Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PaulS

Fly/Teaser swap

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I was fishing with Dave Choi last week and he showed me the flies that he received last year in the swap. I was impressed with the quality of the flies and wanted to compliment everyone who participated. I may participate next year just to see the flies. - My only problem is what do I contribute??? Does anyone want any Redgills?

Anything will get you in the swap Paul. The idea that some will be better and some very "beginners" is the reason we have the swap. The beginners see some nice ones to copy in general and people with experience get to see some other patterns. The description of how to make them that was posted with the pics also helps both the beginner and experienced tier. Just be sure to buy some nice forged hooks. as long as the hook is good , almost anything tied on will catch a fish some days (then again , on somedays , nothing will catch a fish smile.gif ).

The time of year to do it is definately in the winter. I recently ran a fly swap on the Fly Fishing board. We had 18 people who said that they were sending in flies and 6 weeks after the due date we ended up with 9.

Swaps are great to see waht others are doing and to learn new tricks. The fish don't know the time it takes to tie a fly or its complexity. Either they think they can eat it or they don't.

Jon,

My appologies on the fly swap, between work the site and fishing I don't get a chance to sit down and tie to often until the winter.

The winter is, by far, the best time for the swap, sounds like this will be a big one. biggrin.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

Dubs - I wasn't trying to dish anyone and if you thought so I'm sorry. I was just letting joeredman1 know that herding the folks during prime fishing time is difficult and swaps are best left for the down season.

I'm putting together a bunch of flatwing mullets for Sergio t go after Roosters and this morning was the first time I got some tied. There's fish to be educated and many new and enticing new freshwater spots that I haven't hit yet while the slat is experiencing the slow period.