Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JimW

New sit-in Kayak

11 posts in this topic

I have a sit-in sea kayak I want to fit for fishing. Quickly. What tips can I get? It's 17 ft long, 23.5 inches wide and it's a wood stripper. I've been catching sea robins and snappers and realize I'm eff'd if I get some decent blues. Need to learn everything but fall is here. Fished from a solo canoe, wind was an issue but logistics never were. Thanks

Mullet Miller is your man. He's been doing the SINK (Sit IN Kayak) thing exclusively for some time now.

Oh yeah, the SINK acronym should get accreditted to him as well.

Chris

I'll bump the post with the pics of my yak so you can see how I set my Looksha up. It is the Necky santa cruz post. With a stripper boat, I don't think you can fire a fish finder thru the hull, with all the voids in the wood. I think I saw the SINK accronym in Canoe & Kayak Mag. Can't take credit for it, but thanks Chris.

Chris should have the pics this week. Got a few more to blast off. Nailed a 10# striper of the beach a little further up from where we fished last week, took him on a popper in a wicked rip.

[This message has been edited by Mullet Miller (edited 10-03-2001).]

Mr. Mullet- no need to post pics, etc. again, Found the post you mentioned and there's a lot there. Thanks. Have no idea how that anchor system works, would like to know some more. Chris?

The anchor system is quite simple. There are identical hook ups on each side. The anchor line hooks onto the triangle ring. Once tied on you can pull the anchor to the stern or bow depending on which way you want to face into the current/breeze. The bungee sections act as a shock absorber, and provide tension so that I don't need to tie the pulley system off to prevent it from moving. It works great with a drift sock as well. Chris really came up with a good system that is very adaptable. All the hardware was purchased at West Marine. A little pricey for the surface mount pulleys, but worth it knowing it should last forever.

Good luck and if I can offer any assistance, let me know.

Bob

Thanks Bob,

I'm going to take advantage of your advice until you get sick of me.

I guess the pulley line system is basicly a clothes line, the anchor line keeper is the clothes pin and the anchor line is your favorite skivies? Very good. Is the keeper another pulley? I was thinking a pulley at one end and a cam cleat but was concerned abt getting a stuck anchor loose. What kind of anchor, is it a small grapple folding thing abt 6 inches long? This is what I see in kayak shops but doesn't seem like would have much holding power. Also, do you think the lines looped around the pulleys could do double duty as deck grab lines? I still have to do something abt deck lines anyway.

Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim, Yes the small folding anchors are perfect for kayaks. I use a 5#er. I use no cam cleats at all, like I said in prior post. Bungee tension holds every thing in place and it is adjustable by retying. The line makes a great hand hold if you ever have to bail and need to grab on. Definitely does not replace deck rigging though. That is a necessity of its own. As far as rod holders, I really like the Tite Loks that I use, one reason is they keep my deck water tight. Second, when removed,there is a clean looking mounting plate that is low profile and out of the way. With a sharp looking boat like yours, I wouldn't want to have a big ole lump sticking out the side of it when I wasn't fishing!

Bob

Great site, in fact they'll even let you download design softwear if you want to design your own boat. I didn't go quite that far but I know of two guys who did.

Everyone should check the site for safety equipment and rescue info.