reptile

How dangerous is a bluefish mouth?

Rate this topic

830 posts in this topic

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotmcpherson View Post

I am with you. I don't understand the blue haters either. I love bluefish, catching and eating....I have VERY fond memories of fishing in Cape Cod with my dad and cousins, catching blues and stacking them like logs in the back of our truck.

They are one of my favorite fish....

Bluefishing on the cape sure is magical.  I'll take 2 or 5 for the table and freezer myself:)  And not those wussy 2lbers with all light flesh.  Give me 7+lbers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reed422 View Post

Bluefishing on the cape sure is magical.  I'll take 2 or 5 for the table and freezer myself:)  And not those wussy 2lbers with all light flesh.  Give me 7+lbers!

Well I don't mind cocktails and snappers, I love them too....but I have eated my share of 10-12 lbers....not in a long time, but when I was a kid we used to eat them ALL THE TIME.

So far this year since I returned to the east coast from the midwest we've only had sub 5 lbers to bring home, but that's ok with me...I catch fish for the fun and to eat, they don't have to be trophy fish for me to have fun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by reptile View Post

So you have no problem with hooking your cousin in the mouth? biggrin.gif

You don't think every predator alive doesn't eat it's cousin?

Some of them even eat their brothers and sisters, or kids.

Don't think I am anthropomorphizing a bluefish by saying we are related.

Well I don't mind cocktails and snappers, I love them too....but I have eated my share of 10-12 lbers....not in a long time, but when I was a kid we used to eat them ALL THE TIME.

So far this year since I returned to the east coast from the midwest we've only had sub 5 lbers to bring home, but that's ok with me...I catch fish for the fun and to eat, they don't have to be trophy fish for me to have fun.

I would much prefer cocktails to gators if i planned on eating them. You should see how berserk the locals go for Spot down here, it's unbelievable. They will kill for that fish.

Actually, I am of a mind that says we are all one big happy family, and I am not being funny or cute. I am quite serious.

You don't think every predator alive doesn't eat it's cousin?

Some of them even eat their brothers and sisters, or kids.

Don't think I am anthropomorphizing a bluefish by saying we are related.

No, infact I was under the impression you were taking more of the bluefish form. by eating your own family.

;)

I would much prefer cocktails to gators if i planned on eating them. You should see how berserk the locals go for Spot down here, it's unbelievable. They will kill for that fish.

what are Gators? are those the big boys?

Like the smaller 3lb or so bluefish I catch in the Florida panhandle but have not tried the bigger ones caught in the northeast.Freeze quite a few fish to bring home but have never froze a bluefish as the popular opinion is that don't freeze well but will try a few on my next trip

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyjake View Post

Like the smaller 3lb or so bluefish I catch in the Florida panhandle but have not tried the bigger ones caught in the northeast.Freeze quite a few fish to bring home but have never froze a bluefish as the popular opinion is that don't freeze well but will try a few on my next trip

nah, that's BS, bluefish freeze just fine and you'll never know the difference unless it gets freezer burn (freezer smell)....the worst fish to freeze is a catfish.....yuck!

Alright.13 pages and 40,000 members and we do not have a single case of someone actually missing a finger, only anecdotal evidence. The one bite shown is of a foot and the bones have not been broken. While I am confident that there have been a few fingers taken off, my guess is that they all occurred when the teeth caught a joint, not because the bone was sheared.

While the pictures of fish cut in half are impressive, a fish's spine is segmented, and the bites presented did not cut through bone- they just caught the space between the bones.

As a kid I would lip snapper blues all afternoon and did not come home bloody from the experience. My mother would have made me stop if I had come home with shredded thumbs on a regular basis- actually, I would have stopped on my own if my thumbs were shredded just once. I treated larger blues with more respect.

As a kid I would lip snapper blues all afternoon and did not come home bloody from the experience. My mother would have made me stop if I had come home with shredded thumbs on a regular basis- actually, I would have stopped on my own if my thumbs were shredded just once. I treated larger blues with more respect.

I've gotton a semi shreded, or at least a raw thumb after lipping 150 or so schoolies over a 3 -4 day period.

What do they(bass) have there anyway? the remnance of what was once teeth, or some sort of bony, grippy thing in their mouth to hold on to fish?

Alright.13 pages and 40,000 members and we do not have a single case of someone actually missing a finger, only anecdotal evidence. The one bite shown is of a foot and the bones have not been broken. While I am confident that there have been a few fingers taken off, my guess is that they all occurred when the teeth caught a joint, not because the bone was sheared.

While the pictures of fish cut in half are impressive, a fish's spine is segmented, and the bites presented did not cut through bone- they just caught the space between the bones.

Actually over 40 thousand members i believe . Now there's a reason why you have not been hearing from people who have had fingers bitten off, it's obviously because having no fingers means you can't use the keyboard to post that you have had your fingers bitten off.

Ya see very very simple explanation :dismay::rolleyes::th::th: