Stella or van staal?

Rate this topic

Pmarggraf17

I use my Stella 5K in the surf 3-5 days a week from March to late October for several seasons dating back to the Stella FA and my current SW without a problem. Since the Saltiga came out I got the 3500H, 4000, and 5000H and I fish hard from November 2010 till now at 7 days a week from March to October in the surf, sand, rain and took it inshore, offshore and even in the delta for large sturgeons and I've yet to have a single issue with sand or any thing you've describe. I wash after every outing and line where it needs and the reel is a smooth as the day I bought them. I'm planning to send them in for their first annual service since I just got a couple of the Torque 5 & 7 to fish while they are back at the factory. There is nothing wrong with using the Saltiga in the surf and the same goes for Stella I've put both thru many years of hard surf fishing and tuna fish without servicing and trouble so please don't believe the hype or the Internet sharpies. I'm going to be putting the torque thru the wringers now but it's not the same because the torque is marketed as a surf and sealed reel. Bottom line Stella and Saltiga are fine for surf fishing if you wash it down as you normally do after each trip.

One thing that is a FACT, using or being seen with a VS DOES NOT elevate your status in any way shape or form , if anything guys with flashy gear usually are covering up their mediocre fishing skills.

Pick up a Penn Z series reel and you'll be good to go for life.

Not everyone who buys a VS or Stella (or ZB / Saltiga for that matter) is concerned about it being a status symbol. I think you are exaggerating the "lookee me" factor a bit. You of all people know that these are tools that have specific purposes. Many fish in darkness and others have no idea if they are using a coke can and string or a $1300 Stella with gold plating and diamond accents. A good fisherman cares nothing about fashionability, they just want something that serves their purpose within a budget that makes sense for them.:airquote: I can make a good argument for the can and string or the new stella depending on what you're going to do and how much you have to spend, I'm sure you could too.

The tool doesn't make the fisherman but a good tool will make it a much more enjoyable experience and in the right hands, improve one's odds in catching. To say that if you "Pick up a Penn Z series reel and you'll be good to go for life", is just another blanket statement that is only true for a minority of anglers. The reason there is 1000 different buying choices is there is that many different variables with budgets and usage. I have a Z series, and can say for me I wouldn't want that for life given my needs and budget... no way.

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."  

~Henry David Thoreau
(member formerly known as MV Bluefish)

Not everyone who buys a VS or Stella (or ZB / Saltiga for that matter) is concerned about it being a status symbol. I think you are exaggerating the "lookee me" factor a bit. You of all people know that these are tools that have specific purposes. Many fish in darkness and others have no idea if they are using a coke can and string or a $1300 Stella with gold plating and diamond accents. A good fisherman cares nothing about fashionability, they just want something that serves their purpose within a budget that makes sense for them.:airquote: I can make a good argument for the can and string or the new stella depending on what you're going to do and how much you have to spend, I'm sure you could too.

The tool doesn't make the fisherman but a good tool will make it a much more enjoyable experience and in the right hands, improve one's odds in catching. To say that if you "Pick up a Penn Z series reel and you'll be good to go for life", is just another blanket statement that is only true for a minority of anglers. The reason there is 1000 different buying choices is there is that many different variables with budgets and usage. I have a Z series, and can say for me I wouldn't want that for life given my needs and budget... no way.

C,mon , you know what i mean with that statement . The OP is around 15 i believe and was asking when he first joined what he needs for basic surf fishing, the VS for everything crew bombarded him with you must spend all your $$ on a VS because no other reel will get the job done argument.

Most newcomers that ask about what reel for starting out get the same response and many think (falsely i might add) that anything less than a VS will instantly brand them as not being serious or one of the guys.

You earn your stripes by being out there and putting your time in, save your hard earned cash and go with something that's reliable (a Penn Z series) and you will have a reel that will last season after season of hard use .

If you think skishing is in order at a later date by all means purchase a sealed reel and enjoy. The fact that he is comparing two reels that are the complete opposite of each other tells me he is not certain what kind of user he is.

I can't battle you on those points, and yes I know what you were sayin'. Cnnashman ball bustin' is just what I do! :D Really, a 15 year old shouldn't be looking past a Saragosa and even that is lofty considering the age and assumed skill level. I started on a Quantum and Sheakspeare that cost me less than $60 respectively. I doubt a VS or Stella would have improved my learning curve much as like you say, time on the water is worth a thousand times more than fancy equipment.

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."  

~Henry David Thoreau
(member formerly known as MV Bluefish)

I can't battle you on those points, and yes I know what you were sayin'. Cnnashman ball bustin' is just what I do! :D Really, a 15 year old shouldn't be looking past a Saragosa and even that is lofty considering the age and assumed skill level. I started on a Quantum and Sheakspeare that cost me less than $60 respectively. I doubt a VS or Stella would have improved my learning curve much as like you say, time on the water is worth a thousand times more than fancy equipment.

Yes , no doubt about it, it was about time you busted my balls, it's been a while. Your point about some needing a VS because of the way they fish i agree with .

It is a game changer for those anglers but no youngster should feel they need to spend their life savings just on one reel to start out with.

I've had a vs150 for a couple of years now and I'm definitely happy with it. This past may, I purchased a Stella 5000sw after it was announced they were being discontinued and replaced by an upgraded, $1000+ version. I just used it for the first time on a FL trip that I just returned from yesterday (I didn't actually plan on saving it for this trip until a couple of weeks ago, when I said 'what the hey,might as well save it at this point...lol). But anyway, I caught some good snook, Spanish as well as a couple of 10 lb jacks...it was not surprising that the drag was sweet - however, what impressed me more was the castability (both distance/smoothness as well as the lack of wind knots....I generally have to reel in my lures while pinching the line between my fingers when using the vs...not so with the Stella. The only down side was that I did experience several premature bail closings. Fortunately I was using lighter lures, which helped prevent break offs

I've had a vs150 for a couple of years now and I'm definitely happy with it. This past may, I purchased a Stella 5000sw after it was announced they were being discontinued and replaced by an upgraded, $1000+ version. I just used it for the first time on a FL trip that I just returned from yesterday (I didn't actually plan on saving it for this trip until a couple of weeks ago, when I said 'what the hey,might as well save it at this point...lol). But anyway, I caught some good snook, Spanish as well as a couple of 10 lb jacks...it was not surprising that the drag was sweet - however, what impressed me more was the castability (both distance/smoothness as well as the lack of wind knots....I generally have to reel in my lures while pinching the line between my fingers when using the vs...not so with the Stella. The only down side was that I did experience several premature bail closings. Fortunately I was using lighter lures, which helped prevent break offs