How dangerous is a bluefish mouth?

Rate this topic

reptile

Quote:

Originally Posted by reptile View Post

I've gotton a semi shreded, or at least a raw thumb after lipping 150 or so schoolies over a 3 -4 day period.

What do they(bass) have there anyway? the remnance of what was once teeth, or some sort of bony, grippy thing in their mouth to hold on to fish?

Just like most other bass they have several rows of teeny tiny needle like teeth. The are so short however that the teeth for you and I that their jaws are nothing more than rasp-like. Good for grabbing, hold and swallowing things whole.

Every seen a baitfish tail sitcking out the throat of a bass? lol.

Sweetwater, I cant believe You said that, There has been a northeaster blowing for the last 3 weekends here and we don't have much to talk about. This thread has been great and very informative, Its like wrestling when You see a 300 lb guy jump from the top rope and land on the guys throat you know its not quite real but it is very entertaining. We all know blues Will bite and hard, so lets enjoy a great thread.

On with the tread, I once saw a guy who knew a guy who heard of a guy who was related to a guy who had two fingers on opposite hands bitten off at the same tine by a blue. Cocoa ken

Quote:

Originally Posted by cocoaken View Post

Sweetwater, I cant believe You said that, There has been a northeaster blowing for the last 3 weekends here and we don't have much to talk about. This thread has been great and very informative, Its like wrestling when You see a 300 lb guy jump from the top rope and land on the guys throat you know its not quite real but it is very entertaining. We all know blues Will bite and hard, so lets enjoy a great thread.

On with the tread, I once saw a guy who knew a guy who heard of a guy who was related to a guy who had two fingers on opposite hands bitten off at the same tine by a blue. Cocoa ken

Was he someone else's former roomate? I think I heard of him.

Actually over 40 thousand members i believe . Now there's a reason why you have not been hearing from people who have had fingers bitten off, it's obviously because having no fingers means you can't use the keyboard to post that you have had your fingers bitten off.

Ya see very very simple explanation :dismay::rolleyes::th::th:

Of course, what the hell was I thinking?

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

I thought i was the only guy who heard about that guy who was related to a guy who was a childhood friend but lost the guys # and reconnected via Facebook years later and had an affair with the first guys wife who wasn't aware that the third guy was married and told the initial guy and now that guys on a murderous rampage looking for the guy who slept............

Of course, what the hell was I thinking?

It's an oversight, it happens.

Dangerous, yes they are dangerous! My scariest bluefish moment came a few years back on my boat. I always set people up on my boat with a popper with a single siwash tail hook when targeting bluefish. One of my friends had gotten cut off, and pulled a big old popper out of his bag that had 3 big trebles. I tried to talk him out of using it but he persisted and tied it on.

So, he caught a bluefish that had to be close to 10 pounds and swung it on board. The bluefish bounced off of the center console and off of my leg and one of the trebles caught in the leg of my shorts. The bluefish was going crazy thrashing, snapping and slapping against my leg and I could feel the plug hitting me. I came out of those shorts in record time and stood there buck naked and watched the bluefish skitter across the deck shaking my shorts like a dog with a rag......

After I dealt with the blue and retrieved my shorts, I cut his plug off and tied on a single hooked popper. He had the good grace to hang his head in shame.....

Dangerous, yes they are dangerous! My scariest bluefish moment came a few years back on my boat. I always set people up on my boat with a popper with a single siwash tail hook when targeting bluefish. One of my friends had gotten cut off, and pulled a big old popper out of his bag that had 3 big trebles. I tried to talk him out of using it but he persisted and tied it on.

So, he caught a bluefish that had to be close to 10 pounds and swung it on board. The bluefish bounced off of the center console and off of my leg and one of the trebles caught in the leg of my shorts. The bluefish was going crazy thrashing, snapping and slapping against my leg and I could feel the plug hitting me. I came out of those shorts in record time and stood there buck naked and watched the bluefish skitter across the deck shaking my shorts like a dog with a rag......

After I dealt with the blue and retrieved my shorts, I cut his plug off and tied on a single hooked popper. He had the good grace to hang his head in shame.....

Man, no underwear, what the F, you got to have protection wear a cup or something, that blues teeth could of severed your package.

Unfortunately I don't have pics, but two fish stories. When my grandpa was a lot younger he was reeling in a large blue shore while offshore. A group of small sharks (brown I think, I don't remember what kind) ended up ripping the fish apart so that only the head was left. My grandpa assumed it safe to stick his fingers iinto the 'dread' fish's mouth and got bit pretty bad. My grandma remembers him being grumpy about having to cut the trip short. Of course she was the one who drove him to the hospital for stitches. Another story happened a long time ago when I was just a toddler. I don't remember it but my grandma said that a kid was swimming in the ocean before the guard station was set up for the summer and found himself caught in a school of feeding blues. The kids leg got really cut up and they had to rush him to the hospital. One last one for good luck: about five or so years ago I was swimming the really murky waters of south Carolina and a group of very small snappers bit me repeatedly. It was funny because I would have never imagined 6 inch fish biting me. When I got into shore I noticed a couple of them broke skin, but hardly.

I have said it many many times, possibly even in this thread................

"Almost every bad thing I've ever seen happen while fishing has had a bluefish involved"

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

a long time ago when I was just a toddler.
Those are some nice stories young man, but just so you know, "a long time ago" is when I was a toddler". :)
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

A lot of fish will attack when caught. One time I caught a  whiting on about a 4' finger mullet and a 4/0 circle hook.   The whiting was slightly over a foot long.  I went to take the hook from its mouth and it snapped at my right index finger and clamped down. I had to pull my finger out of its mouth. After that, I hit it in the head with my shovel and threw it on ice, and took it home and ate it with some other whiting I had filleted in the fridge. 

A couple of times I was bit by a bass when taking a hook out, but their jaws were not strong and their teeth are too tiny to even leave a mark. The bass mouth is made to gulp prey down.  They have a gulp, or grab and gulp strategy. Their bite is hardly even memorable.

Maybe all fish would fight to the death , but blue fish just get a bad wrap because they have teeth and jaws for ripping things apart, and that makes their bite memorable. 

while surfing a few weeks ago from a guy i know this happened in seaside park  10 stitches and partially severed pinky bone 

said there was a blitz goin on...bluefish bit and held and thrashed around for 5 seconds before letting go, probly a 5-7lb blue

warning graphic