Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishnbear

Spinfisher V "clicking"

83 posts in this topic

I just purchased an SSV 4500 and fished it the past two days. I'm exerpiencing this clicking issue throughout the retreive, more so under a load.

In addition, I've had at least 12 or 15 instances of the bail snapping closed during the cast. This is something I've rarely had happen with any of my other Penn reels.

It's rather dissapointing as I had high hopes for this reel since it was announced and would have picked up at least two more if I was having a better experience with this one.

I just purchased an SSV 4500 and fished it the past two days. I'm exerpiencing this clicking issue throughout the retreive, more so under a load.

In addition, I've had at least 12 or 15 instances of the bail snapping closed during the cast. This is something I've rarely had happen with any of my other Penn reels.

It's rather dissapointing as I had high hopes for this reel since it was announced and would have picked up at least two more if I was having a better experience with this one.

Good evening......I'm sorry to hear about the problem you've had with your reel. If you could PM us your mailing/contact information........phone number and email address, we'll be able to send you a UPS Call Tag. We'd like to take a look at the reel for QA purposes and to get it running fine for you again.

Take care.....Tom

Eng5Lt, i am very surprised by your misfortune because i have the same model and it's been stellar , never suffered a clicking problem even under load and i have found the bail to be very dependable and sure.

I can't recall it ever flipping accidentally during a cast so make sure you give Penn your info so they can rectify the issue asap and have you back fishing fast.

Good luck this season.

I have two of the ssv 5500 that I fish hard catch a fair amount of fish both reels had been smooth as silk. I do clean my reels very good after use and have just done a light service to both with no notice of any wear on anything. I use lite oil on all ext components after every use great reel!

Good evening.....Our apologies for the late reply. We've been working with some things that helps greatly if someone comes across the clicking sound during the course of the spool movement. The adding of grease helped some, but the reels we've reworked recently have been turning out very well.

Have a good night and a great Father's Day...........Tom

So what are you reworking? And what are the chances of having this problem? This problem is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on a 4500.

So what are you reworking? And what are the chances of having this problem? This problem is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on a 4500.

Good morning....We've been working with a few things.We'll shim the main gear to see if the sound lessens and so far we've seen great improvment using this fix.We've also run across some cases where we may have to change out the cross wind block to lessen the sound. Any other questions or concerns,please feel free to contact us.

Tom

Eng5Lt - I'm with CNN on this one...I have never heard of the bail closing accidentally on the new SSV reels...on any size....under any circumstance. We'd like to see your reel, would you be willing to send your reel to us (we can send you a call tag so you dont incur any shipping charges)? We can take a look at the clicking issue at the same time. Let me know.

Mike

Thanks. If that's all it is I'll give it a shot. Worst case scenario its $3 in parts and a 10 minute fix, if I have the problem and don't want to send it in.

Islander,

There would be no charge for the parts....this "clicking" problem has been very infrequent and random but we want to correct as many reels as possible on the house. We will be happy to send shims or shim your reel in Philly free of charge.

tony

Eng5Lt - I'm with CNN on this one...I have never heard of the bail closing accidentally on the new SSV reels...on any size....under any circumstance. We'd like to see your reel, would you be willing to send your reel to us (we can send you a call tag so you dont incur any shipping charges)? We can take a look at the clicking issue at the same time. Let me know.

Mike

Sending a PM with the info now.

Like i said, rarely have I every had an issue with the bail snapping closed on my other reels (Battle, Sargus, Slammer and other brands) So I know it's not just me.

And the clicking sound/feel on retrieving occurred on the first day out with the reel.

I like the design and features of the reel , so I'd be happy to have these issues resolved

Thanks for responding.

To get such responsive service and genuine dedication and commitment to make their customers happy, other manufacturers require you spend big bucks on one of their most expensive models, to see a big time Company and major player like Penn offer this type of service to everyone regardless of how much you spend says a lot and gives Penn a decisive edge over it's competition.

I just got an ssv 6500LL. There is a little space between the handle and the body. Is this normal or am I missing a part there? I saw a little about this here but it was more aimed toward the plug you put in in opposite side of handle. Thanks.

I just got an ssv 6500LL. There is a little space between the handle and the body. Is this normal or am I missing a part there? I saw a little about this here but it was more aimed toward the plug you put in in opposite side of handle. Thanks.

Rider,

Check out the 3rd and 4th pic in this thread, if this is the gap you are referring to, yes it is normal.

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/867129/is-this-normal-ssv-3500

tony