tpane35

shark fishing the nj surf

Rate this topic

1,181 posts in this topic

On 6/13/2020 at 11:34 AM, Wampire said:

I actually make it a point to target breeder dogs in May on one trip. Mallet to head to dispatch, keep all blood in, freeze solid in chest freezer. Reciprocating saw to cut into chunks quickly and vac seal. I start each trip with brining about 4 vac sealed chunks and then I get to work trying to catch fresh dogfish. As soon as I do, the frozen gets reeled in and the fresh gets yakked out 

I went out last night and caught some dogs. I had to cut and then freeze for space. Hopefully, it'll still be effective.  Will find out in a few weeks I guess! Thanks for the advice. 

Skunk the last two nights in northern Cape May County. Just used frozen bunker Saturday night and then caught some fresh dogfish to use last night. Weekend storm churned up the water but it is still about 75 degrees. Here for the week so will keep trying. Was here a few years ago and got two 4-foot brown sharks in an hour basically by accident, so going to actually target them this time. But off to a slow start. Anyone having any luck this year?

Bite has been slow. Had 4 day family trip around July 4th weekend in southern jersey. Yakked fresh baits 4 sessions, 2 into the night. Lotta bit up baits (dogfish) and some pop and drops but very few actual run offs. Only one sandbar landed in about 20 hours of soaking baits. Just tried yesterday for 8 hours in Atlantic county. Punishing surf to paddle out. Only one small run at the end before it dropped it. Both baits had teeth marks on it. Rough year so far. Just seems like they’re not committing to eating baits aggressively at this point. 

3 hours ago, Wampire said:

Bite has been slow. Had 4 day family trip around July 4th weekend in southern jersey. Yakked fresh baits 4 sessions, 2 into the night. Lotta bit up baits (dogfish) and some pop and drops but very few actual run offs. Only one sandbar landed in about 20 hours of soaking baits. Just tried yesterday for 8 hours in Atlantic county. Punishing surf to paddle out. Only one small run at the end before it dropped it. Both baits had teeth marks on it. Rough year so far. Just seems like they’re not committing to eating baits aggressively at this point. 

Had two good days before the chit storm last week . But same thing here . No down and tight hits .. they would just pick it and spit and pick and spit and then leave alone . If ya weren’t holding the rod and ready to slam on the first tap you weren’t hooking up . Odd behavior, but they were jumbo browns so maybe just alil extras smart 

Good to know. I read all 79 pages of this board in preparation for this trip but I caught up on some sleep last night. I’ll keep trying in a day or two and post if anything good happens. 

Question? Has anyone been approached yet doing this? Its my understanding you're not to target these fish but if you happen to catch them just don't take them past the water line?  Quick release as usual? Took a break from surf sharking past two summers, trying to get back into it and to steer clear of trouble. Thanks. 

On 7/24/2020 at 2:21 PM, SurfMonster said:

Question? Has anyone been approached yet doing this? Its my understanding you're not to target these fish but if you happen to catch them just don't take them past the water line?  Quick release as usual? Took a break from surf sharking past two summers, trying to get back into it and to steer clear of trouble. Thanks. 

You are fishing for bass and blues.   Just remember that. 

28 mins ago, Goldy said:

You are fishing for bass and blues.   Just remember that. 

Wise wise words. Spooled by a cownose in the wash tonight on my light fluking set up. That screaming reel sound always get me going. No luck soaking meat past two nights.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Going to give LBI a try in the next few weeks. Gotta find an unguarded beach first since im going to do a day trip and i'm kayaking baits out. Is the surf their kayakable?  Or maybe Sandy hook since they do catch them off LI and that is closer to me? Not completely sure what my plan is.  

Edited by Sharkimarki