Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishhappy

When Should I use Pyramid Sinkers, Flat Sinkers, Bank Sinkers, or Sputniks

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

I have recieved lots of different advice on what sinkers I should be using for surf and jetty  fishing. Does anyone have a breakdown as to when you should be using these different types of sinkers.

If I want it to stay in place, I will use a pyramid or sputnik.

If I want for it to move(slide) I will use an egg or something similar.

I fish the sand beaches on the Gulf Coast. JMHO C2

Starting at far left and going clockwise:

frogtongue (holds well in sand),

egg (line goes through for fish-finder rig but rolls),

river sinker (line-through but flat),

bank sinker (traditional style,rolls a bit)

another bank style,

flat bank (works like a bank, but flat to counter roll),

disk sinker (the coin sinker has no raised edge and may have the brass loop or a hole through),

four-sided pyramid (holds in sand, and 4 sides supposedly holds better than 3)

round trolling sinker (some trolling have swivels like this one, some don't)

torpedo trolling sinker (amount of taper varies by region),

trolling sinker,

satellite or sputnik sinker (the wires of some like this one will flip back at the little green plastic catches, making release easier; if the wires are set in, they can be hard to pull free when buried).

These are just a fraction of the styles out there, but there are a couple of things that people believe that I cannot comment on: 1) brass-eyes supposedly have less chance of line abrasion. 2) Line-through sinkers have less abrasion but still more than brass. 3) the supposed order of holding power for a given weight is sputnik, hurricaine or storm (or something like them, see below**); pyramid with screws*, pyramid [the last good holding sinker --insert giant drop in holding power below this], flat bank or other flat sinkers, rounded sinkers of all kinds. 4) However, if the question is snag resistance in rocks, essentially you can reverse the holding power order listed above.

*In the DelMarVa forum, Rumblefish AKA poppy http://www.stripersonline.com/t/417617/sinkerssuggests putting a couple of screws into a pyramid sinker at right angles to the cap to increase holding power.

** An example of the hatteras/storm sinker style

I will add that if you don't want the sinker to roll but do want to slowly drag the bait rig across the bottom or current is ripping, a coin or disk sinker rolls less and line twists less than a bank. A FLAT bank sinker is also good, but harder to get in some places.

Pyramid,Hatteras, sputnik for the surf, Bank sinkers for drifting, wreck fishing for sea bass & porgies or if you are codfishing on open bottom a bank sinker cast uptide will slowly roll down tide on the bottom. Sometimes makes a difference. Flat sinkers called diamonds or slabs depending on where you go are for wreck fishing where you don't want a sinker to roll or move, like blackfishing or codfishing. Dipsey, the kind with the brass wire loop thru them I use for winter flounder and the 2 oz size for drifting eels from a boat. Egg sinkers are good for deep bluefishing, just run your mainline thruough the egg, tie on a barrel swivel then 3 feet of mono and your wired hook. Works deadly on big fall bluefish over wrecks. Trolling drails can be used instead of eggs. Coins I never had a use for. Anyone who thinks different sinkers don't matter hasn't fished all that much.

One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight. Sclemeel, schlemazel, hasenfeffer incorporated. We're gonna do it!

I'm a lure fisherman

Location - Presentation - Conditions

South shore, the pounding Atlantic surf. Rigging, Fishfinder rig with A storm sinker on the snap from

the slide and used when dealing with A strong head wind.

South shore, the pounding Atlantic surf. Pulley rig with sputnik sinker and dealing with A strong sweep.

ESTUARY, channels and bays, dealing with current, 3 way swivel rig with snap, The flat sinker goes on the snap.

A bank sinker is when your dealing with lake conditions.

pyramid holds in sand:

• "... and 4 sides supposedly holds better than 3."

• "... IMO 3 sided pyramids hold better."

headscratch.gif  Can't prove which by me, but I would think the 3 sided might gather more sand (up the sides) which would help the sinker to hold.  However, this shouldn't matter, if one has the option of going heaver.