Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishhappy

When Should I use Pyramid Sinkers, Flat Sinkers, Bank Sinkers, or Sputniks

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

"]I mainly use bank sinkers[/b] when I want to hold bottom in surf and the bottom doesn't have anything that I'm likely to snag on.  If the bottom is snaggy, I use a sinker with rounded sides to reduce the risk of getting caught up.  

Sounds like you use a bank sinker for everything. I have not had success holding bottom with banks as you have though.

Someone mentioned that a 4-sided pyramid sinker tends to 'roll' more easily than a 3-sided sinker.

I use this 'feature' to some advantage because I fish for Pompano on the Gulf Coast.

One thing that attracts a Pompano(and other fish) is the 'Magic Puff of Sand' which emulates some kind of creature trying to escape by burrowing in the sand. A 4-sided pyramid sinker does this. Use a sinker that just holds bottom.

I also paint all of my sinkers bright orange; either with powder paint or a good epoxy paint. This extra step does, (IMHO) help to attract fish. JMHO C2

I use pyramids mostly and rig up an egg on a Carolina when fishing from flounder. However, I've known a few people who live by the disc weight on a single bottom rig when flounder fishing. They say it makes it much easier to slide and kicks up a wider sand trail, which attracts more flounder.

pyramid holds in sand:

• "... and 4 sides supposedly holds better than 3."
  • "... IMO 3 sided pyramids hold better."

:huh:   Can't prove which by me, but I would think the 3 sided might gather more sand (up the sides) which would help the sinker to hold.  However, this shouldn't matter, if one has the option of going heaver.

I have tested the 3 sided pyramid sinker compare to a 4 sided one. The results was that the 3 sided model rolled much less, than the 4 sided pyramid.

You can take the 2 models on the beach sand and just roll them like "bowls" . The 3 sided one, will stop much sooner, than the 4 sided model

Sounds logical; I assume people believe in 4s for the same reason I did, because tradition is hard to buck. Thinking about it for any reasons 3 would be better, a 3-sided of the same top size and weight will be just a tad longer and more pointed than the 4 of the same weight. I suspect the sloped side (versus a right-angle 4's walls) to deflect current also has a lot to do with it -- for the same reason that hurricaine's are longer, rounded and skinny, but with corners at the top.

pyramid holds in sand:

• "... and 4 sides supposedly holds better than 3."
  • "... IMO 3 sided pyramids hold better."

:huh:   Can't prove which by me, but I would think the 3 sided might gather more sand (up the sides) which would help the sinker to hold.  However, this shouldn't matter, if one has the option of going heaver.

I have tested the 3 sided pyramid sinker compare to a 4 sided one. The results was that the 3 sided model rolled much less, than the 4 sided pyramid.

You can take the 2 models on the beach sand and just roll them like "bowls" . The 3 sided one, will stop much sooner, than the 4 sided model

Sounds logical; I assume people believe in 4s for the same reason I did, because tradition is hard to buck. Thinking about it for any reasons 3 would be better, a 3-sided of the same top size and weight will be just a tad longer and more pointed than the 4 of the same weight. I suspect the sloped side (versus a right-angle 4's walls) to deflect current also has a lot to do with it -- for the same reason that hurricaine's are longer, rounded and skinny, but with corners at the top.

If your goal is to keep the bait still that is, a pyramid is a decent choice. I like to change a sinkers weight and style depending on what i'm fishing for and the layout of the beach. Depending on current and how much ground i want to cover i may pick an egg sinker instead of a bank to cover more ground. If i want to slowly move the bait along i'll go with a slightly heavier egg and if i want it to cover ground at a faster pace i'll go with a lighter weight sinker.

Sinker types and how much they weigh can be used to great effect on different bottom terrains depending on current. In my fishing, the rods always in my hand and i decide how and where to move what i'm offering but the sinker type does help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie2 View Post

I already had some sputniks that I made with wire arms so just pulled the wire out and put the weedeater cord in the holes. I put some epoxy in the holes just to be sure.

Rather cold here this morning with this front coming through so the actual combat test will be delayed. I tried them in the soft sand of the backyard and they hold surprising well. They show to be a winner.

BTW; I paint all of my sinkers with florescent orange paint. It seems to help. I wonder what, if any, affect will the orange weedeater cord have on fishing? Just curious!

Thanks for the ideas. C2

Hey C2, have you live fired with them yet?

All I use in the surf are pyramids. I cast my own, from old wheel weights. Makes it cheaper to replace them where I fish, as the rocks seem to find a way of claiming them....The molds are cheap enough if you fish enough where you lose sinkers. I usually find that the mold needs a little extra heat than a lead pot, so I use a torch to boost the heat as I'm pouring them. A propane torch works just fine 1000

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesbion View Post

All I use in the surf are pyramids. I cast my own, from old wheel weights. Makes it cheaper to replace them where I fish, as the rocks seem to find a way of claiming them....The molds are cheap enough if you fish enough where you lose sinkers. I usually find that the mold needs a little extra heat than a lead pot, so I use a torch to boost the heat as I'm pouring them. A propane torch works just fine 1000

I always had fun working with metals. What do you use for the eyelet, is it stainless steel? Do you have a picture of one before it is cast into the lead sinkr?

The eyelet is lead. Just cast as part of the mould.....you usually have to open them with a fid or pointed instrument of some kind. Saves the need for fitting and buying wire.

I got invited to this party a little late but here is what i use on the beach for long range and to drift in order to cover a lot of ground.

that is a 5oz beach bomb and it will fly and with its roundish shape it'll roll along the beach at a fairly slow pace.