Anyone for going skiing?

JonS

COUNT ME IN!!!!!

I won't go on a weekend though!!!

Too many S---Heads!!!

I've got winter recess in mid Jan. so I will hit the slopes then.

Rudy,

I guess you like Windham if you go there.

Is it as challenging as Hunter.

I've never been there but somehow I got the impression it was not as interesting.

Maybe I'm wrong.

What's a day tkt up to now?

$50?

Keep me posted on your ski plans.

DASBOOT

Rudy, I've never skied Wyndam, and I haven't done much skiing since coming east. Anyting worthwhile there and what's the midweek cost? Do you ever ski midweek? Hunter is the only place I've skied that's a day trip from here where I can actually feel like I'm skiing and not going out for a stroll. On the frontside quad of Hunter you can rack up some vertical.

My first couple years back I did a bunch of racing so that got me out. I didn't like the racing formats here and the short runs so I stopped. I didn't even get out last year 1 day and this is from a guy who has skied as many as 112 days in one season.

No way I'd ski around here on a weekend. To many googans. Weekday ticket at Hunter is $39 and you can buy a frequent skier card for $29 which makes it $29 weekdays.

ScottO, with the shorter skis and great bindings its become a lot better but still lots of injuries. Skiing is one of those sports that many people participate in that don't exercise or do anything else. There are some terrific leverage forces involved that wreck havock on these bodies. The most common serious injury, ACL, requires a strength balance between the thigh and hamstring muscles. Only someone who regularly works their hamstring will have this balance, otherwise its a recipe for an injury.

DAS, what days are you off? We'll have to get out then. You and Joey could hook up and we could all meet part way or at the mountain.

JONS,

Hunter has some better terain than windham but what is nice about windham it the that you do not have to fight the crowds. I have ski'd both hunter and windham and other places. My family has a ski house at windham so that is why I ski there all the time. I go on the weekends because that is when I have the time to go. You are better off skiing during the week because of less price to ski and less crowds.

Rudy

PS-During the week after the Martin Luther King Holiday they have real cheap lift tickets at Windham it is worth the price to go then

During the week it has been my experience at Hunter that I can get in all the skiing I want. I wouldn't go near the place on a weekend.

Dick, you're a long way off to skiing Hunter. Aren't you SW of Philly? If you do the Poconos one day that would be much more convenient. I just find the Poconos so boring.

JonS,

For as much skiing as I do, the Poconos are just fine.smile.gif I used to ski quite often, but haven't had as much time in the last couple years. I would probably take an extra day if I were to go to Hunter (never been), so I could check out the area or something. Just let me know if you guys decide on a date. I have a couple friends that would probably be up for a couple days of skiing.

Dick

To All,

One drunk night we took a small rowboat down part of a hill at Windham mountain. Does that count?

Happy New Year and by mid march we should plan a trip to Little Neck Bay for SB they should be there by then.

Rudy

I would think that just like skis the shorter yaks would do better. Also a Sitin would rule due to the lowered center of gravity. I know that it would be easier to turn a kayak with a bottom that you could lean.

Dick, we'll get the schedule from DAS and go from there. You could hit Hunter and Wyndam as they're fairly close together or some other areas. If the Poconos are good for you you'll like the bigger mountains of the Catskills. They definately offer a step up in variety and challenge.