killapete3

Live Liner/Bait Runner Feature is it worth it?

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

Bringing this thread back alive with some of what I learned last season live-lining macks a lot for stripers (from boat)...

It sounds like I am about to take a contrarian position here. I have a Penn SSV 4500 LL with the Live-liner feature and an Okuma Coronado with the Baitfeeder feature and used these reels A LOT last season. In short, I did not use the secondary drag feature anywhere close to as often as I thought I would.

To reiterate what someone else above said -- if you are dead-sticking these with the rod(s) in the boat's rod holder(s) and waiting to hear some drag to take action, then I think the LL feature is totally worth it but to reiterate another point previously mentioned, you best be using circle hooks or we're not friends. That fish has a lot of time to swallow your hook if you're not actively monitoring it resulting in gut-hooking. If you want a reel you can spin cast with and also do dead-stick chunking, or let live bait swim around on a leash, then this is where it's handy to have this type of LL reel. 

The only time I found myself using the LL feature on these reels was when I was alone in my boat and wanted multiple rods with baits in the water at a time. Since I got out there very often, I had the luxury of not feeling it necessary to have multiple rods in the water at once to make my chances of hooking up greater. Also, I just enjoyed the sport of just having one rod in. If you are like me and like the single-rod approach where you are actively monitoring your bait (i.e., fishing), you don't need the secondary drag. This is where I would pre-set my spin reel drag to the fighting drag I wanted (& that would also set the circle hook), then flip the bail open and hold the line with my rod-less hand and control the bait with my hand on the bait's "leash". By holding the line with the main drag bail open, I could really feel the action of the mackerel swimming around this way (braided line) and when a striper took the bait, the line would really start to fly out of my hand and thus off the free-spool reel (but not cut my hand). I would let the line peel off the reel and out of my hand while I did my count (I do a ~5 count), and then flip the bail over and let the circle hook set itself. I found this much more enjoyable than dead-sticking a bunch of rods with secondary drags set. Also, this approach provides MUCH less resistance on the bait that the striper will feel (even from secondary drag). I had many fish drop the bait after feeling the secondary drag even in its lowest setting.

Summary: The secondary drag LL feature reels are now on my guest rods -- this makes it easier for newbies. 

Edited by squammer

57 mins ago, the3fishheads said:

Free spool on a spinner.  Where would that be worthwhile?

To allow the fish to take the baitfish without resistance before closing bail to engage drag and set hook.

20 mins ago, the3fishheads said:

Is there a drag setting ?

So I think maybe my inaccurate terminology is throwing you off. Maybe it's not technically "free spool". What I mean to say is that I leave the bail open and allow the fish to take the bait and thus the reel just lets line come off (with bail open) while I count to ~5 seconds and then flip the bail closed to engage the drag and set hook

Edited by squammer

23 mins ago, squammer said:

So I think maybe my inaccurate terminology is throwing you off. Maybe it's not technically "free spool". What I mean to say is that I leave the bail open and allow the fish to take the bait and thus the reel just lets line come off (with bail open) while I count to ~5 seconds and then flip the bail closed to engage the drag and set hook

Wait..theres better ways to do that. They call em bait runners.

My only complaint is I wish the line out on the second drag could have a nice loud clicker, the shimano’s I used had the clicker in the spool but were still quiet. Is there any reason one couldn’t be designed with a line out alarm  clicker? Maybe it could switch off when the  handle  is cranked and the rear drag is tripped off.

45 mins ago, the3fishheads said:

Wait..theres better ways to do that. They call em bait runners.

Just out of curiosity, did you read my entire post?  

Edited by squammer

25 mins ago, the3fishheads said:

Tried. Got board and gave up. But thanks for your input.

Cheers...

My takeaway: Come to the internet, get the internet

First off the baitrunner feature was made for soaking dead and live bait... i agree if you are going to have your setup in your hand then why bother with this feature..and many moon ago when we didnt have the baitrunner setup.... we had all sorts of way of leaving the bail open, but you have to keep your eye on the line or end up with alot of loose line being run all over the place...and as far and leaving your drag super loose then tighten it down while a fish is running off with it, well thats just crazy talk:eek: .... and in the end it all depends on "You"... 90% of the people i put on my setup for... end up loving it before the day over and actually most of them go out and get one..and as far as noise goes if you can't hear that ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ when the reel goes off, then you need to get your hearing check...and also don't forget the beauty of these setup is you don't have to worry about your rod and reel going into the water...I have seen my fair share of that and the face of some of these folks is priceless...heck i use the the 8000 baitrunner to freeline live bait... i just feed the line and when the gamefish hit it...all you do is reel no messing with drag flipping bails or any of the other stuff people do....and again this is something that works great for me, might not be your cup of tea... but hey as long as you are happy with the way you fish... go for it and enjoy

7 hours ago, Drako said:

First off the baitrunner feature was made for soaking dead and live bait... i agree if you are going to have your setup in your hand then why bother with this feature..

...and as far and leaving your drag super loose then tighten it down while a fish is running off with it, well thats just crazy talk:eek: 

I agree 100%. And like you, I love these LL secondary drag reels for my guests on the boat