Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimS

NJ's Bonus Fish Tag - poll

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Trying to get an idea how the NJ Bonus tag program is utilized by folks on this site. Your answers are completely anonymous, please be honest wink.gif

The point of the poll is to see if the bonus card is being used or is just a crutch to carry in case you should be approached by a warden while you have a fish in your possession that should be tagged.

Question #2, while confusing, is really asking how many fish were kept without the required card - meaning they were your second over 28" fish of the trip - the fish would, by law, require a bonus card to be filled out. How many fish have yah killed without fillout the card when it should have been filled out? Tought question to word redface.gif

TimS

[ 05-19-2003, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: TimS ]

Had the bonus tag fo a couple of years, never kept more than one, or a slot and a 28"+.

Didn't get my bonus tag this year...personally think they taste too fishy. Then again, I'm not entirely fond of weakfish either. upck.gif

Funny, there's no - I have no clue what a Bonus Tag is answer up there. I'm sure there are some people who have no idea what you are talking about.

Then it's very likely those people wouldn't be the ones best suited to take this poll, huh Billy? wink.gifHappyWave.gif

TimS

I've had it for 4yrs running, but never used it. Send in my logs every year, don't know where they get those fish per trip numbers, but they sure as heck ain't coming from my logs....

Whoops, sorry Tim I screwed up your poll cause I didn't see/read question 2 explanation before answering....... subtract one from 1-4 and move it to zero.....new math cwm12.gif

Billy, it would help to know that...but for the purposes of this poll, we would be better suited to know how many registered members of this site living in NJ are unaware of the "bonus" tag program. I'm gonna guess that it's a very low number, perhaps approaching zero smile.gif

The "bonus" fish striper program is just one more piece of the puzzle regarding how come I can kill 3 stripers per day, every day, 365 days per year in NJ - and you in NY can kill 1 per day - with a long closed season. See, cause once a fish leaves NY and swims across some imaginary line into NJ, it suddenly becomes a "bonus" fish - you know, like extra or surplus or something that can be discarded as unimportant. It's really kinda strange...maybe someone finally explained it to the fish and that's why they don't vacation here anymore? wink.gif

TimS

While I'm not a fan of the current Tag system it absolutely can not be used as a crutch in case a warden comes.

Many, Many people have been issued tickets for not having the card properly filled out when the warden approaches. They've been very clear it must be filled out when the fish is caught, not when you get back to the dock.

Not alot of people know about the program or use it, it's mostly a charter boat program these days.

From what I've been told by F&G the uses a 100% margin of error to calculate the amount of fish caught in the program. If 75,000lbs are reported they figure actual number is 150,000.

Had the tag 3 years ago and never used it because I didn't keep the 3rd fish. I was going to get it this year but decided not to. I filled it out and it is still sitting in my briefcase.

From what I've been told by F&G the uses a 100% margin of error to calculate the amount of fish caught in the program. If 75,000lbs are reported they figure actual number is 150,000.

Rrrick, is the number they list on their website (78K #) the before or after number? Cause they list the 2001 total as "the preliminary estimate of the harvest is 4,526 striped bass (78,300 pounds). " Do you know if that was already multiplied by 2 or was the actual number of cards returned?

The reason a lot of guys wouldn't tag (then year later "card") their "bonus" fish was because shops never had replacements. That's apparently much better today, but a couple years ago, if you handed in a tag or card, that meant you couldn't keep a second fish until you were mailed another card/tag. Which is fine unless you were fishing a tournament...which hundreds of guys were doing three nights a week for 13 weeks a season.

TimS

Question #2, while confusing, is really asking how many fish were kept without the required card - meaning they were your second over 28" fish of the trip - the fish would, by law, require a bonus card to be filled out. How many fish have yah killed without fillout the card when it should have been filled out? Tought question to word redface.gif

TimS

In that case, I answered the question wrong.

I've had a card for three or four years and never used one. I've never kept a second fish >28" with or without a card, and kept a total of 5 bass in the last four years.

PS- I only get to fish on weekends and have never had a hundred bass season- (heck- I've never broken 50!)