reptile

How dangerous is a bluefish mouth?

Rate this topic

830 posts in this topic

Im not sure this been mentioned already. Just when you think these critters are dead and you go to pull the hook out (hopefully with pliers).... SNAP!!!

It's nearly as foolish as thinking a shark is dead or a poisonous snake is dead, many have made that mistake before. Your friend says, nothing to worry about it's dead you can safely put your fingers in it's mouth now,

nahh that's alright , i'm gonna hold off on that right now, didn't care for that plug anyway.

Put your hand in one of those animal foot traps and I think you'll be pretty close to knowing your answer........ Just think, some caveman had to burn off his hand so all the others knew not to touch the flames...lol

John

Put your hand in one of those animal foot traps and I think you'll be pretty close to knowing your answer........ Just think, some caveman had to burn off his hand so all the others knew not to touch the flames...lol

John

I started busting out laughing. In 2012 there is still a need to put "not for human consumption" on Gulp, Fishbites, ammonia, shoe polish etc...:dismay::dismay:

Had a big blue cut in half a 18 inch bass. Hate to say how many rigged eels I've had cut in half as well. So moral of the story here is do not play with blue fish if you want to still play the piano.

Had more than one BIG blue try to take a chunk out of my leg as I was carrying them back by the tail to the water to release them....they are crazy fish! :shock:

If I'm going to keep one (or any other fish) I try to kill it quickly. With a Bluefish or a Shark I'll gut them out right away before icing them down. I've had more than one of them blue-devils (sans entrails) clamp down on something while flipping around...evil bastards.

The Blue fish want to bite you they look at your hand when you tahe the hook out. Once I saw a guy put his thumb in a blues mouth to gey the hook and it zaped him like 3 or 4 times.

I don't know if it was mentioned, but the other danger they pose. if you get a blue on a plug with 2 or 3 treble hooks, or even 1 for that matter. When they go into thrash mode there's a chance you can get injured by your own plug.

There has got to be someone out there who ended up getting hooked onto a psychotic blue.

Back in the 70's Long Island Sound produced some very large Gator Blues. I painted a 26 lb. skin mount that hangs above the bar in the Norwalk Boat Club. Haven't seen Blues that big since.

BTW, the picture of the Striper I posted was well over 12 inches were it was cut in two.

I don't know if it was mentioned, but the other danger they pose. if you get a blue on a plug with 2 or 3 treble hooks, or even 1 for that matter. When they go into thrash mode there's a chance you can get injured by your own plug.

There has got to be someone out there who ended up getting hooked onto a psychotic blue.

That was one of the major reasons I invested in a boga grip....I would never intentionally fish for bluefish with a plug with that many trebles...always something with a single hook (or sometimes a hopkins with only one treble hook) is all I'd use...but I do throw bombers for stripers at night and can't avoid the occasional blue (and the stripers themselves can get a bit thrashy as well, which would lead to the same end result if not careful)

I always use pliers to unhook blues, and my buddy showed up with a Boca one day. I tried it on a blue that was about 8 pounds, and the blue kept snapping his jaws shut on the Boca Jaws. The shock of those spastic bites went right up my arm. I hate to think of that shock traveling up my arm bones.

When I used to plug the jetties at night 80% of the time I used a bomber long-a. I did not catch as many blues plugging at night out front as one would think, but when it did happen it was usually a circus trying to remove the fish. There was nothing worse then a big bluefish grabbing a hold of that plug and getting a mouth full of trebles. The plugs were relatively small so the blues would sometimes engulf the bottom half. I shudder thinking about standing on the jetty tips trying to remove bombers from their jaws. I can remember one evening I was attempting to remove a plug from a ten pounder. As usual the bottom two sets of trebles were in the blues mouth. I had to scramble from an incoming wave and I dropped the fish imbedding the front treble into my hand. The next twenty minutes were interesting to say the least. :shock: After that night I always removed the middle set of trebles from all my bombers. Not sure if they can bite off a finger, but they are tough fish.