Combo Suggestions

PaulS

Paul - Now we need to know what you want to fish for and what you'll be casting. If lures, what weights.

I'm fairly new to yak fishing so I decided to take out less expensive gear at first just in case I do something dumb. Lately I've been using a Black Cat composite spin rod and an ABU Cardinal 53. The rod I got for free and its 6 1/2'. It handles 1/4 to 5/8 oz. best. The reel I bought on ebay for under $19. It came with 2 spools. On one I've got 8# mono and on the other 12/24 Spiderwire Fusion. I have to admit that the reel is much nicer than I thought it would be. The drag works fine.

I just order a Silstar off of ebay for under $20 which is rated for lures 1/2 to 3 oz. This is for the fall run. It can handle the size lures I expect to use and bigger fish. I've got my old Reed Tackle fiberglass rod. Its heavy but a great fish fighting tool. So if the Silstar doesn't work out it will be the fall tool. Its matched up with a Daiwa 2600S. This outfit has caught many fish over the years. Its a superb fish fighting setup which should handle the fish I will hook from a yak. the rod is rated for 1/2 to 1 1/2 oz.

My fly rod is a 4 piece 9 1/2 foot 9 wt. I built a PVC case for it and it gets transported in the case to protect it. Due to the 4 pieces its easy to assemble on the water.