Where to put fish ?

For those folks who are fishing from a kayak other than a SOT. Like and open cockpit boat like a loon or a dagger. Where do you put the fish after you catch them, or does everyone release them.

I have not started kayak fishing yet, but plan to do some freshwater fishing out of my yak as soon as I buy it.

Thanks,

Nick

I'm a big (fat) guy. 5'4" tall 260 lbs.

Last time I went kayaking, I paddled a couple of loons (a 111, and a 138 and 3 sit on tops. a hobie maui and perception and I don't remember the other name) I felt the SOT that I paddled did not turn very well compared to the loon and as soon as I sat in them I was sitting in a puddle of water with my butt and my legs. Also, maybe because they had no real saet in them, my back was killing me. I know I can add a set to them. I also think that they'll be a bit cold in spring and fall. Yes, I got wet in the loon, but it was mostly because I had no drip rings on the paddles and it was hot and we were having splash fights.

I know the big plus side to SOT kayaks is they are easy to get on and off of.

Fishing is not going to be the primary use for the kayak. It's more for trips on small rivers (north branch of raritan, musconetcong, cedar creek, Spruce Run, Round Valley, Merrill creek) and lakes and some overnight trips. Out of what I've paddled, the 3 SOT,

loon otter, 111, 138, Pungo, Dagger Delta, Kiwi Lobo, Perception caspia, and a keowee. I just felt the 138 was the best all around for me. It's not like I'm just looking at the boats in the store and picking one. Instead of a demo paddling for most of these boats, I am going to renters with friends for an all day paddle and trying different ones during the day.

Thanks,

Nick

I'm just a bit heavier than you, Nick.

I drive a SOT for two reasons.

First, no wave, wake, or capsize can swamp my boat.

Second, I don't know how to roll, and have no wish to die anytime soon.

You might be warmer in the Spring.

But I'm cooler in the Summer!

I'm not a Cobra fan, I don't have faith in the plastic.

My Malibu II is heavy, slow, and unresponsive. It's a great fishing platform.

I can actually take a nap if the fishing gets slow. It's so peaceful on the water!

(I'm getting sleepy!)

Flounder

PS: Almost forgot ...I plugged the rear scuppers, and carry a sponge to get rid of any unwanted water. My ass stays dry!

Try a SOT again, this time WITH a seat!

(You wouldn't be comfortable in a "traditional" kayak without a seat, would you?)

><))))))))))@>
*AMMODYTE*

My buddy Derrick is 315#s and he paddles 2 SOTs. Both are Cobras, a Tourer and a Tandem.

SOTs definately need a seat without them I can imagine the pain.

As to wetness, some kayaks are wet. That's why I like Cobra. You can wear the appropriate gear for cold weather. I wear breathable gear that allows me to be completely dry and have suitable layers underneath for any conditions I wish to fish in.

A buddy of mine recently joined me for a day of freshwater and he brought his Loon 138. I've fished with him a lot, with all the other times being salt and its the first time he didn't bring the SOT. I would reccomend that you try both the Cobra FishnDive and the Malibu 2 before ruling out SOTs.

The 138 hasn't anything on the bottom to help it in strong currents, rips, etc.

Check out a Ocean Kayak Drifter.It is a s.o.t. but it will definatly float you and all your gear very comfortably.

You will have to use scupper plugs to stay dry,but the stability,speed and turning are great.

It has a large tank well,for fish and any other gear you want to cary,and a large hatch it front for storage also.

The yak is stable enough to sit side saddle with your legs in the water,or sit up on top of the seat back to change your seating position while you fish or paddle.

I can even stand up on it,to get my line out of trees or clime up on a dock.

I know moste people on this board swear by Cobra,but I love my O.K Drifter.

Check one out.

Tight lines

Ritch

Hi Ritch, long time no hear from. How is everything?

The Drifter is Ocean Kayaks version of the Cobra FishnDive. The FnD (600# capacity), like the Drifter will handle a big man and tons of gear. I call these models "aircraft carriers". The major difference is the philsophy of the 2 companies. The Drifter has a low sitting position. The FnD is higher and has tons of below deck storage. Both would make an excellent big man yak or in Ritch's case "I can't decide what to bring so I'm bringing everything" biggrin.gif .

Rich1.jpg

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 08-16-2001).]