Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chazzbo77

Can anyone recommend a good pair of warm fishing gloves?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Hi all, I just got back from the beach. It is freaking cold out there. I had to leave because I couldn't feel my hands.

When I got to the beach, I found that it was extremely windy and cold. My core was warm but my hands felt like they were going to fall off. Can anyone recommend a good pair of warm, waterproof fishing gloves? Besides being warm and waterproof, it would be nice if they weren't extremely thick.

My hands were wet earlier and I only lasted about a half hour out there. To make matters worse there were rough seas with lots of seaweed. Overall just not a good day for me.

But anyway, back to the topic, does anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks, all!

Glacier gloves, or other neoprene gloves. Some have slits so that you can poke your finger and thumb out to tie knots, etc..

In really cold situations, I wear latex gloves or polypropylene liners first, then neo.

You can be creative and get neoprene kayaking gloves or diving gloves too. I wrap some hockey tape around my casting finger n the glove to prevent damage from dyne a or spectra line.

Neoprene gloves work well but your casting finger tip will not last long with braid . I also use heavy fleece fingerless gloves , they work pretty well if you keep them dry .

Buyer beware, I've tried them all including Glacier Gloves, not the newest version, however, my experience with neoprene gloves has shown me they are ok until the weather gets below freezing, then they are useless. Anyway, I've found a pair of fingerless gloves work best, mine are made by Kenai, around a $20 bill. If it gets really cold, I'll slip a pair of medium size (which are small) Army wool insert gloves on and even cover them with the fingerless, they work great until they get wet, ya' gotta be careful and have a few pair on the ready, cheap, around $3 a pair.

i use hot hands hand warmers , a few seconds in the pocket every 10 casts or so and your good

i agree with knot. i've always found gloves to be to cumbersome while fishing, even if they were designed for fishing. i'd use hand warmers to warm my hands every once in awhile, as well as my breathe

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fi**** 2 View Post

I second the neoprene gloves, I just bought a pair from TD on sale for $10 usually $40 - great deal.

Stopped by TD this past weekend and saw the same deal. If you're not planning on getting your hands soaked, they also had fleece gloves with neoprene palm and slits on index/thumb fingers on sale for $13, originally 40.

Buyer beware, I've tried them all including Glacier Gloves, not the newest version, however, my experience with neoprene gloves has shown me they are ok until the weather gets below freezing, then they are useless. Anyway, I've found a pair of fingerless gloves work best, mine are made by Kenai, around a $20 bill. If it gets really cold, I'll slip a pair of medium size (which are small) Army wool insert gloves on and even cover them with the fingerless, they work great until they get wet, ya' gotta be careful and have a few pair on the ready, cheap, around $3 a pair.

Agreed, I found glacier gloves useless. I found my hands were actually colder using them. I keep thinking they will work, so I bring them on a variety of different trips, codding, togging and the beach, and without fail they are off in the first ten minutes. Also, the index finger tip can be flipped back for casting, but truthfully that is annoying because it is constantly be caught on the braid. I use a pair of Kenai fingerless/wind proof gloves as my standards for over 10 years. They can take a spray and my hand are warm on most days, and tolerable on really cold days, which is all that can be asked. For bottom fishing on super cold days with messy clams and crabs just buy a pair of insulated Atlas. Yea, there big and bulky, but hooking a slob clam and cranking a big reel ain't ballet.

i agree with knot. i've always found gloves to be to cumbersome while fishing, even if they were designed for fishing. i'd use hand warmers to warm my hands every once in awhile, as well as my breathe

Agreed, for killer cold days on the boat, I actually bought one of those hand mufflers quarterbacks use and stuff it with handwarmers and wear it under my Grundens so not to look like an idiot, only fat ( besides all good fishermen are fat anyway). Every so often when my hands 'cants take no more',I stuff it in the warm muffler and I am ready to throw a Hail Mary for another 15 minutes.