killapete3

Live Liner/Bait Runner Feature is it worth it?

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

You determine the worth of a reel by how it makes fishing easier for you..

I use shimano regular Baitrunner and the Thunnus baitrunner and there isnt enough

good things i can say about either of these reels....

You set the second drag to the method that you are fishing.... and when the game fish take off with it you pick

it up and reel... no messing with trying to tighten down the drag or any other ways people do it...

It keeps it simple and the older shimano baitrunners are Tanks they are going for $$$$$ on fleabay... people came to

realize how strong they were compared to the newer models and most went back :D

Hell i have a couple of NIB 6500 and Thunnus.... so i'm set for the end of days... LOL...

Penns earlier manual secondary drag engagement feature was the best imo but due to public outcry they changed it . I'm convinced the majority never understood the benefits of a manual engagement feature and that's unfortunate. Many looked at it like Penn was being lazy in choosing not to go with the auto feature. What a shame

I couldn't agree more on the manual engagement. When freelining a livebait the auto engaging Liveliner/Baitrunner reels are a PITA when taking up slack is necessary due to current or a bait swimming about.

It is a very simple process to make a newer 560L act like the original manual engaging 5600L. All you have to do is remove part key numbers 76 and 77 as shown on the reel schematic, then reassemble the reel and go fishing.

Second the vote on the Thunnus!  Definitely worth investing if you are doing any (snag/drop) bait fishing.  Bass will always jump on the lame bunker...easy target.  The only thing you must remember is not to "swing" before you close the bait runner...You will pull the bait and lose your catch...I see this happen all of the time fishing on OB trips with folks who aren't used to using these reels...I did it myself a few time before learning this valuable lesson.

I couldn't agree more on the manual engagement. When freelining a livebait the auto engaging Liveliner/Baitrunner reels are a PITA when taking up slack is necessary due to current or a bait swimming about.

It is a very simple process to make a newer 560L act like the original manual engaging 5600L. All you have to do is remove part key numbers 76 and 77 as shown on the reel schematic, then reassemble the reel and go fishing.

I know it's simple and i think your mentioning removing the trip spring and trip lever on the 560L model will help the guys who want to convert their auto engagement Liveliner into the manual engaged one. Appreciated::th:

A lot of conventional reels have the feature built-in by having a clicker (just put the reel in free spool and turn the clicker on). However, I've had some experiences with clickers that are "hard" and really require quite a tug to go off; it's not a big deal if you're watching the pole but it is if you have multiple poles out and/or are just not paying attention to it for whatever reason. I also always worried a fish can feel that clicker resistance. I like the baitrunner/live-liner feature in the spinning reels because it lets you adjust the tension... you can lock the bait down when you need to or keep it very loose to detect slight takes (and anything in between, of course). Works fell for live-lining or just cut bait or chunk fishing.

Short and simple though, yes, thebaitrunner/live-liner feature is great for bait fishing. The cool thing is you can use the reel as a "regular" spinning reel too (just turn the live-liner/baitrunner switch off), so I'd recommend it.

If you're still unsure if you'd like it or not, maybe try and find a cheap/used Okuma Avenger (baitfeeder model). I can't speak for the quality of it, but you could get a feel for the feature with that if you're unsure about committing bigger bucks to a Penn or Shimano.

I HAVE A OKUMA BAIT RUNNER 12000D AND I USED IN A PIER (KEANSBURG FISHING PIER KATTY PIER)  AND WORK PERFECT , SPECIAL FOR THE BIG BLUES, ON THE FIRST HIT, THE FISH NEVER KNOW WHAT HAPEN  IN TO IS SO LATE..... I HAVE THIS REEL FOR THE LAST 4 YEARS AND WORK EXCELLENT EVERY TIME....

I have the Shimano Baitrunner 8000D and I've even used it for shark fishing off the beach in Florida, it's an awesome reel and the baitrunner option makes it all you'll need for snagging and livelining/chunking bunker.

When i used the bait runner i know, any hit is a fish on the hook and later in the pan.  The circular hook is the 2nd helper when you use the bait runner i like a lot this reel,  i have two of them one okuma AFB90 and one shimano 6500, and have a lot of good memories with this two rrels....

I have no use for the baitrunner feature, since I like to stay tight to my bait all the time.  The other thing that worries me about using the baitrunner feature is that fish must swallow the bait all the time and thus I would hope all these folks who like the feature are using circle hooks or there must be an awful of gut hooked fish being caught.  Heck, while livelining macks you sometimes can't set the hook fast enough even if you're tight to the mack.  It seems unavoidable that chunks/worms/clams especially would be gone down the throat way before an angler picked up his rod and got back onto the regular drag.

It really all depends on the areas and type of fishing you do.

for me, the baitrunner isnt worth it. I can just open my bail and let the bait or plug drift with the current. Even if im using the "bait and wait" method, ill just loosen my drag a little and wait.

Its all pretty much personal preference.

:th: