Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Loomis

Best Kayak Spinning Reel for the $

33 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I was curious what you all thought was the best spinning reel for the money? I have been interested in getting started in taking the yak out in the salt (already do this in freshwater). The thing is I am a little nervous about trashing my reels (I don't have anything fully sealed). I have a Stella and Stradic in 4K and a Saragosa in 5K which I use primarily from the boat/bay and down south, but something about potentially dunking them scares the crud out of me.

Thanks in advance!

The new Penn spinfisher will be a logical choice. The Quantum Cabos are also nice and stand up to salt water better than most reels. Its a tough call cause they tend to get dunked so you need a reel that can stand up to salt and at the same time they tend to get dropped over board and reels that stand up to salt (VS, ZB, Torques) are too expensive to drop overboard without having a coronary.

The spinfisher is about as close as you can get to a sealed reel for under 160 clams. Good luck.

I bought the Saragossa 4000 for albie fishing.....sold it and bought a few more older sphero's 4000 FA's. There is nothing special about the saragossa from my own point of view to justify buying another one for albie set ups. What I don't like about the Saragossa and Spheros is the big jump in weight from about 12ounce to 20 ounces and nothing in between. Even the new Stradic series jumps from 10-20 ounces with nothing in between. I had the older Stradics that were white with gold spools that were horrible in the salt from the kayak but at least it was suitable 14-15ounces to fish for bigger bass. Now I'm fishing 100% baitcasters from the kayak for bass, so I could care less now. It just seems that Shimano feels they don't have a market for 14-16oz spinning reels and I think that's a shame, specially since I still plug with 1-3 or 1-4oz plugging rods 9-10' and for me a 14-16oz spinning reel fits great.....Hey, Penns paying attention....I have the new Penn V's 3500 (13.4oz) -4500 (14oz). I think I may start replacing my Spheros albie line up with the 3500-4500 V's. It's a no brainer to have a sealed reel for kayak use without breaking the bank. I can't comment on full performance on the reel until I use it for a season. I opened it up for inspection after albie & bass fishing and also gave it a quick dunk in the drink. No signs of intrusion and all I did was open it, pull it apart, re-assembled and closed it after found nothing wrong. So if you are looking for a spinning reel for short money for bass fishing that is sealed for kayak use, so far the 4500 V would be worthy.......hopefully it will last. Time will tell.

I just ordered a couple of the Penn Spinfisher V's. I agree that it may be a very logical choice with the seals they have engineered into the design. Obviously it's too early to be a proven reel, but for the money it's definitely worth a shot. Penn lost me as a customer years ago with their failure to keep up with technology but they seem to be making big strides to gain customer confidence. I don't really care for the new Torque for various reasons, but this new Spinfisher V has got my attention because of design and price point. We'll see. ;)

I've been a fan of the shimano baitrunner 4000 for the yak. I really don't use bait much, but I like the baitrunner feature to ease line out while on the troll. Not a huge motivator for getting a baitrunner, though. Those sealed spinfishers have eye. I'll probably try one of those out next.

I've been fairly happy with my Penn Battles. I have 2 in the 3000 size and 1 in 4000. The 3000's get used the most. I've gone lighter over the years. The new Penn Spinfisher V looks really interesting. I'll probably pick one up to try it out.

I have been extremely impressed with the battles. They have been very good for over 2 years now. For the money I thought they would be garbage, but of the hundreds that I sold I have zero come back in for warranty or maintenance issues. They are a good choice for the money. But no seals. The Spinfisher is more of a Penn. The Battle is basically a Pflueger.

I like my Spheros 4000FA and have dunked it several times (actually more often than not, its in the water when I catch a fish). I rinse it after every use. If I dunk it, I give an extra rinse and use a couple of drops of CorrosionX. Once a year I use some engine degreaser and re-lube with a little marine grease and a few drops of CorrosionX. The reel is very smooth even with my repeated abuse. I'll never learn not to dunk the reel, unless I break it.

Loomis,

I'm not going to speculate on which is the best reel for the money because its too subjective.You could ask ten different people and get ten different answers.Seems like you already own 3 nice reels.If you're worried about "trashing" them,learn to tear them down and clean and grease them.I fish my Stradic FJ from my yak in salt all the time and have had no problems.As far as dropping one overboard.You could just as easily drop your reel overboard in a boat as your kayak.A rod leash is worth considering if you're worried about losing gear over the side.Not trying to discourage you from buying a new reel if thats your intent.Just seems like its more a matter of want vs need.That said, I picked up a Penn Spinfisher V 4500 and its have been very happy with it.

Good Luck

Loomis,

I'm not going to speculate on which is the best reel for the money because its too subjective.You could ask ten different people and get ten different answers.Seems like you already own 3 nice reels.If you're worried about "trashing" them,learn to tear them down and clean and grease them.I fish my Stradic FJ from my yak in salt all the time and have had no problems.As far as dropping one overboard.You could just as easily drop your reel overboard in a boat as your kayak.A rod leash is worth considering if you're worried about losing gear over the side.Not trying to discourage you from buying a new reel if thats your intent.Just seems like its more a matter of want vs need.That said, I picked up a Penn Spinfisher V 4500 and its have been very happy with it.

Good Luck

:th::th::th:

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishnbear View Post

Loomis,

Good Luck

I have to disagree with that part of your post.  I've been fishing from boats for 40 years, from a 12 ft aluminum on up to big old 60 ft plus sportfisherman and have never dropped a rod overboard.  Further, no one I've fished with has dropped one over while I"ve been with them.  Seems to me the likelihood of dropping one in a little old wobbly kayak is MUCH greater.