Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
younger1955

PA Pheasant season

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

The PA pheasant season starts tomorrow and I'm rarin' to go. This is like Christmas and New Year's rolled into one for me. I'll be hitting the fields at dawn with 3 good dogs, 2 Weims and a Vizsla. The birds don't stand a chance. Biggest worry is that I'll limit out too quick before I can run the dogs into the ground.

Anybody else suffer from the upland game disease? Good luck tomorrow if you're going out.

We hunt along the Delaware River and some of the game lands further west. Sadly, no wild birds left in my area to speak of. All stocked birds but it gets us out of the house and they can often be surprisingly wary. Mainly, I just love to watch the dogs work. I'd do catch and release pheasant hunting if there was a way.

I use a Remington 11-87 in 12 gauge as my usual weapon of choice. That third shot comes in handy sometimes. I'll take the LC Smith double out when I feel like going old school. I've got a nice 410 double in the safe, but save that one for the really big game. Hit a pheasant with the 410 and it only leaves you a little pile of feathers. ;)

I stoped going to the game lands 'cause I am tired of being shot at. Sometimes we go to a preserve place that puts out birds.

It happens. I get sprayed a little once in a while, but it rarely hurts and it builds character. It what gives me the courage to venture into the assbaby forum on occasion. Now that place is really dangerous.

NJ starts November 10th and I hope to get out with Digger, cause I like him. And cause he's got the dawgz. :clown:

NJ puts out a ton of birds, like 3 times a week. Very nice for you guys. In PA they doubled the number of birds this year so we'll get 4 in season stockings and 1 before Christmas. I've thought about getting the NJ license, but it's not a very gun friendly state, so I'm afraid of running afoul of some obscure gun law. Not looking to do 3-5 at Rahway cause I don't have some little piece of paper or a trigger lock or some other nonsense.

The potential for stupid in my area is unmeasurable.I have been hit with shot before. It's just not fun any more. It is like combat fishing. Just a big PIA.