Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Plug

favorite size darter

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

What's your favorite size? and why?

I have fair success with them especially in the fall but not outstanding. Yet many who visit and fish with me from places north think my homewater is outstanding darter water. So I'll say it's operator error.

Let's limit it to true darters and eliminate the yo's

It may vary according to season or bait so let's hear the variables.

I like the medium sized ones--say 2-1/2 oz. Gibbs and Superstrike are the widely available ones. I also have some customs from a few plugmakers wink.gif

I have some of the bigger Lex but haven't as yet put them thru their paces.

I'm with Ditch, I like the 2 1/2oz Gibbs and Superstrike for most darter situations. Then the 1 5/8oz Gibbs for for a lotta local conditions. Not sure if bait size or season matters much...so long as there's decent sized bass around and the water conditions are condusive, they'll eat a darter...usually smile.gif

TimS

I like both size Gibbs and the Superstrike. The 1 1/2 Gibbs is my searcher for NJ, but the bigger fish like the 2 1/2. The 2 1/2 is my go to places North, especially the superstrike. I don't have a rhyme or reason other than the rod's capabilities or if I am trying to match a bait profile. I prefer the Superstrike over the Gibbs when I think I need to get a bit deeper in the water column.

I think you have good darter water Plug. More so when the current slows down a bit though or depending on how much elbow room you have to get the sweep you want. I think what may stop that water from being very good darter water is the fact a darter will typically swim 18 to 24" deep and you are covering water much deeper at times and expecting a fish from down deep to see it might be a bit much. Also why your cheaters and bombers are so effective since they will dive twice as deep and throb alot more which will get fishes's attention and draw them up.

Charlie

hands down, the older 3-hook gibbs. they are well worth the effort involved in tracking some down! they cast awesome, dig in anything, and swim true. as far as currently produced darters, superstrike takes the cake.

I think you have good darter water Plug. More so when the current slows down a bit though or depending on how much elbow room you have to get the sweep you want. I think what may stop that water from being very good darter water is the fact a darter will typically swim 18 to 24" deep and you are covering water much deeper at times and expecting a fish from down deep to see it might be a bit much. Also why your cheaters and bombers are so effective since they will dive twice as deep and throb alot more which will get fishes's attention and draw them up.

Charlie

Your right on the current speed. The best darter time is the last and first hour of the tide. Its a good niche plug because cheaters and mirros work better as a rule when it is really rolling.

Speaking of mirrolures they are kind of amazing. They don't have the throb like a windcheater to draw the fish in that cacaphony of water but they sure do catch.

Darters seem to me to be a plug type that need a substantial minimum size to work. 2-3 oz is nice; Lex' 3.5 oz darters feel very comfortable on the 132-2. I still wish Super Strike made a 3 oz darter.

(The SS web site is under construction and shows a number of plugs that they aren't making .... yet. Perhaps a 3 oz darter will appear. Does Charlie Musso still own Super Strike?) If TimS likes the little one, well, I'll have to try it. Plug, which Mirrolure do you like when the water's really rolling?

Hugh , the 1 5/8 oz black , blurple ones are my go to in november . wink.gif i love this plug . when it gets hairy i might go up to the 2 1/2 oz.

we'll talk some more on this . wink.gif

I've been arriving just after the last one sold out in tackle stores for years. One beachmaster - a Conrad, a classic metal lip - in the inventory, and that's it.