tpane35

shark fishing the nj surf

Rate this topic

1,182 posts in this topic

I was a part of the shark tagging program for DSU and Georgia national aquarium in the delaware bay.  We tagged Sandtigers ranging from 6 -10 feet caught multiple Sandbars in the 7 foot range. Caught good Dusky's and Rough tail rays over 200lbs.  With a speacial permit we could remove the sharks from the water for Blood/ tissue samples, tagging, and dehooking.

Rigs used.

Big rigs...Kayaked out.  Circle hooks from 16-20/0, 8 feet of 480lb coated cable or #19 wire to 10 to 30 feet of 300-600lb mono.

Casted rigs... 12-16/0 circles, 2 feet of bite leader in the 200lb class to rod length shock leaders of 130lb mono.

Baits ranged from whole skate, ray wings, bluefish, tuna heads, wahoo heads and tuna skins.

Baits where set with a kayak ranging from 100-300 yards and casted baits where no furthur then 80 yards.

Line used... casted baits where on surf gear with braid/ mono from 30-65lb.  Kayaked baits where on heavy offshore gear with 130 and over braid mono combos.

Casted bait shark

Monster Roughtail ray

Quote:

Originally Posted by theydeclareit82 View Post

what would you guys say is the avg. or minimum drag and reel capacity?

5-7 foot range 400 yards of 65lb braid with reels producing 20lb of drag i.e big spinning reels or meduim casting reels.

Bigger sharks will need a minimum of 600 yards of 80lb line with reels that produce drags over 25lbs. i.e  50W 80W     10/0 12/0  size reels are favorites.

5-7 foot range 400 yards of 65lb braid with reels producing 20lb of drag i.e big spinning reels or meduim casting reels.

i must be imagining the several hundred if not more 5-7 footers ive seen caught and caught myself on reels that hold 200-300 yards of 17/20 pound mono...

I

It's depends what You want catch for 100 plus up blacktip to 250 bull sharks I use 80 lbs braid and reels produce 20-25 lbs drag (accurate 600w and 30) with 500-600 yards line 6 ft 130-200 mono leader and 2 ft 200-300 steel single or cable all connected by 200 and up swivels for sharks 8-9 and up like tigers and hammered 60-80 to unlimited rods 200 braid 50 yards 200-250lb top 25-30 ft 450lb steel cable leader drag 35 to my reels maximum (120 lb) 20/0 circle hook or 14/0 plus J hooks For surf casting 12 ft with biggest reel You can get

i must be imagining the several hundred if not more 5-7 footers ive seen caught and caught myself on reels that hold 200-300 yards of 17/20 pound mono...

I understand that and have caught sharks near 8 foot with 30lb braid and 12-15 lbs of drag. My point as a shark fisherman from PEI to the keys.... different sharks that are only 6 feet such as Hammer, Spinner and Blacktip will empty a 200 yard spool of 17 lb line before you know what just happened. I was just giving basic "shark fishing" set up. 2-300 yards of 17-20lb line is not practical for shark fishing from shore.

I

It's depends what You want catch for 100 plus up blacktip to 250 bull sharks I use 80 lbs braid and reels produce 20-25 lbs drag (accurate 600w and 30) with 500-600 yards line 6 ft 130-200 mono leader and 2 ft 200-300 steel single or cable all connected by 200 and up swivels for sharks 8-9 and up like tigers and hammered 60-80 to unlimited rods 200 braid 50 yards 200-250lb top 25-30 ft 450lb steel cable leader drag 35 to my reels maximum (120 lb) 20/0 circle hook or 14/0 plus J hooks

I use a number of convench reels spooled with 80lb braid and I use a 7' length of 2mm diameter weedwhacker line for part of my fish finder rig terminated by a short length of steel(bluefish leader). The 2mm weedwhacker line I believe is equal to 300lb mono, helps guard against abrasion if the shark rubs the line. I like Mustad 16/0 offset hooks for fishing chunks or heads, ill go down to a 12/0 hook if livelining and ill use a lighter leader as well.

original question was from jersey, much the same sharks we encounter in nc, only we get alot more in numbers, and more warm water varietys...sandbars/duskys everyspring and fall..late spring a mix,spinners and blacktips are the norm all summer around 6 ft average with some bulls and sandbars in the mix...no problem landing after a 100 yard cast on a daiwa 20 that holds 200/20 mono...people get way too caught up in how much drag a reel can handle and have no idea what they can handle..guys say they had em on "lockdown" when it turns out to be a yearling drum and it just took em 25 minutes..i see grown men get tired when the drag is set with a scale on a tld with 6lbs of drag when the boat is chasing the darn fish, all they gotta do is crank, and 15 pounds of drag most people huff and puff in the chair after 10 minutes...20 pounds will get most grown men beggin for low gear after a short time when the harness is supporting all the weight of the reel.......in the spring and fall we generally break em off on purpose, but land an ungodly amount trying to break them off ,and sometimes play with em when fishings slow, theyre a nuisance when fishings good, and waste time when a drumbite can last only so long....in the summer theres not much better to do in the evenings off the beach or pier..tons of 6 foot spinners and blacktips on castbaits with cobia reels.caught a 6-6.5 foot spinner down in alabama 20 minutes after arriving there a few years back on a daiwa 20...they dont fight any harder down south...hammer in jersey is a longshot.but ill gladly tussle with one in the 6 foot range on one of my drum reels in carolina if the chance arrives, have seen a bull or two in the 6ft range landed on drum reels(daiwa 20/30/penn525),and ive seen plenty 7-9 foot sandtigers on everything from 6500s to daiwa 20s and penn 525s, big 8 foot duskys on abu 7500s and daiwa 30s brought to the pier, and yes ive been spooled, and seen other spooled as well(heck most idiots gets spooled by any shark on drum gear, and take 45 minutes to land a drum, check your knots, use fresh line and put the screws to em, this aint fly fishing), but ive seen heavy tackle standup rigs spooled too, theres no definite...

im not gonna throw an awkwardly large reel off the beach with heavy braid if i dont need to, and i dont think anyone nc or north needs to either...i catch more than my fair share on reels that are "too small", and probably more because on most of our beaches, and id imagine jersey beaches, a long cast is needed often...ive got the heavy tackle rigs and my kayak for monster fishing,

saying u need 400 yards of 80 pound braid for castbaiting sharks is like sayin ya need to swap out your dink rods and tld 20s for tiagra 80s and chair rods cuz ya might come across a 500 pound blue one(nevermind the fact theyre been a many a blueone caught on tld 20/25s), so we should use gear that makes all those whites and sails less fun and less effective at getting bit and hooked...

Ok! we get it Chris, you think sharks are nuisance and waist of time.  I must be imagining that this post was about shark fishing.   Not everyone is as skillful as yourself nor caught thousands of sharks with 200 yards of 20lb line from the beach. 

Telling a less skillful "idiots" fisherman that is targeting sharks from the shore. He needs a daiwa 20, spooled with 20lb mono to catch all the sharks he wants. That is just setting them up for failure.

The question was average... and 65lb braid on big surf set ups for sharks is just that. AVG

As far as drag... yeap!  lets just say I have seen 60+ lbs of drag leave my spools at an alarming rate.

Yes your right Chris... If you targeting blue Marlin the tlds should stay in the cabin.  Just like if your targeting big sharks from the beach the daiwa with 200 yards of 20lb should be used to catch bait.

I would have to say that during the month of august last year i had many if not more fish break 50 lb power pro braid using 5-6ft 100lb mono leader to a 36" 100lb wire leader to a 9/0 J hook. My point being that when my setup failed, every single time it was a clean break on the braid, never had cut mono come back never even a trace of the rig, Braid was brand new and my father and brother in law also experienced the same thing.I should say now that this summer i plan on using circle hooks and see which i like more,I think that we would have landed a couple monsters we lost this summer with a better hook set on a circle hook, I'm also upping my braid to 65lbs.