Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Loomis

Best Kayak Spinning Reel for the $

33 posts in this topic

Henry,

I guess the point I was trying to make is that accidents happen all the time and that worrying about losing a rod overboard shouldn't prevent you from using your best gear.Most of the people I know that kayak fish in the salt use rod leashes and rarely lose gear.Does it happen,sure as I'm sure you've known boaters who have lost stuff occasionally.A kayak or a boat is only as good as the guy piloting it.Most of the yak guys I know are among the safest and best prepared out there.I'm going to guess from your description of a kayak as being "little old and wobbly" that you don't fish from a kayak?Lets try to stay on subject here,he asked about reels and I tried to answer him.I'm glad you've never dropped a reel into the drink,neither have I.

Loomis,

If you're worried about "trashing" them,learn to tear them down and clean and grease them.

Again, I have to agree with fishnbear. This was the important part of his post for me. Get a reel that is easy to service. Some take a few minutes, some take half an hour, Big difference.

IMO i would wait for the Live Liner feature on the Spinfisher. I believe it will be out Jan 2013. I think it will give you another option that you wouldnt normally have with the standard model. I currently use baitrunner on the yak and i find the option very useful when live lining bunker or eels...now that its sealed i am def going to look into that ....Just my .02

Danny

IMO i would wait for the Live Liner feature on the Spinfisher. I believe it will be out Jan 2013. I think it will give you another option that you wouldnt normally have with the standard model. I currently use baitrunner on the yak and i find the option very useful when live lining bunker or eels...now that its sealed i am def going to look into that ....Just my .02

Danny

Agreed, the liveliner feature is a great thing to have in the yak for trolling etc..much better than needing to constantly tighten and loosen the drag. I also agree about maintenance, no excuse these days not to be able to maintain these simple spinners.

Sometimes you hear about guys that can't even spool their own reels :dismay: this should be one of the first things learned when starting out, i can understand wanting to have it quickly spooled at a shop if your short on time but not knowing how to do it, that's a totally different story.

The trouble with liveliners is they have many more parts, and in my experience, are much more likely to break down and more difficult to service. I use one in the kayak but it is way more temperamental.

The trouble with liveliners is they have many more parts, and in my experience, are much more likely to break down and more difficult to service. I use one in the kayak but it is way more temperamental.

Depends which liveliners your talking about. The older Penn liveliners are as simple as it gets but some of the others are a pita.

My experience is with the Penn Slammer Liveliners and the Shimano Baitrunners. I love the Slammers, but in the liveliner model they suck. And the Shimano Baitrunner is also difficult to service. Lotsa little pieces.

Thanks guys for all the feedback. I still am a little hesitant to take a part a couple of my reels. I made the mistake of trying to service a Stella myself, needless to say I will never do that again. I have seen the new Spinfishers in the store, but will wait until they have the live-liner feature (to at least see it) before purchasing.

Thanks again SOL

Thanks guys for all the feedback. I still am a little hesitant to take a part a couple of my reels. I made the mistake of trying to service a Stella myself, needless to say I will never do that again. I have seen the new Spinfishers in the store, but will wait until they have the live-liner feature (to at least see it) before purchasing.

Thanks again SOL

The Stella is one reel you don't wan't to take apart if you don't know it well, Shimano has a platinum service plan for them and will have it back to you in 48 hours. The majority of other reels are much much simpler.

My shimano symetre fj 4000 does well. Even when it's getting hit by waves in the rear rod holder. I just wash it off with fresh water. Now I have a ssv4500 by penn but only dunked it in freshwater with no ill effects.

I've been happy with the shimano Saragossa. When properly maintained, it works very well and can take a dunking. Send it back for maintenance every once in a while, and it comes back like a new reel. I use the 3000 with a St Croix 7' tidemaster with 20 lb braid. Next step up in performance is a lot more cash.

I have been fishing hard for last year and half out of my Hobie. The only times that I an really threatend with dumping my gear is a surf launch, which can be avoided plenty of ways, that being said.  I have some light inshore rods, like Diawa Advantage 2x2500, and 4000 Coastal 3000, Penn 710Z, 704Z, Shimano Curado 201E, and 5000 Baitrunner,  2x Avet MXs, a Penn 950SS (that was recently ruined when I loaned it out, A 8500 was bought to replace that but I am not sure how I feel about it) and I just purchased a ZX2-22.  My normal battery of combos is 1 Avet, my 5000 Baitrunner, Curado, and one of the Diawas.  I use the Avet and Baitrunner and Curado for big Bull Reds (36"+) and the Diawa for trout and misc fish I feel like targeting.  When I get my ZX on a rod I'll cut my rods to 3, Light, Medium, and Heavy.  A good Rinse after has worked well, no wobley kayak worries for me.  But I do leash the Rods when they are not in use.  Hope this helps. 

-Jonathan 

Been kayaking 4 full seasons now. Lost two rods/reels in the drink, (also a camera and drowned a camera in a hatch that was supposed to be water tight). I know I'm going to get flack for this but I fish Okuma Baitfeeders almost exclusively. Very inexpensive, work fine for me. Drags good enough for 20lb+ Stripers, 10lb Blues and 8lb Tog. ABF30's, 40's and 50's. They cast a mile with decent braid on them. Yes the Avenger models. I don't tear them down, a basic lube every now and then and a wash after every use. Life expectancy 2-3 years getting dunked often and occasional sand while fishing from the beach. Purchased two more a couple of months ago from an online tackle store in Michigan, just over 70 bucks shipped. Plus they all come with an extra spool so since I've been fishing these awhile and have replaced a couple I have plenty of spare spools with line on them for exactly what I'm doing. Retail at the bigger stores is closer to $50 or more a piece. They're disposable so I don't have to sweat a dunking or a mishap and I'm always fishing a pretty new and always smooth reel. Also have a 3500B Shimano that has been pretty good to me.