Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pmarggraf17

Stella or van staal?

Rate this topic

176 posts in this topic

Hello im 15 and have been saving up for a new reel. This is going to be my first really nice reel. I plan on doing some beach fishing i know about the stellas unparrarel Drag and smoothness and van staals "industructuble" features. I will be doin surf fishing. Im going to get the stella 5000sw if i get a stella then i can use it surf an mabye to do some bass fishing( largemouth). I also have to take in consideration i will be saving a little money by buyin the stella as a combo with a custom rod that i found. The van staal with a rod would cost about 1000 and the stella 890. ALOT OF MONEY AHAHHA. Ive been plowing with my dad and saving. So i would like to know what ypu think

Peter

Van Staal for the surf imo. Stella is a beautiful reel but for the ruggedness required in the surf I would invest in a VS and be happy for the next 10-15 years... reel will last a long time if you take care of it. Stella you will probably have to do more TLC and maintenance on.. it has more parts. Go into a shop and play with them both, that is a must before making a big investment like this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by j0k3r View Post

Van Staal for the surf imo. Stella is a beautiful reel but for the ruggedness required in the surf I would invest in a VS and be happy for the next 10-15 years... reel will last a long time if you take care of it. Stella you will probably have to do more TLC and maintenance on.. it has more parts. Go into a shop and play with them both, that is a must before making a big investment like this.

Ditto.  If the surf is where you will be fishing most VS is the safer bet.  Welcome to SOL. 

If you going to be surf fishing, def go with the VS.

I see stella as boat reel. (someone needs to do the SurfcasterJournal sand test with one of these)

What species will you be going after?

Hello im 15 and have been saving up for a new reel. This is going to be my first really nice reel. I plan on doing some beach fishing i know about the stellas unparrarel Drag and smoothness and van staals "industructuble" features. I will be doin surf fishing. Im going to get the stella 5000sw if i get a stella then i can use it surf an mabye to do some bass fishing( largemouth). I also have to take in consideration i will be saving a little money by buyin the stella as a combo with a custom rod that i found. The van staal with a rod would cost about 1000 and the stella 890. ALOT OF MONEY AHAHHA. Ive been plowing with my dad and saving. So i would like to know what ypu think

Peter

I'm going against the grain on this one. You can surf fish with either reel, the only thing the VS is better for is if you will be submerging it a lot of the time, if not the Stella is the far more refined reel. Shimano also has 48 hour turn around time for the Stella's. The Stella is also a better caster and is far smoother over the long haul .

Nobody needs a VS for surf fishing unless your going to be using it the way it was intended to be used, a very large majority don't even get them wet. Now, regarding buying it because it's on a custom rod, it's not a custom rod for you because it wasn't built for you. A custom rod is one built to your exact specs and preferences, one that's already built is not that .

When i used to fish average rods i used a typical Penn reel but i still wasn't happy, but when i picked up a great rod my catch rates instantly improved because i was instantly able to feel the fish because the sensitivity was superior and i was able to cast considerably further and that also improved my catch rate

when the fish were out of range.

A great rod is the one thing that not only has an immediate but also the biggest impact on your fishing success. All you need is an average reel with a good drag and there are plenty of those.

i think a few things have to be looked at. First of all start by saying that i own several VS's. Went the used route and it cost me just hair over 500, from a friend. i skished that thing alot beat the crap out of it and it just kept ticking along. I love the staals, for how i fish, because they hold up. actually getting a couple zee's this winter but I digress. VS's dont cast great, they arent exactly smooth and the drag is just ehhh. In all honesty the stella is a better reel all around if your not gonna dunk the reel or really pound it hard totally regret selling mine. Completely agree with cnnashman there.

Its hard to compare the reels, considering they are very different animals. comparing a design that hasnt changed much in over 20 yrs to a modern super reel of sorts. I think what you really need to think is which reel is best for the way you fish and go from there.

If you have any questions about this feel free to reach out via pm or whatever, I'm only a few years older than you and have a good amount of experience with both the reels you are looking at. oh and we share the same first name :p

i think a few things have to be looked at. First of all start by saying that i own several VS's. Went the used route and it cost me just hair over 500, from a friend. i skished that thing alot beat the crap out of it and it just kept ticking along. I love the staals, for how i fish, because they hold up. actually getting a couple zee's this winter but I digress. VS's dont cast great, they arent exactly smooth and the drag is just ehhh. In all honesty the stella is a better reel all around if your not gonna dunk the reel or really pound it hard totally regret selling mine. Completely agree with cnnashman there.

Its hard to compare the reels, considering they are very different animals. comparing a design that hasnt changed much in over 20 yrs to a modern super reel of sorts. I think what you really need to think is which reel is best for the way you fish and go from there.

If you have any questions about this feel free to reach out via pm or whatever, I'm only a few years older than you and have a good amount of experience with both the reels you are looking at. oh and we share the same first name :p

Excellent advice FinS 32, i agree that you really need to know what your application for the reel is going to be. The problem has been imo that newbies just starting out feel the need to go with a VS because everyone else seems to have one. If they are not getting wet what the he_ _ for?

Start out with a Spinfisher V and a good rod and get your feet wet first. There are so many things that a newbie could spend his money on that will help him more than blowing it all on a rod and reel combo to start out with.

These days the people getting into it obsess on equipment too much, got to have the most expensive this or that before i stand in the surf for the first time.

You should post some of your skishing pics and say this is what a VS is for lol.

I initially bought my VS150 last year simply because I was looking to upgrade my Cabo 40 with a reel that was roughly the same size but had better line capacity (based soley on my annual trips to FL where I caught fish that tested the outer limits of the Cabo 40, but I didn't want to use 'bigger gear' per se)...and the VS150 fit that bill...I went against the Stella because up until their upgrade to the SW series several years back, I felt the line capacities listed were badly exaggerated. However, from what I now understand, the SW series corrected this 'error' and you can probably load just about the same about of line on a Stella 5000 as you can a VS150...but I don't want to advise towards one reel or the other because my VS is the first high end spinning reel I've ever bought and there's no doubt it was going to out perform whatever I had used up to that point (not including fly gear, which I have invested in better gear....but is a completely different animal that what we're talking about)...Whether a Stella would even outperform the VS is something I can't answer...But I can tell you that a VS will not leave you missing your old gear, provided you're like me and it's a big upgrade from what you have used in the past

I don't think anyone fishing the surf can keep a reel dry and sand free, therefore my vote is for the VS if you want to go to the top of the line, but i wonder if that is the way to go. The PENN Spinfisher V is a good choice for the beginner, it is not a VS by any means but it should be dry and easier to maintain.

For use in the surf, IMHO go with the VS. Inevitable that you will get sand ain the reel, probably take a few dunkings too. The VS will take all the use and abuse you can possibly throw at it annd keep on working. Good luck. One more thing, it's not the gear that makes the fisherman. A trip to Montauk in the fall will illustrate that

Some of the best surf fisherman i know still use Penn Spinfisher's and one is still faithful to a Daiwa BG. Just do not buy a VS because everybody and their mother has one. Even a Slammer will last a lifetime in the surf and sand and those can be had cheap.

Since your just starting out use the money on all the other stuff you'll need. Me personally , i think the rod is the most important piece of equipment and that's why i always spent the $$ on the rod first for reasons as explained in the last two paragraphs of post # 6.

Spinfisher V is a good way to go.You probably will be heading off to collage in a few years.If you take your fishing gear,maybe you don't want $1000 worth of gear there.Even if you move up later.you will have a nice backup.Good luck and welcome to SOL.

Spinfisher V is a good way to go.You probably will be heading off to collage in a few years.If you take your fishing gear,maybe you don't want $1000 worth of gear there.Even if you move up later.you will have a nice backup.Good luck and welcome to SOL.

The job market isn't what Collage grads expected it to be these days so maybe a VS is in his future. Bottom line is i have not learned my lesson from the WFO thread, no matter the advice they always do the opposite anyway so i say get the VS.