Fishing in NJ for December,2012

Rate this topic

blind squirl

As usual, post reports here.......as little or as much detail as you would like to provide the reader. Please don't post specific street names or areas. Sometimes just a town name is too much information! Doing so only adds to the traffic in certain areas and it might cause an internet feud. For example, you can say that you caught fish in Ocean County but saying that you got them at Ocean Beach is a no-no. Feel free to share any thoughts you might have on local conditions and "I got the old skunkaroo" reports" are OK too.

Some popular acronyms:

SH- Sandy Hook

NoMoCo- Northern Monmouth County

SoMoCo- Southern Monmouth County

SFZ-Spring Fling Zone (SRI-Shark River Inlet to MI- Manasquan Inlet)

OC Ocean County

IBSP-Island Beach State Park

LBI- Long Beach Island

AC- Atlantic County

CISP- Corson's Inlet State Park

CMC- Cape May County

CMR- Cape May Rips

Still looking for my first 30.

Just got back from being in Florida for 2 weeks, do I have anything to look forward to or has the fat lady sung?

Seriously..do you really need to ask that. You know there is only one way to find out. And to add insult..2 weeks in Florida.

If you use eclairs in your example, he will get it right away. MikeMc

Seriously..do you really need to ask that. You know there is only one way to find out. And to add insult..2 weeks in Florida.

Hahahahaha, I figured I would just stir the pot early on a December morning.

I'll be out tomorrow with full report to follow. Btw Florida fishing is awesome.

If you ride like lighting, you'll crash like thunder.

Got out with my brother on the yaks yesterday ocean side in NoMoCo. We got in the water around noon and ciould see a couple boats pretty far out. We decided to head out there since it was really flat and we brought some green crabs to drop on the rocks if we couldn't find any bass. On the peddle out I marked a lot of small bait pods and once we got about a mile and half out the schools became very thick but no fish marks on them. at that point my brother noticed that north about 2 miles or so there was a blitz going full steam with birds everywhere. So again we got back on the peddle. Took us about 40 mins to get to the birds. Just as we got there I saw bass swirling on top and a min later a white hogy I was trolling got whacked and i brought a 31 incher boat side. A nice healthy ocean fish. The bait and fish would pop up and go down quickly and then pop up 30-50 yards away. This made it really tough in the yaks. I was able to get a bluefish around 5-7#'s and got bit in half a few times. Judging from the way the bait and fish were moving i was thinking rainfish and the keepers stomach confirmed this. I know guys are saying there are sandeels out there but it really looked like a crap ton of rainfish everywhere.

John

Create instead of living off the buying and selling of others.......

Got out with my brother on the yaks yesterday ocean side in NoMoCo. We got in the water around noon and ciould see a couple boats pretty far out. We decided to head out there since it was really flat and we brought some green crabs to drop on the rocks if we couldn't find any bass. On the peddle out I marked a lot of small bait pods and once we got about a mile and half out the schools became very thick but no fish marks on them. at that point my brother noticed that north about 2 miles or so there was a blitz going full steam with birds everywhere. So again we got back on the peddle. Took us about 40 mins to get to the birds. Just as we got there I saw bass swirling on top and a min later a white hogy I was trolling got whacked and i brought a 31 incher boat side. A nice healthy ocean fish. The bait and fish would pop up and go down quickly and then pop up 30-50 yards away. This made it really tough in the yaks. I was able to get a bluefish around 5-7#'s and got bit in half a few times. Judging from the way the bait and fish were moving i was thinking rainfish and the keepers stomach confirmed this. I know guys are saying there are sandeels out there but it really looked like a crap ton of rainfish everywhere.

John

Nice report!

Lots of little guys this morning in the Zone using a 4 inch yellow shad. Was as close to a blitz as I think I will get this fall. Picked up 10 or more fish, lost count after awhile. NE wind was blowin hard so not easy getting that hunk of plastic out there, good thing the fish were in the wave roll wash. All the fish were anywhere from a foot long to 18 inches. Not a lot of fight, but fun catching and better then the skunk again. Plenty of clean white water out there this morning that should be holding fish. Will try and give it another go later today.

Clammed nomoco this AM. 3 bass to 26.5". Nomoco was chocolate... looks like MC found cleaner water south. Big rollers where I was at too, 8 oz was getting swept and I barely managed. NE winds gusting 20. Birds working the surf zone all morning picking at rainbait / sandeels (now not so sure if they're sandeels from Spaniard's report).

I may have saw you this morning if you were on a jetty. I was working the beach as the jetties were occupied. Got one good take. Birds on bait as you

mentioned. I was thinking rainfish. Clammed as well as T Hex and sand eel teaser. Glad you got some. Once the NE cahnged to E it was over.

Nah I was on sand all morning. Im not so sure the wind change is responsible as much as the tide around 8:30, it was switching back and forth for the most part N to E to somewhere inbetween. Got most of my bites on incoming. Outgoing maybe 2-3 hits and caught a rat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSpaniard View Post

John

Did you see any other yakers? 6 or 7 of us were out in nomoco under birds working anywhere from 2 to 3 miles off shore. We had some good action with fish up to 33/34 inch range. I'm with ya on those sand eels... I've heard mention of them here and there but have yet to see a single one, and I've been under my fair share of birds the past couple weeks. Fingers crossed they make a strong showing, I've got tons of visions and tailed avas!