Va. seasons

Rate this topic

Stickman

Virginia trophy season opens in the bay May 1 to June 15. Ocean stripers ended last thurs but they all have moved up the bay. LOts of big fish being caught by gill netters & pound netters. Looking forward to fishing R.I. this summer coming up in July

Lots of big fish being caught by gill netters & pound netters.

That's never very good news, especially when I thought there was a 36" commercial limit in the bay?

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

6-10 inch nets catch some real big fish. I guess the marine police are under staff due to all the extra port security concerns. It's a shame cus the ches bay is such a breedind area that it needs more protection exspecially concerning the menhadden fleets

6-10 inch nets catch some real big fish. I guess the marine police are under staff due to all the extra port security concerns. It's a shame cus the ches bay is such a breedind area that it needs more protection exspecially concerning the menhadden fleets

Maybe it's the MD section of the bay that offers the "feel good" 36in max for commercials? I say "feel good" cause the nets still kill fish over 36in...except they must be "released".

Question - what's the point of MD protecting stripers over 36" from commercials if VA allows their harvest? Don't the fish come from the south and mostly travel through VA waters before they get to MD?

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.