Sparky

Things I make - or lookee me

Rate this topic

3,480 posts in this topic

Liberated this tear-jerker of a 1920’s standing steamer trunk outta the dumpster....

...I felt she deserved a better fate...........ideally, one soaked in overpriced rum, wine & tequila...

...mission accomplished—I think, anyway:

2ECF3979-D58F-409F-94B9-248239597050.jpeg

3F2FF2BC-E47F-4B06-B4A7-F799286CC9F5.jpeg

006B45E3-E903-485E-9619-6F47036D7ACE.jpeg

2BA8D3FF-5751-4DD2-BECD-0966684C7F94.jpeg

8DA96D06-FE64-44D8-89DB-6049C9EAB533.jpeg

CEA6DD02-CB4C-4E28-AAEF-9C7E025623ED.jpeg

Edited by Mauru

6 hours ago, mybeach said:

is that something we've seen before? looks familiar.

Mmm....entirely possible, MB....

how about a curious nod/homage to the Northeast?

C4E5891A-CD95-4929-8352-E5C01350BCCF.jpeg

I just finished my second stone wall, which is the upper one above the embankment that's covered with boulders. I've done everything you see here except the few big rocks you can see way in the back.  It was just a hillside covered with brambles when we moved in eight years ago.  There's bedrock ledge in the hillside, so I build stone wall up against it, fill in with dirt behind the wall, and you have a raised bed. 

You can buy flat schist (Goshen stone) at the quarry near here and a lot of people use it for walls because it's easy to build with, but I prefer the more natural look of using irregular rocks found on-site.  Each wall is actually two walls; there's found rocks in front with a hidden wall of Goshen stone behind it. I interweave the two so the more stable flat Goshen stones stabilize the irregular rocks in front.  Put a nice flat piece of the Goshen schist on top and it makes a fine wall. Very stable.  It's just rocks stacked up, no mortar, but I can jump up and down on it and nothing moves.  

Stone wall B_1.jpg

Stone wall A_1.jpg

2 mins ago, Saltator said:

I just finished my second stone wall, which is the upper one above the embankment that's covered with boulders. I've done everything you see here except the few big rocks you can see way in the back.  It was just a hillside covered with brambles when we moved in eight years ago.  There's bedrock ledge in the hillside, so I build stone wall up against it, fill in with dirt behind the wall, and you have a raised bed. 

You can buy flat schist (Goshen stone) at the quarry near here and a lot of people use it for walls because it's easy to build with, but I prefer the more natural look of using irregular rocks found on-site.  Each wall is actually two walls; there's found rocks in front with a hidden wall of Goshen stone behind it. I interweave the two so the more stable flat Goshen stones stabilize the irregular rocks in front.  Put a nice flat piece of the Goshen schist on top and it makes a fine wall. Very stable.  It's just rocks stacked up, no mortar, but I can jump up and down on it and nothing moves.  

Stone wall B_1.jpg

Stone wall A_1.jpg

Wow...  nice job

Looks good, Saltator. Moving rocks is no easy task. I've been doing a bit of it myself lately, although most of them nowhere near that size. 

We've had water/drainage issues in the yard for years. It started coming in through the addition foundation, so it was beyond time I did something about it. Excavated away from the foundation, sealed and installed dimple mat membrane and weeping tile (perforated pipe w/sock). Installed a grate drain in the back of the yard where the water pools the worst. Ran that and downspouts out to a pop up on the side of the house. The weeping tile drains into the stair well. It won't be anything more than the water from hydrostatic pressure in there. 

Instead of trying to grow grass over the whole area again, I decided to level out the hill on the side of the house and put in a stone path. I also added the stone around the foundation for better drainage. Almost 8 tons of stone moved but thankfully I did most of it with a Kubota. 

Now I'm battling the heat in trying to grow grass wherever I didn't put stone. It's doing ok but could be better. Of course we have had very little rain since June and when it does rain, it pours which washes out the seed. It is what it is but the drainage is working great. 

The last pic is just a quick, dry stack fire pit I threw together a month before this project.

IMG_20190628_164823-01.jpeg

IMG_20190627_141427-01.jpeg

IMG_20190627_141421-01.jpeg

IMG_20190418_191200-02.jpeg