tpane35

shark fishing the nj surf

Rate this topic

1,182 posts in this topic

Does anyone have knowledge of casting baits in NJ vs kayaking or dropping baits farther out? I've had my drag screaming plenty from casting , i need to know if the kayak is a necessary investment.

what would you guys say is the avg. or minimum drag and reel capacity?

From surf if I cast for blacktips I use 12ft tiralejo and 275 with 80 lb power pro drag range 15-20 lb 12/0 circle hook

Ok! we get it Chris, you think sharks are nuisance and waist of time.  I must be imagining that this post was about shark fishing.   Not everyone is as skillful as yourself nor caught thousands of sharks with 200 yards of 20lb line from the beach. 

Telling a less skillful "idiots" fisherman that is targeting sharks from the shore. He needs a daiwa 20, spooled with 20lb mono to catch all the sharks he wants. That is just setting them up for failure.

The question was average... and 65lb braid on big surf set ups for sharks is just that. AVG

As far as drag... yeap!  lets just say I have seen 60+ lbs of drag leave my spools at an alarming rate.

Yes your right Chris... If you targeting blue Marlin the tlds should stay in the cabin.  Just like if your targeting big sharks from the beach the daiwa with 200 yards of 20lb should be used to catch bait.

first off i said WHEN the drum are snappin they are a nuisance and waste time between fish, also not i said that in the summer evening theres not much else to do...what do ya think we do everynight?we shark fish..the pics i posted way back in the thread were all caught at lowtide for fun..when theyre not a nuisance..on a daiwa 30 that particular day, none could not have been landed on a 20...these represent the average, maybe even larger than average shark that will be encountered from the surf in jersey...except for sandtigers, which might as well be logs with fins...the origional question was about brown sharks, and rigs for brown sharks...i explained mine...theyre so thick at times(browns) we litterally have blitzes in the spring and fall..we use similar gear for the summer spinners and blacktips of the same sizes..and i didnt say I've personally caught thousands, read the post...

also didnt call anyone in the thread an idiot,i offered advice as to hooks and gear, and didnt say he could catch all the sharks he wanted on a daiwa 20, just most from shore, read my posts, i said i had been spooled, and you can get spooled on any gear...a daiwa 20/30/penn 525/535/abu 7500/whatever will do just fine for jersey browns, and suit ya just fine for similar sized sharks on any beach...just dont pitchbait a seal chunk to a finning white shark in mass.

were not talking "big sharks"....all of my posts have been directed at medium sized sharks, the 5-7 footers....as is stated in my posts...and applying to the original question about brown sharks....cast baiting chunk baits like the same you would throw to drum or stripers, were not talking about kayaking ray wings and tuna heads......"big" sharks on heavy tackle is another discussion entirely...havent heard of any 8-10 or bigger foot hammers/tigers/bulls being caught recently in jersey off the beach...

The biggest mistakes I see guys going for surf sharks are using too small a hook and under powered gear. You can't use the same setup you used for Fluke earlier in the day. I have a Penn Senator 114H full frame as my back up, an OM 12' is my main rid with either an Avet SX, Newell P338 or JigMaster all loaded with 80lb braid crimped to a nice big circle on a leader, just received a fresh batch of Mustad 39965D 16/0:

Hooks are sharpened before deployment, any metal including the shank of the hook gets a wrap of electrical tape.

I have a tld 15 on a 12ft prevail, could I catch any blacktip or spinner on this setup? What should I spool it with? Also I have a 4/0 senator. Should I get a 12ft ocean master for it? Would I be able to cast it? I live here in charleston sc but I appreciate any help you experienced shark fishermen could help me!

The biggest mistakes I see guys going for surf sharks are using too small a hook and under powered gear. You can't use the same setup you used for Fluke earlier in the day. I have a Penn Senator 114H full frame as my back up, an OM 12' is my main rid with either an Avet SX, Newell P338 or JigMaster all loaded with 80lb braid crimped to a nice big circle on a leader, just received a fresh batch of Mustad 39965D 16/0:

Hooks are sharpened before deployment, any metal including the shank of the hook gets a wrap of electrical tape.

Man, those look small for 16/0 hooks lol. Mustad does seem to run small though compared to some others. I'm surprised those hooks need to be sharpened up, i know most mustads need touching up , but the circles i'm aware of are usually needle sharp out of the package . I need to go check those out . Thanks for the reminder.