Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
theydeclareit82

IPS'a......who drinkis em and what are your favorites

Rate this topic

479 posts in this topic

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeMc View Post

Also have a bottle of Double Bastard to drink.

I bought one of those Giant bottles of the DB a few NYEves ago,

it went a long way that night,

further than I thought based on the volume.

good stuff no?

I picked up bottles of 16 for me and P for Xmas,

haven't had it.

havne't had Parabola,

have had the Sucaba

let at least one bottle of the 16 to age...

if you have a cool enough place (no light) to store it... (not in the fridge)..

I let a 15 age a year. very good, much more subtle

Too bad they can't sell it outside of VT. My buddy said it's amazing, and that I should try it ASAP, but I can't find it anywhere, and I'm sure as hell not driving up to VT for it.

They actually sell some into the NYC and Philly(?) areas. I believe it's just for bars and restaurants only though. They are in the process of expanding their production. Hopefully by spring there will be more distribution.

They have some pretty good beers at Brownstone Brewing Company down by me on Portion Road. Maybe we'll meet up one evening. :beers:

Blue Point has a few good ones

Long Ireland as well

Great South Bay - haven't had too much from them nothing i;ve tried was memorable

Spider Bite is ok

Port Jeff has something going now as well

i want to go to the placeon 347 and 111 - cask and barrel i beleve - supposed to have lots of good beer there and close to home :)

Mini fling ;).

Yikes -- I meant to post this in this thread..... Damn!

As a result of the numerous recs for Firestone Union Jack I stopped to get some today. They had both Union Jack and Wookey Jack but no Double Jack. The Wookey Jack label announced a Black Rye IPA. It threw me a bit so I went with the Union Jack. I looked it up at home and saw that the Wookey is really well reviewed -- I'll go back for some of that.

Union Jack is a nice beer, better as it warms up a bit and smooths out. A bit hoppy for me with a little more bitter than I usually like, but for some reason I like this one. It holds together well. Balanced with a little bite. Not over the top. Can't say that I'll seek it out if I can get Sly Fox 113, Bells 2Hearted, Weyerbacher Double Simcoe or probably a half dozen others I could name.

On another note, I had a staring contest with a 4 pack of Weyerbacher's Blithering Idiot. Damn. Last summer I was at the brewery and I brought home a growler of Blithering Idiot. My wife and I sat around the fire pit that evening, grilled dinner and drank the whole growler. It was a funny evening as we got rocked on that 11% brew (technically barley wine). At one point we were really buzzed and practically falling out of our chairs laughing that "This Beer Goes to Eleven!" :wee:

Based on the rec of the gentleman in this establishment I picked up a 6 of the Sierra Rye IPA tonight, and that is a fine brew...enjoying my 2nd one right now.

Also picked up a bigums of the Racer 5, will crack that over the weekend...

Thanks for the 411. Always looking for a new good beer. That Rye IPA is a winner, good pick.

That racer 5 is the bomb esp on tap.  We talkin IPA or hot rod?  I like the IPA a lot more, esp on tap obv.  11.5 beer is crazy that shiz must get you hammerheaded my god.  Does it give you a better buzz than regular beers?  I think I prefer the buzz of red wine to beer.

That racer 5 is the bomb esp on tap.  We talkin IPA or hot rod?  I like the IPA a lot more, esp on tap obv.  11.5 beer is crazy that shiz must get you hammerheaded my god.  Does it give you a better buzz than regular beers?  I think I prefer the buzz of red wine to beer.

you would be surprised, Red Wine gives me a headache.

the big beers are meant to be sipped. not chugged.

I like them

Quote:

Originally Posted by makomakoman View Post

you would be surprised, Red Wine gives me a headache.

the big beers are meant to be sipped. not chugged.

I like them

who said anything about chugging?  I'm aware you aren't supposed to chug good beer.  You still didn't answer my original question.  Do you guys think that a 8%+ beer is going to give you a different kind of buzz than say a bud or corona.

a buzz is a buzz. I'm usually a one and done with the big booze beers, then maybe have a low abv beer after..

I could chug a bud, but not sip a bud...

Lots of good choices mentioned. Didn't see Avery the maharaja anywhere on here. Try it if you have the opportunity.

Also like....

Dales pale ale but not deviant. Oskar blues also makes a scotch ale called old chub that's great

Weyerbacher double simcoe

Dogfish 90

Victory hop devil

Stone ruination

Southern tier makes a few that are good