I'm still nervous in the neo waders but they really do keep you warm. I try to wear the wetsuit with polypro underwear as long as possible. Also use fleece for the upper body in layers. It's usually good until the water/air temp is below 50 degrees. even then it still works well if you don't sit in a puddle the whole time yu fish

Mysterioso is hard to describe. Joey turned me on to it. Its this amazing long underwareish stuff. It has a fleece inner layer, so it feels great against the skin. It has a wind barrier, an antibacterial, all kinds of features. It drys in minutes and insulates when wet even though it won't stay wet long. It adds insulation to a wetsuit. You could turn a 2 ml into a 4 ml with it. It has 4 way stretch and is very comfy. The stuff is so good the military now uses it in all cold weather environments. Skiers love the stuff. So do I.

------------------

baja55@optonline.net

Blues, SIS stands for Sit in Slop wink.gif . I do get it and I like to fish lots of places that a SIK can't. I wish that more people wanted them as I've been trying to unload a Pungo for months now and I can't even sell it for way under retail! A lot of kayak fisherman are recognizing the limitations of SIKs.

------------------

baja55@optonline.net

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 10-31-2002).]

What places are you talking about jonS and what limitations have you incounted as there are not too many places I won't take mine while still using safty as a control.but breaking fish is a strong pull.anywho was not trying to attack the SOT diehards but

it is nice to be out of the wind and lower now that the cooler temps are here.

shutun up nowbiggrin.gif

------------------

BluesCruiser~~~<*)))><}

Blues, I'm essentially talking about hopping out on a ripping sandbar and places like that. Deep flats too. You're not getting in and out of a kayak in 3 plus feet of water especially if things are breaking around you.

I also had a day on Raritan where the water kept coming over the sides as there was a nasty short chop. It was warm out but the water was cold. I ended up having to put on my SOT gear to stay dry.

All kayaks that allow us to fish are great. Some just allow for some additional situations.

------------------

baja55@optonline.net