Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
goblue

Newell replacement - Avet SX?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

My normal reel is a Newell P220F w/ a 10' surf rod.

I usually have 3 or 4 oz plus bait on.. 20# line...(surf).

Could anyone comment on if I were to purchase an Avet - should I go w/the SX vs. MX (was thinking I was going to go w/ the SX.).

I love my Newells but need an alternative for the future...

thanks.

i'm aware of the differences and opinions on star vs. lever (i actually prefer lever)..

my main interest in feedback is anyone who could comment on specific feedback on experience w/newell reels (surf use) and if u think an avet would be a likeable replacement.

i love my newells (i fish w/p220f and 229f surf) and was just wondering if anyone could let me know if they had recommendations given i like that.

many threads on star vs. lever and prefer not to turn this thread into that debate.

thanks again.

Thanks ! I will definetly look into the Saltisa.

I should have added that I'm looking for something that comes w/a mag option (that really works).

I mag my Newells no problem myself but was hoping that I could find something that I could get same results without having to do it on my side.

Getting old I guess.

Just looked at Daiwai / Saltista website... appreciate the feeback on that. Always has seemed like a lot of good feedback on the Saltista.

Thanks again!!!

I would go with the Saltists,either the 20H or 30H.You can usually pick one up on here in silver which is the older version or the newer version which is black and gold. I found no difference in casting distance between either one.I spool them with either 20lb.mono or 65lb braid.No neeed to magging or tweaking.There ready to go right out of the box!

If you are going to go the star drag route, I'd check out the Penn Fathom. Parts are available for if and when it breaks. I like it better than I did my Saltist.

Penn Squall or 525mag sounds like a good replacement to the Newell. Graphite bodied, mag cast control, same size, and more drag! If you're a fan of graphite spools then a Daiwa Slosh would fit the bill although the cast control is a centrifugal type.

i've never owned a newell but have used a bud's. i have had numerous avets. personally, i think the avet (sx or mx) is a better reel in terms of build. new avets are not the best casters and should have their spools and bearings pulled, degreased, oiled with something like tsi301 or rocket fuel or 3-in-1 or whatever flavor you prefer. i like the avet "mc" versions and the mag control is almost mandatory if you do the bearing thing i just mentioned. HOWEVER, having said all of this, not everyone likes a lever drag ....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree about the Penn Fathom. I would take this over the Daiwa

or the Newell any day. This is my new favorite casting machine!

Really high build quality. Go with a 12 or 15 and you will never

look back.

TimS is greatly impressed with his Fathoms, which greatly impresses me.

Avets are made to fine tolerances, fine enough that I doubt they're as tolerant of sand intrusion as a surfcaster needs. Ditto Accurate.