Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blind squirl

Fishing in NJ for December,2012

Rate this topic

1,107 posts in this topic

Tomorrow morning: wind east at 5-10 mph; cloudy (occasional showers); incoming tide. Don't forget the buck tails! :)

Actually, they're saying E 10-15 overnight then SE 10-15 with gusts up to 25.

Sadly I wrapped up my season today. Tried to find someone to go with me but every fishing buddy I asked turned me down and said boat fish don't count :confused: So I ended up taking a coworker who's a freshwater boat fisherman. We drove through a big pod of dolphin on the way out. I never really thought they hung around this late, so that was pretty cool. Togging started off slow so I pulled anchor to go hit some diving bird action. Bass were chasing bunker? herring? to the surface where they were easy pickings for the birds. We got one for the box and a bunch of schoolies before boat traffic scattered the action. Went back to togging and got a few keepers and a bunch of shorts. I just wanted to send my friend home with some fish so that was a success.

This will be the first year in the last 12, maybe more, that I didn't surf fish once. :shock: Oh well, fishing is fishing. It's all good to me.

Happy Holidays everyone. :)

Great looking striper, Salty. Do I see blue in that Clouser. What weight rod and line do yo use.

tsorod - I confess, Tom (Knight771) is on a retainer. He's my PR guy. Now I;m going to have to send him money. He was a hell of a Huey rotorhead pilot. "Back in the Day."

This is Charlie's T&T 8 wgt with a Scott James custom reel with shooting head. The fly is a Clouser with light blue on top, yellow and white bucktail with a little flash mixed in. Sorry for the late reply RJ.....the color combo has been hot along with a dark blue version on top. But having the fly in front of the fish is key as they are really eating tons of mole crabs and small "any crab".

Sadly I wrapped up my season today. Tried to find someone to go with me but every fishing buddy I asked turned me down and said boat fish don't count :confused: So I ended up taking a coworker who's a freshwater boat fisherman. We drove through a big pod of dolphin on the way out. I never really thought they hung around this late, so that was pretty cool. Togging started off slow so I pulled anchor to go hit some diving bird action. Bass were chasing bunker? herring? to the surface where they were easy pickings for the birds. We got one for the box and a bunch of schoolies before boat traffic scattered the action. Went back to togging and got a few keepers and a bunch of shorts. I just wanted to send my friend home with some fish so that was a success.

This will be the first year in the last 12, maybe more, that I didn't surf fish once. :shock: Oh well, fishing is fishing. It's all good to me.

Happy Holidays everyone. :)

Nice BIg E!!! You know I would have gone but I had a blast up at Far Rockaway. As much as I love to fish, helping people that were affected by Sandy blows away anything I could do in the suds. This was an event where the best chefs in New Orleans along with their Mayor came to Far Rockaway to serve their incredible food to the people of the area. Over 1000 people came. Let me tell you, the people of New Orleans know how to have a good time. They had a New Orleans brass band make the trip that had the place rockin. After this it was over to NYC to meet my kids for a couple of holiday cocktails at Santacon. For those that have never been to Santacon in the city, its hilarious. A bunch of drunk Santas through out the city. Think of the movie Bad Santa. So thats my fishing report for yesterday.

CT resident here, living vicariously through you guys. Got down there for the first time last summer and had a blast. Stayed in OC. I'm done for the season and awaiting the spring run in the CT River. Quick question for RJ. Most "experts" maintain that stripers do not spawn in the CT River yet myself and others have seen/caught bass 4"-10" in the summer while targeting white perch. I believe that they do spawn here but maybe it's not in significant numbers? Is there any other reason bass of that size would be in our river? Do you have any info on studies done on the CT River population? Thank you in advance, really appreciate all of the knowledge you so freely share.

Ok MC55, let's go fishing.  wink.gif

Actually I used up my eel and realized I misplaced the rest of the pack.  I've been looking for the last few weeks to buy more & that is when I heard Vision was shutting shop.  Then finally yesterday I found them and the shop owner said guys were coming in buy 10 packs per person and this was his last order.  I should go back for the rest of the case and setup a stand in the SFZ.  biggrin.gif

Oh and my report, stopped off, in the zone yesterday for a quick 90 minute set of casts.  Water was really clean but no love. 

Managed 2 this morning, one was 32''(still swimming). On 6'' shads. Both in the dark, didn't have a bump after 7. Great water, thought it was going to be a great morning. Now its football time.

Fished for a few hours this morning. Nice water and some good current. Stoped off at my first picked up 2 fish in the dark. Biggest being 26". Then moved on to my second spot and picked up three more.nothing of any great size. All caught on the MC55. That lure really does work. Lol. 1508958

This is Charlie's T&T 8 wgt with a Scott James custom reel with shooting head. The fly is a Clouser with light blue on top, yellow and white bucktail with a little flash mixed in. Sorry for the late reply RJ.....the color combo has been hot along with a dark blue version on top. But having the fly in front of the fish is key as they are really eating tons of mole crabs and small "any crab".

Thanks buddy, Thomas & Thomas rods are works of art. I'll be using my March Brown, 7 piece 8 wt and a Tioga reel & WF8I AirFlo ridge Cold water line for the surf tomorrow.

Wind and weather permitting.

I have Clouser's in that color combination and Dave Skok's Mole Crab flys and they will be in the fly box i take to the beach. Thanks for tip.

Last year it was sand eels and this year its mole crabs. ya gotta love NJ beaches. :wave:

CT resident here, living vicariously through you guys. Got down there for the first time last summer and had a blast. Stayed in OC. I'm done for the season and awaiting the spring run in the CT River. Quick question for RJ. Most "experts" maintain that stripers do not spawn in the CT River yet myself and others have seen/caught bass 4"-10" in the summer while targeting white perch. I believe that they do spawn here but maybe it's not in significant numbers? Is there any other reason bass of that size would be in our river? Do you have any info on studies done on the CT River population? Thank you in advance, really appreciate all of the knowledge you so freely share.

carp13 From what I've read and the two times I fished the CT River near the Airport up by Hartford here's my opinion. Large Striped bass move up the t. River in April and May following waves of River Herring and American Shad. They stay in that middle section of the River until the Shad and Herring spawn and begin to leave the river. The Stripers follow the spawned out fish down to the lower end (Salt water) and fishing for striped bass near the I-95 Bridge over the CT River remains outstanding for most of June.

The most knowledgeable SOL, CT River Angler know is Brother Brian you might want to take my name in vain and PM him.

Check the State of CT. Internet sites for the CT River. I know you will find some interesting reading on it about what goes on in the River. The Connecticut River has fish alddders to allow migrating species to ascend the river's upper portions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishless View Post

Ok MC55, let's go fishing.  wink.gif

Actually I used up my eel and realized I misplaced the rest of the pack.  I've been looking for the last few weeks to buy more & that is when I heard Vision was shutting shop.  Then finally yesterday I found them and the shop owner said guys were coming in buy 10 packs per person and this was his last order.  I should go back for the rest of the case and setup a stand in the SFZ.  biggrin.gif

Oh and my report, stopped off, in the zone yesterday for a quick 90 minute set of casts.  Water was really clean but no love. 

Nice, you would have no problem selling them in the Zone, lol.  Not sure they are closing up shop, but they apparently have an injunction against them to currently stop production.  Never know how long that will last.

Glad to hear a few guys are out there getting fish this morning.  Water was looking great in the stretch of Zone I fish, but didn't see a thing caught and I couldn't buy a bump.  Sure looked like there should have been fish around.  Hope the fat lady isn't starting to warm up in the wings.