Hobie Power Skiff

Rate this topic

doyle007

I own an '84 with a rebuilt 85 johnson 60. This boat has the wrap around 'sport console'. The boat is garaged now in New York state, but spent many years in the waters of Barnegate Bay, NJ.

For those who think this model is a little quirky, yes its true. But Ive found operating the boat in most situations you are not fully seated in the cockpit. For a little fun in flat water, this hull design allows you to crank the wheel at full or near full throttle, and responds similar to how a ski boat might. For aggressive situations like this, this console design is very safe and comfortable for two.

I've trusted this boat several times in offshore outings, however, rarely more than a couple miles out. It made a trip from the Manasquan inlet to Cape May and back in a three day trek. On several occasions I was the smallest boat braving ominous tidal inlet swells and commercial vessel chop. I've also run it just off the beach in 6-8 foot breakers, staying just off the break and occasionally having to run out very quickly avoid the white water.

Some of the original literature on these boats shows picutres of the Hobie in the rapids of the Colorado river, and jumping waves as well. I have some small projects to do on this boat, which is in very good shape for its age, and Im hoping to get it back in the water soon, or else finding a new owner for it.

Please respond if interested in chatting about the power skiff or this boat in particular. I hope to get a picture posted very soon.

Enjoy!

I just bought a 91 Hobie Power Skiff (with original Yamaha 70) that was listed in the Asbury Park Press. It is the "Center Cockpit" model which is not that bad. The person I bought it from had two old articles from the origianl owner: Feb 23, 1990 Miami Herald, May 1990 Power & Motoryacht, as well as the original sales lititure. I will see if I can post these articles here.

guys, that's some interesting info. thanks for sharing.

get_er_done, if you can post that sale literature, i'd be most appreciative. it's next to impossible to find any information on them over the web.

CRC-good luck getting your boat on the water.

Sabot, is the name of the magazine Small Boat Journal? I've never heard of it. I'll try and google it to see what i come up with.

My Uncle had a 1987 hobie power skiff, with a 115 horsepower engine on the back of it, this boat was so fast it would only go up to 65 becuase the back of the boat would come out of the water. He sold it, and now i want an exact replicaheart.gif

I just bought a 1989 Hobie Power Skiff. It is a 19'6" with a 150 Force engine. It has two captain's seats that I want to convert to the cooler seat. Has a nice size live well in the back and the back is open to the water with a flip up teak water stopper. I am missing the lid/seat for the storage on the front of the center console so if anyone knows where I can find one, please let me know. I am in Tampa, FL. If anyone wants pics please email me at setsail4mexico@yahoo.com.

• 1 month later...

I know the guy with the green 15' Hobie power skiff, I looked at it myself last year and he just e-mailed me tonight asking me if I'm still interested in it. The price is right, the boat has been completely redone and looks great. I'd sell the original engine and buy a new one.

I would have bought it myself but I opted for a Jones Bros. 1910.

E-mail me for the sellers number and a picture.

Fitz

Just got an 88 Hobie Skiff with the 50 yamaha pro. It is is great shape! I am heading down to our winter home in Mexico with it soon. Any and all info shared will be greatly appreciated.

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Laptop/Desktop/eBay%20Motors%20Boston%20Whaler%20look-alike%20HOBIE%20CAT%20Power%20Skiff%20(item%201500 22643945%20end%20time%20Aug-21-06%20220000%20PDT).htm

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I was cruising thru fleabay today, and I saw a Hobie Power Skiff for sale in Egg Harbor City, NJ (about 20 miles inland from Atlantic City). It looks to be in pretty good condition. I usually just look under the "Inshore Fishing Boats", but I also decided to look under the category of "Power Boats".

I still love that boat, but my wife said that if we're going to get a boat, she wants it to be bigger so that we can take friends on it for sunset cruises. So, I keep my eye out for something in the 18 - 20 foot range. We'll see.

View PostI was cruising thru fleabay today, and I saw a Hobie Power Skiff for sale in Egg Harbor City, NJ (about 20 miles inland from Atlantic City). It looks to be in pretty good condition. I usually just look under the "Inshore Fishing Boats", but I also decided to look under the category of "Power Boats".

I still love that boat, but my wife said that if we're going to get a boat, she wants it to be bigger so that we can take friends on it for sunset cruises. So, I keep my eye out for something in the 18 - 20 foot range. We'll see.

will have to search for it

"They that go down to the sea in ships"