Sparky

Things I make - or lookee me

Rate this topic

2,660 posts in this topic

59 mins ago, richie c said:

I have a mahogany blank on the lathe that I'm going to turn tomorrow but 1st I have to set up my exhaust/vac  unit. Going to route it thru the wall and out  into the woods behind the shop with flex 4'' dryer vent  . My son got me the wood for Christmas. The vac/exh. is a Harbor freight 1 hp unit. It should work fine.

Do you have a two stage setup? Those cyclones do a great job! 

I use just a simple Dust Deputy on a 5 gal bucket and shopvac. Wish I had the shop for real just collection but it does the job. 

41 mins ago, Scallywag said:

You're better off in most cases buying a new machine. A lot of the time the outer tub bearing suffers damage as well. 

I had already bought a bearing set for $80 before taking the whole thing apart and finding the broken spider. Biggest thing that steered me towards a new machine was the outer plastic tub was grooved in a couple places from pieces that had broken off. Not all the way through, but enough so it worried me. That fails and you've got a flood. 

Was able to return the bearing set so didn't have to eat that cost. 

15 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

I had already bought a bearing set for $80 before taking the whole thing apart and finding the broken spider. Biggest thing that steered me towards a new machine was the outer plastic tub was grooved in a couple places from pieces that had broken off. Not all the way through, but enough so it worried me. That fails and you've got a flood. 

Was able to return the bearing set so didn't have to eat that cost. 

That's good you got the money back for the bearing set. Yeah the outer tubs usually take a few hits. I've seen them break through completely. There's other issues that arise too. Like if the front lip of the outer tub is worn, it can allow clothing to get caught between the tubs. Tubs issues usually kill a machine, unless the homeowner is doing the work themselves. It's just not worth the cost with parts and labor. 

A lot of the manufacturers don't offer the bearing separate from the outer tub. We can only put in OEM parts, so cost is always a factor. Haven't seen tub parts go for less than $400 a piece. 

14 hours ago, Scallywag said:

Do you have a two stage setup? Those cyclones do a great job! 

I use just a simple Dust Deputy on a 5 gal bucket and shopvac. Wish I had the shop for real just collection but it does the job. 

No 2 stage setup. The shavings from the lathe are very small so I'm not worried about that, its more about the dust created while turning and sanding. It'll be shot out into the woods so not worried there either.

5 mins ago, richie c said:

No 2 stage setup. The shavings from the lathe are very small so I'm not worried about that, its more about the dust created while turning and sanding. It'll be shot out into the woods so not worried there either.

Gotcha. Very cool. Make sure you post up your turnings when they're done. 

1 min ago, Scallywag said:

Gotcha. Very cool. Make sure you post up your turnings when they're done. 

I think I posted some on the Things I Make thread? I have 15 made with the new lathe and I'm going to stockpile 10 or so more for some Spring shows. I used to make furniture out of a stockpile of old 91/2''; TandG flooring. I took some to Allaire st park for a show and got lots of oohs and aahs but no sales. Got invitations to several hard to get in Juried shows and went to 1 and sold 1 thing. Never again. Sold some pieces but ended up giving most away to friends and rels.  The bowls are easier to place in the house and a hell of a lot easier to transport.

6 mins ago, richie c said:

I think I posted some on the Things I Make thread? I have 15 made with the new lathe and I'm going to stockpile 10 or so more for some Spring shows. I used to make furniture out of a stockpile of old 91/2''; TandG flooring. I took some to Allaire st park for a show and got lots of oohs and aahs but no sales. Got invitations to several hard to get in Juried shows and went to 1 and sold 1 thing. Never again. Sold some pieces but ended up giving most away to friends and rels.  The bowls are easier to place in the house and a hell of a lot easier to transport.

Unfortunately I am one of those ooh and ahh people. I love seeing makers make but I don't have deep enough pockets for most handmade stuff. There is a buyer out there but it's usually pretty niche. I don't blame you for not going to shows. 

I don't think there are too many guys doing it as their main source of income. Usually a side hustle or more for the love of it. The guys who got it right were the YouTube guys. Getting paid for people watching you make it and if you sell it, it's just added bonus. 

18 hours ago, Mauru said:

close...

a river pebble tub and an ancient buddhist temple-inspired door.......with relevant speakeasy to peek in on those not flushing...

tub.jpg

door.jpg

door2.jpg

door3.jpg

Interesting stuff there. Isn't the tub slippery, though? Like the fridge, too.

16 hours ago, hwsmike said:

Have another drink...they get blurrier 

Maybe a few more will make it clearer. 

16 hours ago, Kml said:

The door is awesome but a peek a boo window on a bathroom door is odd.

Ha! Thanks K.....no worries...there's a latched privacy door/cover on the opposite side of that thing...I just thought the look was pretty unique

Edited by Mauru

18 hours ago, Kml said:

The door is awesome but a peek a boo window on a bathroom door is odd.

That ts there in case you run out of toilet paper mid dump.

You can have someone rescue you without having to open the door.

Dual-purpose bike stand: hold bike up for “parking” and cleaning as well as lift bike for repair or lubing that requires working the drivetrain. 

C0F512F7-4ABC-4646-91F4-CB39A5AD56AA.jpeg.bda5f7dc6cb64d6407c94e8796759b3b.jpeg

The floor stand is inspired by similar design by one of the bike-hack Youtube accounts. He used 2x4s but I beefed up to 4x4 or doubled 2x4 for extra height along tires and extra weight for second function. I used wood I had hanging around or “scrap” from nearby construction. 

1C36E378-BB34-4340-A1FE-A9C06E43C04E.jpeg.c7c60f83bc25f082f1643db61c6782d7.jpeg

D3325372-BBC1-46D4-AD4D-86EA933E9B64.jpeg.1300d6e9a5f299647b8bb887a4c6e6a7.jpeg

Cheap standing repair stands start at $70 and Parktool quality runs $170 or more. The cheap stands top out at 50 pounds which will be about what this weighs when fully rigged (about 44# now). So I decided to try my own which works perfectly, at this weight. 

I bought a bench-mount clamp off of Amzn that got good reviews. It’s ability to rotate easily can accommodate clamping to the seat stem or the diagonal tube. On a bench it is a brilliant design. 

I did not want this in my garage but the design looked promising and it was.  The OD of the down pipe was an exact match for the ID of 1.25” PVC which was almost a perfect match for the OD of 1” galvanized pipe. I secured a 1” flange into the 4x4 with lag screws. A 36” nipple screwed into that.

5B04B94F-E515-498E-8E85-219EB8744274.jpeg.7a5dfde93d9e0207e5a3462485fed950.jpeg

The PVC was cut to a height that allowed the bottom of the clamp’s downstem to sit on top of the nipple. 

74CD8ED0-3D9E-4C88-98CE-D183F3C28DE8.jpeg.7418106aceee49688999ce5bc4563cc3.jpeg

FB3BE85F-857F-471A-81CE-0F41F34A7B26.jpeg.5ee79610fe1a6934f8f5eb8f84e5e51a.jpeg

The hw whole thing is pretty secure, though I would not want to run a repair business off this Frankenstand. For my occasional use it will suffice. The test will be after the rack and milk crate are attached. Stay tuned for that. 

While I did not “make” this, I installed a ceiling pulley rack for out-of-the-way storage in the garage. Works really well. 

F34F0B4C-75EA-46ED-8BE9-CECB42A63864.jpeg.edbd62838b4753ab12bf2158698443d8.jpeg

ETA: If it is not obvious, the vertical pipe will be unscrewed and stored in a corner when not needed which will be most of the time. Otherwise, front tire won’t lock into place. 

Edited by tomkaz

2 hours ago, tomkaz said:

Dual-purpose bike stand: hold bike up for “parking” and cleaning as well as lift bike for repair or lubing that requires working the drivetrain. 

C0F512F7-4ABC-4646-91F4-CB39A5AD56AA.jpeg.bda5f7dc6cb64d6407c94e8796759b3b.jpeg

The floor stand is inspired by similar design by one of the bike-hack Youtube accounts. He used 2x4s but I beefed up to 4x4 or doubled 2x4 for extra height along tires and extra weight for second function. I used wood I had hanging around or “scrap” from nearby construction. 

1C36E378-BB34-4340-A1FE-A9C06E43C04E.jpeg.c7c60f83bc25f082f1643db61c6782d7.jpeg

D3325372-BBC1-46D4-AD4D-86EA933E9B64.jpeg.1300d6e9a5f299647b8bb887a4c6e6a7.jpeg

Cheap standing repair stands start at $70 and Parktool quality runs $170 or more. The cheap stands top out at 50 pounds which will be about what this weighs when fully rigged (about 44# now). So I decided to try my own which works perfectly, at this weight. 

I bought a bench-mount clamp off of Amzn that got good reviews. It’s ability to rotate easily can accommodate clamping to the seat stem or the diagonal tube. On a bench it is a brilliant design. 

I did not want this in my garage but the design looked promising and it was.  The OD of the down pipe was an exact match for the ID of 1.25” PVC which was almost a perfect match for the OD of 1” galvanized pipe. I secured a 1” flange into the 4x4 with lag screws. A 36” nipple screwed into that.

5B04B94F-E515-498E-8E85-219EB8744274.jpeg.7a5dfde93d9e0207e5a3462485fed950.jpeg

The PVC was cut to a height that allowed the bottom of the clamp’s downstem to sit on top of the nipple. 

74CD8ED0-3D9E-4C88-98CE-D183F3C28DE8.jpeg.7418106aceee49688999ce5bc4563cc3.jpeg

FB3BE85F-857F-471A-81CE-0F41F34A7B26.jpeg.5ee79610fe1a6934f8f5eb8f84e5e51a.jpeg

The hw whole thing is pretty secure, though I would not want to run a repair business off this Frankenstand. For my occasional use it will suffice. The test will be after the rack and milk crate are attached. Stay tuned for that. 

While I did not “make” this, I installed a ceiling pulley rack for out-of-the-way storage in the garage. Works really well. 

F34F0B4C-75EA-46ED-8BE9-CECB42A63864.jpeg.edbd62838b4753ab12bf2158698443d8.jpeg

ETA: If it is not obvious, the vertical pipe will be unscrewed and stored in a corner when not needed which will be most of the time. Otherwise, front tire won’t lock into place. 

You put too much thought into your fixie