tpane35

shark fishing the nj surf

Rate this topic

1,181 posts in this topic

1000 Not a great pic but I use a 12 foot TICA with a 6500B baitrunner, 70 lb Diawa Samurai Braid, 2 feet wire to crimped 8/0circle. Most of the Browns that I have caught are cookie cutters 49 to 54inches, a couple of bigger ones at 5.5 feet or 66inches, with the circle hooks I have not needed a shock leader or with fish this size. Bluefish chunks has been our best bait. Bunker works.

I have never weighed any of these fish though. Does anyone know the approximate weight of say a 4 foot fish and then of a 5.5 foot fish. Just curious?

ive got a 10 foot tsunami airwave xh with a penn pursuit 8000 spooled up with 50 lb power pro.  i also have a 10 foot daiwa beefstick with a penn sargus spooled up with 50 lb braid.  these setups work great.  also what areas do you guys fish at.  im a big one at ibsp?  and i have fished wildwood for them to.

ive got a 10 foot tsunami airwave xh with a penn pursuit 8000 spooled up with 50 lb power pro.  i also have a 10 foot daiwa beefstick with a penn sargus spooled up with 50 lb braid.  these setups work great.  also what areas do you guys fish at.  im a big one at ibsp?  and i have fished wildwood for them to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishdoctor View Post

I use a 12 foot TICA with a 6500B baitrunner, 70 lb Diawa Samurai Braid, 2 feet wire to crimped 8/0circle. Most of the Browns that I have caught are cookie cutters 49 to 54inches, a couple of bigger ones at 5.5 feet or 66inches, with the circle hooks I have not needed a shock leader or with fish this size. Bluefish chunks has been our best bait. Bunker works.

I have never weighed any of these fish though. Does anyone know the approximate weight of say a 4 foot fish and then of a 5.5 foot fish. Just curious?

probably 35-50 pounds.  i also have a baitrunner but i use it for stripers

Amen Fishbucket. Thanks tpane. 6500 has 25 pounds of good drag so you might be suprised how they hold up. I may use my 525 this year and go conventional tough but it actually has less drag.

some from this past summer.

either a 10' tica 2-8oz.  or 11' tica 4-10oz.

both have 7000 abu.  65lb braid.  20' topshot of 60-100lb mono.  8" of 120lb coated wire.  10/0 game octo circle hook.  bunker/herring/bluefish/kingfish whatever i can get my hands on at the time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrellX View Post

sometimes you have other large, less toothy critters show up too...

does anyone know what kind of ray that is iv caught them before from a pier and usually the only kind of rays are cownose. this is the first year iv seen them.confused.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capesquan View Post

Went a few times in CMP in the summer and only got this guy.

Good fight but not a brown. Anyone had luck near CMP in the August timeframe?

yes sir i caught some huge sharks at cmp  but 2 years ago.  that is a butterfly ray.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishdoctor View Post

1000 Not a great pic but I use a 12 foot TICA with a 6500B baitrunner, 70 lb Diawa Samurai Braid, 2 feet wire to crimped 8/0circle. Most of the Browns that I have caught are cookie cutters 49 to 54inches, a couple of bigger ones at 5.5 feet or 66inches, with the circle hooks I have not needed a shock leader or with fish this size. Bluefish chunks has been our best bait. Bunker works.

that is a sand shark, we call that bait