Big Plugs in Spring

Rate this topic

BrianBM

All these years, I got started, pretty consistently, with small plugs - black bass stuff, really. When i got tired of not catching, I'd float a sandworm and hope nobody was looking. More recently it's been small flies - if nothing else, I need casting practice with the flyrod. Perhaps, as long as no specific bait is showing, this has been misapplied. Any of you guys bother to fish large plugs or flies in the spring?

Brian: for the past 4yrs I have been using large plugs in the spring on occation. For the most part I use your average size bombers stlyes. But did have some good days using the larger size. I have a few 9" "spook" stye plugs I tried when the bunker are in early on in the season. They do get tiring-some to toss and have had the plugs ignored on occations. The jury is still out on this one, but I'll try different alternatives. love too hear from others on this.

Brian...

I have had very very very good experiences with the 7" mag pearl Bombers in the spring. (But always at night on a good tide or sweep.

Also the 1,1/2oz yellow pencil pooper has been good to me at dusk and dawn.

My secret plug which gets em every time is 9 inches and I use that in the spring and fall.

But I use these big boys for about ten minutes each as I switch around between the traditional smaller spring stuff.. if I get a hit OK if not its back in the bag...

I look at these guys fishing nothing but bucktails (and they do get their fish) but in spurts as the fish go by feeding on the smaller stuff.... the bigger plugs "especially when you scent them up heavy" can trigger a strike from the passive bigger bass in the area that wont actively chase the small bait "but" will ambush a bigger crippled looking bait as easy prey.

Thats been my experience.... there are big fish out there in the spring too... you'll catch less fish wih the bigger plugs but when you do get one "its usually bigger than the norm for that day"... But the scent factor is more important in he spring than in the fall... please keep that in mind when using the bigger plugs... it will boost your percentage.

[This message has been edited by Awesome John (edited 02-18-2002).]

The Horizon Calls..........

Yes---if darters or bottle plugs work in a spot in the fall---they'll work there in the spring, too.

With jigs, same trailers, too. Maybe I'l also tie on a smaller teaser and let the fish tell me what size bait they want.

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

The big stuff I throw in the spring is usually yellow, white, or black, and then usually a darter w/teaser. Small mega-baits and 6" bombers w/ teasers as well. Up until July about 40% total catch is on a white feather teaser.

JC

...where ignorance is bliss, 'Tis folly to be wise.
---------------------------------------------
Thomas Gray (1742)

Regardless of season, I always have a 2 1/2 oz darter, 3 1/2 oz polaris popper, and 3 oz bottle plug in my bag when fishing the ocean. Most of the time its just needed for distance, and the schoolies don't seem to shy away from them but if there are large there you're gonna need them. Big plugs catch big fish. Works for me.

America, the country so great that even its haters refuse to leave.