Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dubs

What type of Yak are ya paddlin?

27 posts in this topic

JimDE,

That's one fish'n machine. How does it handle as far as turning etc. Can you stand up and cast?

BTW where in DE are you from? I grew up in Stanton not far from DE Park.

TWF

OK! I have been watch'en you guys for the past 3 days.I have to fess up, my Yak is Circa 1972! It's a Klepper Tramp "S"...Yeah... they don't make them any more! It's fiber-glass,13'-9",32Lbs,single seater <much like the OT Loon 138> that you guys are so hot on! Lets remember that everything that we have in life is a gift from the Dead ,or at least a knock off.In 73' I took it down the Yellow Knife River(in British Columbia)with 12 days of supplies & gear!At that time a 13'9" yak would fit inside the Aircraft.It was a great yak for that type of a trip. It's a good boat for the back Bay at IBSP; BUT A BACK WAVE IN THE SURF ,ON THE OCEAN SIDE, COULD FLIP YOU OVER,AS HAS HAPPENED TO ME!Wear a PFD and use a single paddle for better control! If you can retro- fit your Yak with a rudder... DO SO ,as you will have better control.This is not an easy sport to handle with respect to the rapid changes of Mother Nature! Unlike a canoe ,the center of gravity and steering rudder arm of a kayak is in the center, and prohibits a quick response from an on side cresting wave! Practice in a swimming pool and learn how to do a 360 degree roll BEFORE you take on the surf ...PLEASE REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE LIVING LIFE ON THE RAZORS EDGE... as there is not one manufacturer that will claim that their kayak or canoe is seaworthy...check it out!I have been in to surf fishing out of a 1941 OLD TOWN(re-built) canoe for the past 30 years...wear that PFD! Any questions E-me @ rclem86@aol.com .Yeah ...the Stripers are 300 yards out!

[This message has been edited by olmanc (edited 08-14-2000).]

[This message has been edited by olmanc (edited 08-14-2000).]

Thanks for the warning. Alaska must have been great done the way you did it.

You can't roll an SOT (Sit on Top kayak)its essentially a surf board that you sit on. Should you take on a wave it drains very quickly. It doesn't hold much water. SOTs are very popular for fishing.

The other night was so calm that it was the first time that I wasn't wearing my PFD. Every other time I have. As soon as things warm up I'm going to practice beach launches and landings. I'm at an age where I try not to do dumb things. If I feel that something is unsafe caution now wins out.

Tidewater, It turns great.....just stick the paddle in the water and let the 46lbs of thrust rip it around.... smile.gif

Seriously, I have no point of comparison on this craft as it is the only "yak" I have ever owned. All I can say is "it turns".

I use it to get from point "A" to point "B" where generally I get off it and wade the area I am fishing. Point "B" would be unaccessable otherwise... wink.gif

When I selected this craft I purchased it for its stability and its fishability. I can (and do) load this baby up with fly rods, gear, alternative power, electronics, etc... and still fit it into the back of my pick-up. I can stand and cast, test my footing before I commit, and take on some nasty water with confidence. In short it is all I demanded of a personal watercraft.

I live in Newark, DE. not far from the area you spoke of.

Tightlines~~~~~

BobPop....If you are reading this you ought to see this Yak with 2 two handers in the holders.....looks like outriggers.. wink.gif

JimDE,

Thanks for the input. I saw several NJ dealers listed on the web site. This is becoming a strong consideration.

My Mom lives in Arbour Park right off 896. We should hook up the next time I'm down even if it's just to say hi. Email me at twf@tidewaterflies.com. I might not be down there untill Thanksgiving.

TWF

Tidewater, I ordered mine direct from Kiwi. E-Mail them and get a price w/shipping. For me it was cheaper than traveling to the nearest dealer and waiting till he had orders for 6 yaks.

Just a thought to save a few bucks.

I have an Ocean Kayak Malibu Two. I was considering a single seat yak until the GF expressed an interest too, so the Malibu was the only logical choice I found at the time. I love it. This past June in Hatteras I found how easy it was to get close to Spanish Mackerel at the point. Ask John M, he was there. He nicknamed the kayak the Ultimate Spanish Buster.

As someone stated before, it's a stable kayak, but not real fast. It doesn't do too bad with one person in it. With two, however, it's a turtle.

The only thing I have done to outfit it for fishing was to add two Scotty Rod holders. Since it's a kayak that can be paddled as both a single and dual person kayak, I needed something that I could have readily at hand from the center "seat," but removeable so it didn't interefere with paddling from the rear seat. I put on two Scotty Model 230's with the optional flush mounts. Some Ocean KayaK pop rivets, some 5200 sealer, and a small piece of plexiglass for the bottom of the mount and they have been leak free. I also have a battery operated light from Scotty that I have to mount on the back for night kayaking...

------------------

John B

mako@bellatlantic.net

Might as well jump in here...

TimS --- great idea to start this board. I'm a long time lurker, and occasional contributer, to the prinary board but will be visiting more often now. Thanks!

I paddle a Necky Dolphin SOT on the waters of the Chesapeake (primarily) and couldn't be happier with it. I, too, made the jump to yak-fishing after spending way too many hours watching the birds working 1/4 mile off shore (NC outer banks) while catching nothing in the surf.

The Dolphin is a great boat for the experienced paddler or the novice that needs a boat to "grow" into. It gives me tremendous range; I've paddled up to 10 miles in a single day of fishing before with only minor day-after aches and pains. Novices tend to characterize it as "tippy" (it has low initial stability) but I've been out in seas to 5' and 25+ knot winds and it feels in it's element. This past weekend I did manage to get myself dumped for the first time, but I was out playing in some 4' breaking waves on an offshore sandbar, working on my surfing technique (I deserved to get dumped). What a rush!

JonS, if it was my post on the yakfishing BBS you took the anchor system ideas from, I hope it's working out well (if not, I won't claim it!). I really should patent my ideas before handing them out smile.gif

BTW, rolling a SOT is quite possible, though my roll is far from bombproof. Thigh straps are a required item and I would recommend learning on a traditional enclosed design first, to reduce the frustration factor. On the other hand, wider, more "stable" boats (and pur surfyaks) will also be more stable when inverted, so I wouldn't waste much time trying to roll a WS Ride or other similar design.

For any newbies looking for boat selection advice, be warned! I, and others, will spew pages of highly opinionated gobledy**** at you if you want (just ask) but the true mantra is as follows: Paddle as many as you possibly can, in the conditions you want to fish, before you buy. I, for one, will offer my boat for test paddle purposes to anyone that wants to visit my home waters.

Porter, waiting for the fall unicorns.

Porter - I didn't exactly copy your design but it was the inspiration and greatly appreciated so you can have the credit. I'll take the credit for this board as it was my suggestion to Tim. Tim momentarily thought it could be part of the boating board and I suggested that it shouldn't. He considered my points valid and the board was up ASAP. Yaks are so much fun. I've just enteed my 4th decade of float tube fishing and a yak is like a float tube on steroids. I won't even consider fishing without taking it along. There are so many places I want to take it.

Porter,

Welcome aboard. biggrin.gif

Jon provided me with a copy of the anchor system which I modified a little, and I have to say it works great, thank you!

Nice to have some experience on the board to throw my questions at, I'm a newbie to the yakin world and so far I love it. I couldn't beleive the mobility that I now have with the yak and the places I've longed to fish, now it's just a couple of strokes away, these things are great. biggrin.gif

I recently picked up a Loon 138 and I have to say, it's very stable and lot's of room for taking all my stuff along to boot. I haven't ventured into the ocean yet, I've got the skirt, but haven't used it yet, any suggestions as far as the surf is concerned?

Thanks for the imput! biggrin.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com