Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnP

OK, now its all up to YOU

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

The hearings are coming. This will help decide direction of how bass are managed for some years to come.

If you make time to get out and show up, this will say a lot.

If you dont show, that will say a lot too.

Thanks Tim,

"STRIPED BASS HEARING NOTICE

On Wednesday, September 18, at 7:30 pm, at the Student Activities Center off Nicholls Road at the State University of New York at Stony Brook, the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission, in conjunction with the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, will hold a public hearing to help decide the future of striped bass.

IT IS NOT AN EXAGGERATION TO SAY THAT THE FUTURE OF THE STRIPED BASS FISHERY-AND, IN MANY WAYS, OF THE STRIPED BASS ITSELF-WILL BE DECIDED IN THE NEXT TWO OR THREE MONTHS. THIS HEARING IS A CRITICAL PART OF THE DECISIONMAKING PROCESS."

Remember - don't let anyone decide for you how you want the striped bass managed! If you are at a meeting and someone or some group pretends to represent you but with an opinion that is not yours, make it a point to publicly disagree with "I am a striper fishermen and that's not what I want." or "I am a member of _______ and that's not how I want stripers managed." This is your chance, perhaps your only chance.

Let the entire industry KNOW THAT YOU SPEAK WITH YOUR DOLLARS! Make notes of how each group and/or organization would like to see the striped bass managed in the future! I'll gladly take those tidbits of info and post them here - forever - I'll make a big page for them!

There will be those groups/orgs/businesses that are interested in killing fewer stripers to allow more to grow larger on one side and groups/orgs/businesses that want to continue killing so many small fish on the other. Hell, lets try to break it down to major contributors and let them know WE WILL SPEAK WITH OUR DOLLARS!

We are mostly striped bass fishermen - we're not simply fishermen - there's a big difference - we don't generally go fishing for "whatever bites", we target striped bass. One of the reasons is because they can get big. If Amendment 6 is driven down the right road all the science says that there will be a

400% increase

in the numbers of 15 plus year old stripers within 10 years! A 15 year old striper is around thirty pounds. How many 30# fish have you seen recently? Would you like to see 400% more of them? That's what this amendment can mean.

TimS

I have seen 0 thirty pound stripers, cept for photos. What is 400% of 0???

Statistically, Vinny, you would have a 400% better chance at seeing your first onesmile.gif That's nuttin' to sneeze at...unless yer alergic to 30# striperswink.gif

TimS