The infamous Jack Crevalle

Rate this topic

Steel Head

I spent 2 days fishing in Florida and all I caught were Jack Crevalle. At first, I was extremely dissapointed but after the second Jack, I started to change my mind. This fish out-fights most other on a pound per pound basis. I caught them on jigs but I hear they are best fished with top-water lures. Do any of you have experience with this technique on this fish? What is the best way to do it?

------------------

So I'm a hard-head...

Fishsignature.gif

I hope my buddy Fish_Face jumps on this thread cause he gets them all the time like it was his job or something!!! I never really saw a Jack in a school that was a fussy eater but that may be just my experience, if they aint hittin on top and you know they are around they might be spooked or line shy. they hit husky jerks pretty well especially when "ripped" back stop and go... now that i come to think of it i dont ever remember getting a JC at nite...hmmm Fish Face ...where you at bub?? i know you aint workin smile.gif

I have fished for the Jacks this fall in Florida with the long rod and tried surface flies. I used a small foam gurgler (color white) and moved it across an inlet to see what happened. I had seen some big Jacks coming in to the inlet so I figured I could experiment a bit. I had never fished with poppers or gurglers and had not much confidence that the fish would be interested in them. The opposite was the truth. I could not believe my eyes when the big Jacks would swim all the way to the surface to try to nail the fly. I only managed to hook one this way, I guess I was just to excited to set the hook instantly. Next time I will try poppers and gurglers when I encounter them in large numbers.

The Jacks I encountered this fall where quit large and gave me a good workout on the fly rod. They sure a stubborn and won't quit easily.

Below is a picture of one fish I fought for some time when it nailed my while fished with a fast sinking line in the inlet

Jack_Crevalle_02.jpg

I grew up fishing in FL and jacks are extremely aggressive. My favorite surface lure is a red and white Zara Spook filled with BB's (for distance) and buzzed quickly across the surface. They absolutely blow the doors off of them. I usually just left the last set of trebles on the lure as the others are more trouble than they're worth. Besides, half the fun is watching them blast the plug out of the water. Just about any surface plug will work, but something streamlined is more favorable than a chugger which can't be worked as quickly. When they are not coming to the surface, a blue or green backed 77M Mirrolure works pretty good and don't be surprised if a tarpon hits the Mirrolure either.

man I caught a number of them in Fla when I was out red fishing . Man can they make a bad day of fishing fantastic . I wasnt getting many reds ( 4 ) until we drifted into a school of jacks . The guide I had appologized for not getting many reds . I let him know that I had more fun with them sideways digging jacks . What a fish for its size !

I've never, ever seen anything like this. I was buying bait, man-the name it escapes me, in Tampa last year from a dock B&T. It was right on the water. They were selling moderate to huge size shrimp. The owner said "let me show you this", my kids were with me as well. He hurled, by hand, a large shrimp into the middle of the marina bay. As soon as the shrimp left his hand, you could see a huge wake by the side of the dock and what looked like 6 torpedoes heading for the eventual place where the shrimp would hit the water. I'm telling you the madness that you would see when the shrimp hit the water was amazing!!!

They were "tame" Jacks who stayed near the B&T. Right after the boil, the "torpedoes" could be seen heading back to dockside, IN SECONDS. The owner proceeded to give a little bucket of shrimp to my boys and they had a ball for 30 minutes!!

Long-winded, sorry, but what amazed me was how they could see you throw the shrimp and how they could tell EXACTLY where the shrimp would hit the water. I tested this over and over, throwing as far as I could and in different places. THEY WHERE 100% DEAD ON EVERY TIME and nailing the bait almost BEFORE it hit the water. Amazing...