tpane35

shark fishing the nj surf

Rate this topic

1,181 posts in this topic

that is a sand shark, we call that bait

way to girthy to be a dog fish..thats a small brown...ive caught longer dogfish then that that are still way skinnier.

and yes, those 2 pics i posted are butterfly rays. first one took me an hour and was about 6'2"-6'3" across...fought it with a ton of drag pressure too. "whooped" the 2nd one that was about 6' across in a whopping 30 minutes.........

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrellX View Post

way to girthy to be a dog fish..thats a small brown...ive caught longer dogfish then that that are still way skinnier.

and yes, those 2 pics i posted are butterfly rays. first one took me an hour and was about 6'2"-6'3" across...fought it with a ton of drag pressure too. "whooped" the 2nd one that was about 6' across in a whopping 30 minutes.........

there are a ton of rays around during the summer.  pesky bastards.  a brown shark has one tall dorsal fin.  the dogfish have two of the same size dorsal fins.  where do you usually shark fish farral?

13/0 mustad circle or 10/0 j....short fishfinder rig leader leader of about 4", mono wrapped in elec tape works good with the circle hooks..93/131single strand wire with js...5 feet of 80-130 above your hook leader tied into your shock for scratchin....anything up to 7ft is toast on a drum rod..over 7ft it gets sketchy unless its a garbo10001000

those guys were bycatch all spring long,only got dumped once all spring on a daiwa 20...plenty to the beach on dawa 20s and 30s and newell 220 with mono...so thick quite a few nights i had to quit fishing at dark and walk back to the truck...a few days during the day we could watch em finning, even in the shorebreak..downright spooky wading at night with a box of tuna on ur hip

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris storrs View Post

13/0 mustad circle or 10/0 j....short fishfinder rig leader leader of about 4", mono wrapped in elec tape works good with the circle hooks..93/131single strand wire with js...5 feet of 80-130 above your hook leader tied into your shock for scratchin....anything up to 7ft is toast on a drum rod..over 7ft it gets sketchy unless its a garbo10001000

the second picture is identical to one i caught at wildwood nj a year back.  got him on a spot.  you said spring i guess you don't fish in nj.  cause sharks are only around during the summer here.

those 2 were from a day in march this spring in hatteras....water in the low 60s, could catch as many in that size range as ya wanted to tug on, only had to get a bait in the water...think i did 4 that day just messing with em midday/lowtide..switched out the shortsnelled gami js for circles and some chafe leader above the hook leader...gets expensive gettin bit off with the j hooks losing ur sinker everytime..a few days this spring i bet i went thru 10-12 8 ounce sinkers in an evening...starts too add up real quick when ya can barely afford to eat, and ya gotta walk 1-2 miles back to the truck to get more lead if ya dont bring enough in ur back pack

alberts showed up that particular trip as those sharks above as well, one guy hooked up and almost got dumped...when he got it in it had big bitemark in it haha...these sharks were caught on chunks of that albert if i remember right

tpane...like I said a bad shot but it has one tall dorsal if you look closer..they are all small browns from NoMoCo, I have had people that know confirm them. Some of you guys are catching some big ones!

there are a ton of rays around during the summer.  pesky bastards.  a brown shark has one tall dorsal fin.  the dogfish have two of the same size dorsal fins.  where do you usually shark fish farral?

yea, the first ray was cool...over it after that one.

i stay in ocean county.

No picture but I did manage one 3-4' brown on a snag and drop bunker this summer from the yak. My brother hauled in a good size Butterfly Ray from shore on another day.

I remember someone saying "If the bennies could see what we pull out of the water at night, they would never go swimming during the day."

thats what i was always told...these butterfly rays didn't make crazy fast runs..but they RAN. long hard unstoppable pulls. the first one i hooked, soon as i set the hook, it kept going and took 100 more feet of line straight east. like it icked up my bait and kept going like i wasn't there. i have the depth hunter power pro, and i was just watching the colors change. there was plenty of drag being taken with my daiwa sealine almost locked down AND my thumb on the spool.

don't get me wrong, nothing like a brown....but these butterfly rays did indeed fight. they never suctioned to the bottom either till they were right in the wash and i was trying to drag em up...

this summer i caught a 5 foot sand tiger shark and after the first run it was like pulling dead weight close to a ray but no suction.  the worst rays are the southern stingrays.  those things will push you to beyond the breaking point.

this summer i caught a 5 foot sand tiger shark and after the first run it was like pulling dead weight close to a ray but no suction.  the worst rays are the southern stingrays.  those things will push you to beyond the breaking point.

took me 30 minutes to land a southern ray...don't know if that's quick or not but i broke a sweat...that's one scary tail on that creature